Customized my EI Distributor

fisch

Had a little too much fun on my EI dist this weekend! The second pic will show you what I started with. It had a really lousy spray job on it with runs checking and scrapes, and my bay looks sorry enough as is, so I sanded it down to metal and started over.

Question for y'all. The sleeve on the bottom of the dist was broken, (see 2nd pic) and I have a new sleeve to replace it (thanks Jovial), but how the hell do I get that little pin out of end in order to put the new one on. Is it some sort of compression pin? I don't want to pound the hell out of that little guy. Or do I?

MyED.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the pin that's left in it....if one end is mushroomed at all, tap with a hammer from the other end. it's best if you can hold the shaft in a vise. Use a small dift pin punch to push it through the shaft. When you put it back in, hammer the mushroomed end or it will never go in. You'll also want to pay attention to the offset of the slot in the plastic piece or your rotor will be 180 out when you put it back in.

Nice work!!!

looks good...you planning to convert it to EI or have you already?

Well I got that lil bugger of a pin out with an allen wrench nib and a bit 'o tapping. Question, the new metal sleeve is longer than the slotted doohicky inside it. I assume this is correct, but since the plastic one was busted I don't know how long it was before.

71-521 I am indeed planning the swap, but have yet to do so. Trying to decide whether to upgrade my coil or run the stock l16 coil w/o the ballast resistor. I hear it will work, but have not verified anyone running it that way. Anyone? Then again, Blaster 2's are pretty cheap,(and already red!) so I might just go that way. And Hainz just posted a hell of an easy looking diagram for the MSD in the other dist thread going on (thanks for that HAinz!)

The sleeve should go down around the shaft with no prob as long as it's not a ton longer. It's the dizzy shaft bottoming out on the drive shaft that would cause grief. Shouldn't be an issue.

You do not want to run the stock coil without a resistor. The coil is only designed for 6-8volts. You need an EI coil. All the cheap performance coils I've looked at were designed to be run with the resistor as well...you'd better check the directions first.