Differences between the 520 and the 521?

Roger

Hello, I'm interested in an early Datsun 520 or 521 and need to know the difference. I know the 520 has the 1300 engine and the 521 has the 1600. Is their much difference in power or economy? Modification or parts availability? Any other major considerations I should be aware of? Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the front ends are different but the main coveted thing is that the 520 has a smooth metal dash that bolts into the 521 im pretty sure some 520's has an l16 in them i dont think theyr all j13's unfortunatly they both have all wheel drum. early 520's have 2 headlights later one's have 4 and all 521's are 4 headlights hope that kinda helps

• Like 1

Hi there Roger, It depends on what the future is for the truck on which one you want, yes the dash is all metal and that is a big plus, I have that dash in all my 521 series trucks. The engine compartment in the 520 is shorter, this makes it harder to put certain engines in it, such as the L series(more power that the J series), not impossible, just more difficult. Also the L series blocks have easier to find upgrades, such as dual su packages(more power), headers, ect. The early 521 also came with the J block(520 only came with the smaller engines), but the J block sheet metal for the radiator is easy to remove and allows you to drop a L series engine into the stock size L series hole of the later 521s, it even has the holes for the L series radiator install(J series trucks). As "fryenretards" mentioned the frontend sheet metal/grill parts are also differant, and harder to find in good condition, but they only made the 520 for a few years, so it has a more classic/older look. I had the chance to buy a 520 convertible truck last year, I did not buy it because i could not see any way to put a SD22 diesel engine in it, and that is what I wanted to do. Well, one of the members of this forum somehow wedged it in there(awesome job guy), so I guess I don.t know everything. The single headlight version of the 520(such as the MX520 truck Bob3 has) is the one I would want if I had a choice. There is also a guy that goes by "mklotz70" I beleave, that sells a disc brake package that bolts right up to the kingpin setup on the 520/521 series trucks, that is a good upgrade. I hope this helps you. wayno

The 520 became the 521 in October '68 and was known as the L521 (J13 motor) until June '69 when it received the L16 motor and was known as the PL521 from then on. So yes you are right there were J13s in the L521.

is it the 520 that has the same front end as the 410/ or 411????

I beleave that they are close enough that the 410?/411? owners are able to use the 520 fenders with some modifacations/welding? on there cars. The prior statment is here/say though. What about it 410/411 guys, how close are they? wayno

The 520 became the 521 in October '68 and was known as the L521 (J13 motor) until June '69 when it received the L16 motor and was known as the PL521 from then on. So yes you are right there were J13s in the L521.

I actaually had a 1300cc 521 as my first truck.

It was sold to me as a '71 but had the small taillights and bullet front side marker lights.

I knew the '71 registration was wrong as I could never get the right parts listings for engine parts.

My dad eventually wrote this truck off when he hit a stationwagon.

The little J13's are a bit anemic but I did once manage to get it up to 80mph driving downhill from a ski hill.I hit a set of frost heaves and that put an end to me trying to go fast in the little truck.

im rebuilding my all wheel drum simply cuz its cheap for me to do it. i know saying this is gunna cauze all kinds of controversy but o well lol. now my buddy who has a 71 521 for the front disk brakes he just straight swapped, no fancy brackets or anything, the front disk's off a 620 the first year they had disk on them and used one washer to space it somewhere just a regular washer. he used all of the unsprung what not's off it, the control arms spindle rotor caliper and bracket. and it bolted straight up. ive seen it and he did it. believe me or not but thats what im gunna do on mine eventually

• 2 weeks later...

im rebuilding my all wheel drum simply cuz its cheap for me to do it. i know saying this is gunna cauze all kinds of controversy but o well lol. now my buddy who has a 71 521 for the front disk brakes he just straight swapped, no fancy brackets or anything, the front disk's off a 620 the first year they had disk on them and used one washer to space it somewhere just a regular washer. he used all of the unsprung what not's off it, the control arms spindle rotor caliper and bracket. and it bolted straight up. ive seen it and he did it. believe me or not but thats what im gunna do on mine eventually

put washers or shims on the shock towers to compensate for your angles.

