L Motors Rock!

Jason

The fact is, these amazing A series engines are much more closely linked, technologicly, with what you'd find in a 1915 Chervrolet [believe it] than anything made since the 80's, yet they not only punched above their weight, but they keep on punching above their weight, even today.

Any shade tree machanic that ever pulled down a Briggs & Stratton, & has enough education to read a manual, can build one of these engines & make it run sweetly.

Use one in something light, like a B10 or a 1200, & a well tricked A series engine turns into a street weapon.

With carefull component selection, these dinosour designed 'monkey motion' motors will cost less, & run harder that you can imagine, yet get fuel mileage that your drink'n mates just won't believe. Add a hot gas whizz wheel induction, & you can keep your fancy cammer engines.

I want something I can maintain with whats in the factory tool roll, using change from my beer money.

Light weight, ... both car & engine, that's the secret, & as for reliability, you can keep one running till the sun grows cold.

Hey kb I'm on your side, the only dinosaur engine I keep around is the A series. Just like you said the are tuff as nails. Out of the 2 12 hundys I had the a12 a14 they just wouldn't die. My first 1200 which I sold(I saw it at blue lake last summer) is still running. When I picked it up it had sat for over 5 years. I pored gas down the carb and it fired right up, well until the gas was gone. Now for the crazy part, I pored gas down the carb one more time just to see if the carb would take over. it reved to about 2500 rpms, then gas started spraying out of the breather on the valve cover. Yeah gas! I was very confused at this point, it did explain why the gas tank was empty. So I drained the "oil" about 2 gallons and add some fresh stuff. I spent a few hours on it that day and got it driving. I ended up buying a new carb. When I did go to sell it GG was the fist person to look at it, he ended up buying a mint condition one later on. The one I own now is GG old project car, I drove it as a daily driver for a while. It smokes a bit but never dies.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought my '76 B-210 new and it gave around 36 mpg average and much higher on a trip... seem to remember into the 40s. GM was producing those gawd awful Vega and Astra - mobiles that were said to get 32 but never got above 25mpg. How many of these GM cars are still on the road today? (not counting the 350 ones) My B-210 was light, fast, and could handle. Vega's were hunks 'o junk. A buddy with a 1200 Honda something ran one and it wasn't even close.

The B210 had a magazine ad claiming 50mpg.

Nifty Fifty

Ahh, the Nifty Fifty, with the strong, very strong, 63 series 5 speed trans, but here's a little quiz for you. Under identical conditions, with identical cars, we can get better than 10% more miles per gallon over here, than you can over there, ............ why is it so?

[Answer in about 24 hrs or less]

Ahh, the Nifty Fifty, with the strong, very strong, 63 series 5 speed trans, but here's a little quiz for you. Under identical conditions, with identical cars, we can get better than 10% more miles per gallon over here, than you can over there, ............ why is it so?

[Answer in about 24 hrs or less]

Not that I am claiming to be extra smart or anything I just can't help but take a swing at this riddle. :D If all conditions are the same it seems I must look for the only differences.

A. Fuel grade.. Our fuel is a lower octane, and contains 10% ethanol. Going from 76 to am/pm can result in 5 mph on the economy cars over here.

B. Pollution regulations would be another. Just because it burns cleaner doesn't always mean you are getting maximum efficiency.

C. People in America are just plain "bigger" than the rest of the world. I heard a interesting fact. "A overweight person burns on average 14 gallons of extra fuel a year. haha I'm sure that is about a 32 of a mpg, funny though :D

What do I win :D

I got a question for you.... Was the b210 called the "niffty sixty" over there :D haha couldn't resist.

Ahhh, you need to read the quiz again, .... "under IDENTICAL conditions." Same fuel, same weight, hell, it could even be the same car & driver.

Think 'internationally'

We never got the 5 speed trans behind any of the A series engines in any model, you blokes got all the good stuff. Well, ..... some of the good stuff, so we never got the equivalant of the Nifty Fifty.

What do you win? A warm fuzzy feeling for being smarter & quicker than anyone else.

Edit

Lets keep it interesting & say that we would actually get almost 20% more mileage on a gallon of fuel over here, all things pertaining to the car & road conditions being identical.

Ahhh, you need to read the quiz again, .... "under IDENTICAL conditions." Same fuel, same weight, hell, it could even be the same car & driver.

Think 'internationally'

We never got the 5 speed trans behind any of the A series engines in any model, you blokes got all the good stuff. Well, ..... some of the good stuff, so we never got the equivalant of the Nifty Fifty.

What do you win? A warm fuzzy feeling for being smarter & quicker than anyone else.

Hey my guesses weren't to bad :)

That explains a lot, I remember reading the 1200 sight and wondering why they all put the toyota 5 speeds in there cars. Now I know.... Dude if you could only see our junk yards...... so sad, no one cares about any 210 or b210 Besides datsunaholic he has a soft spot for them. The only datsun's that will bring any sort of real money are the 620's, Z's and pl510's the rest, forget it. So how much would a A series 5 speed be worth down there? We could get a container shipped that way :) I could of bought a working a14 with dogleg 5 speed for a 100 bucks today.

Think 'internationally'

A gallon in Australia is larger than it is in the U.S. measurement system. ;)

I hope that you feel all warm & fuzzy because you are right.

A US gallon is 3.7854 litres, while we use [or once used] the 'full measure' Imperial gallon which is 4.54609 litres. Thats something like 19.9% more.

Good one Thomas.

EDIT

Icehouse, you would need to get onto the http://Datsun1200.com site to see what those tight fisted blokes will pay.

Keep in mind that the premiom would be on the Japspec gearboxes simply because they use a cable clutch, same as us [right drive] while you have the hydraulic actuation & that involves quite a bit more work to install the whole thing.

On the upside, if the 60 series four speed gearbox case is the same as one of the two 60 series five speeds, then 60 series boxes should find a good home over here.

Why thank you.

Dam that Thomas always being smarter than me :) I had 3 right answers :P

I'm not smarter than you, it just depends one what field of knowledge we're jumping into. :)

And anyway, if you read the question carefully, the answer kind of presents itself. . . Then all you need is wikipedia. ;)