One of the best days of my life!!

Today was really awesome. My daughter was asking me why I loved datsun's so much, I explained to her how many we had growing up, the memories we had of family road trips in the 620 king cab, mom and dad up fron, me and my brother riding behind the seats sittin on pillows with our backs to the side, going up in the mountains for days on end pickin huckleberris and sleepin in the bed......and the greatest day was right after I turned 11 my dad took me out on an old county road and learned me how to drive the kingcab. I still remember the feel of the steering wheel, and how you could let the clutch out easy with no gas and take off, finding my way through the 5 speed for the first time.

So today we got to recreate that. We headed out in my 620 to the same old couty road my dad taught me to drive on back when, and I got to pass on my knowledge and skills with my Datsun just the way my dad did for me!! It was truly an amazing feeling, and hopefully I am fostering a whole new era of datsun maniacs!!

Now when I was 12 my dad ripped the distributor off the 620, took the cap rotor and all the plug wires off onto the ground, cranked the engine over, handed me the tools, the factory service manual and told me to put it back right.......started me right down the road to being who I am today!! It is days like today that being a Dad is worth everything it takes!!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the dream alive Bill! I didn't know you had a daughter! Sounds like my first truck. Except it was punctuated by dad shouting, don't peel out, the tires are showing cords! :D Went through a lot of tires after that first set too.

Just remember when you go to look at her rig, if you open the hood and find grass and dirt and mud, it's only because she took it through a field full bore. :) I almost got a permanently wider asshole that night!

Thanks Matt, some kids were born full throttle, and you my friend have that in your veins!! I grew up with datsuns galore, so I learned low and slow LOL...........I still remember taking my 720 longbox up to keggers here in high school, roads ruttted sooo bad from spring break-up that guys in 4x4's were having a hard time, and here comes this datsun rolling low pro's on 15" wheels lowered 4 inches straddling all of these ruts and shit with a bed full of food and beer..............man those were the days!!

Bill

Thats cool.

I took my nephew out drivin in the 521 cuz all his parents have are automatics. He loved it! Was a little scared f the Datsun brakes though. I told him you just have to plan ahead a little more when you drive this ol girl. He wants to drive it all the time now :D

How did we ever survive road trips in Datsuns with no seatbelts? My father had a 1970 521 and all 4 of us would go out in that thing - dad driving, brother in the middle, mom in passenger seat and me in moms lap. People would call the cops if they saw that today!

I know that is what makes me wonder how we got here today. My dad used to have a lit cig hanging from his lips filling up the datsun, along with almost everyone else too lol. seatbelts were a novelty. It was totally cool to have a beer or two on your drive home..........

I made it. how about you?

...took the cap rotor and all the plug wires off onto the ground, cranked the engine over, handed me the tools, the factory service manual and told me to put it back right

fuckin dads! :rofl:

at least you had the manual. thats more than most today!

my son turned 8 today!