The problem with the upper A frame arm is it is not long enough, the tower allows you to ajust the upper A arm towards the engine, but not away from the engine. fryenretards is using 620 upper and lower arms, upper and lower balljoints, spindle, rotors, and calipers on a 521 frame. Since he is going to bag it(air bags), then they might not even be using the upper tower, most of the pictures I have seen they cut the upper tower out and make there own upper mount. Also when they lower the front that far the tire has to tilt toward the engine just to clear the fender. There are differant rules when you get into lowering vehicles to the ground. wayno

Drum brakes can stop just as fast and straight as disc brakes. But the disc brakes are far more fade resistent so repeated stops and long downhill grades are less of a problem. Plus discs are self adjusting and it is far easier to change the pads than drum shoes.

But 520 and 521 the same, no disc brakes.

• 7 months later...

Drum brakes can stop just as fast and straight as disc brakes. But the disc brakes are far more fade resistent so repeated stops and long downhill grades are less of a problem. Plus discs are self adjusting and it is far easier to change the pads than drum shoes.

But 520 and 521 the same, no disc brakes.

How can one compensate for the amount of pedal pressure required for my drums, are they just worn?

Mike the J series 521 is called P521 not L521....L designates the L series motor. With the L series motor the truck became the PL521.

• 1 month later...

Mike the J series 521 is called P521 not L521....L designates the L series motor. With the L series motor the truck became the PL521.

Sorry Dave....you're close, but that's a bit backwards. The "L" designates Left hand drive. The "P" denotes the L-series engine :) On a 320, the "N" denotes the sport model(unitized cab/bed) and the "L" was still for the left hand drive. That's why in the states the 520 was an L520, not a P520 :)

Diff between 520/521....the engine bay is about 3" shorter. I've seen L-series motors squeezed in, but they don't fit easily. If you get a '68-69 521 with a J-series motor, you will need/want to find an L-series frame and cut the motor mounts off to make the swap easier.

If you're in Maryland.....I'm guessing you're not going to have much choice and will take whatever Datsun truck you manage to find :)

Sorry Dave....you're close, but that's a bit backwards. The "L" designates Left hand drive. The "P" denotes the L-series engine :) On a 320, the "N" denotes the sport model(unitized cab/bed) and the "L" was still for the left hand drive. That's why in the states the 520 was an L520, not a P520 :)

Diff between 520/521....the engine bay is about 3" shorter. I've seen L-series motors squeezed in, but they don't fit easily. If you get a '68-69 521 with a J-series motor, you will need/want to find an L-series frame and cut the motor mounts off to make the swap easier.

If you're in Maryland.....I'm guessing you're not going to have much choice and will take whatever Datsun truck you manage to find :)

Hey Mike, he had a 70 datsun PU shipped out of Grants Pass Or. back to Maryland a while back, it had one of those dealer installed paris valley canopys, so he was looking for a seafoam green tailgate also. It also had a very worn idler arm, it was very entertaining for a while.

I sometimes find myself paying close attention to detail on these trucks. It's easier to list whats the same rather than what's different between the 520 and 521's.

same,

brake drums & backing plates

ebrake cables on some

brake shoes

rear bumpers

tailgates

back window

dome light

floor mat

seat

steering wheels vary

dash knobs for the most part

glove box insert

rear view cabin mirror

hub caps/wheels, possibly wheel bearings

radio delete plate

door sill plates

king pins

most of front suspension

door panels/interior panels

window and door release handles

side glass

might be missing a few small odd's and ends but I think that's about it. Everything else is different in one way or another. But because it's different, it doesn't mean any of those different parts won't interchange.

add my 2 cents in here...i have all drum brakes on my race datsun, 6.20's 1/8 mile...although i did get a disc brake kit from Mr. Mike Klotz(Datsun Guru)...

i recomend saving up and buying west coast(arizona) datsun and paying $1,000 shipping or road trip it with uhaul truck, as these east coast datsuns are RUSTY...

Good luck and hope 2c it on the road!!!

???Can you change 520 front end to a 521????