My first car, a 510...And ZX N/A->T

Also my turn signals don't work, They are just solid lights. :(

Probably wired the front turn signals wrong. They seem to be tricky, even with 3 wiring diagrams, I cant seem to get the left side to work right. I do know a certain configuration will result on the turn signals staying on constantly, even the dash lights.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably wired the front turn signals wrong. They seem to be tricky, even with 3 wiring diagrams, I cant seem to get the left side to work right. I do know a certain configuration will result on the turn signals staying on constantly, even the dash lights.

They where wired before I got the car... So I assume that's the reason.

Thanks.

Took it out again, seems to be running really rich.. .some backfiring on engine breaking still.

timed to 12BTDC, valve lash checked... Checking the compression right now.

Ahh lol FML, I was rotating the engine by hand. laugh.gif

Cranked with starter and nearly fiented at these results...

170-170-170-170. all +/- around 3psi deviation

WHAT?!?!?! PERFECT!?!?!

With throttle opened, ect...

It seems to be overheating when I tune the idle mixture depending... whats going on? too lean? But the engine is running rich!!

Well, it nearly overheated twice on me... Found the problem!! the dizzy bolt was not tight enough and the ignition retarded itself!! Its now running fine. I showed it off to the Z guy at kragans. biggrin.gif

I thought it was too lean, but after I fixed the timing I tuned it and its running good now, ~1000rpm idle. Should run better with a full exhaust system, I am going to troy's on tuesday. smile.gif

:thumbup:

do you have the fuel line secure?

from falling into the fan?

Eh? Its stainless braided sleeving, its not going anywhere!! And yes, its secured with hose clamps!

I checked that fuel line again, even at maximum droop in its full range of movement it will never get less than ~10mm from the fan blade.

i like this 510... those rims on your first set of pics are my favorite. i have rota rb's on my daily..

Thanks. The 14's are really cool. But I'm pretty sure some of them are bent!! :( The front ones where wobbling, might have just been the ancient tires. I will take them to a shop once I have the cash and maybe throw some really sticky tires on them for racing.

You have to really see the 13's in person to appreciate them, but maybe not the best on this car's color. eventually I think I'm gonna get some silver RB's then eventually to Japanese style rims. cool.gif

Once the carburetor is sorted out, and the exhaust is tamed this is going to be a really really fun car! The roadster clutch and lightweight flywheel allow for lightning quick shifts, that are also smooth!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I drove it around as much as possible.. put 450 miles onto it, changed oil, and now I'm in Los Angeles with it!

Here's some pics from my last drive(in the bay area)

img20110906145519.jpg

img20110906145455.jpg

That was on skyline boulevard (highway 35) too much fun.

Carb needs to be rejetted, I need adjustable TC rods to align it, and RCA's to stop that annoying bump steer.

But... it works! cool.gif

Thanks to everyone who helped with tech info!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Thanks! I cannot stop keeping it up man!

Something found its way into my goon... And I brought them home.

img20120202182611.jpg

I originally put all 4 wheels in the back of it, I went down the road a single freeway exit at 60mph and the diff was slapping over every pebble. Rode a lot nicer with them distributed better.

Had a short chat with a guy at the gas station aswell, he asked if it was an 80's model, I said 72 and he was like wow how do you keep it running. laugh.gif

img20120202191139.jpg

*snipped cause shitty pics..

cool.gif

@alex datsun, handles worlds better aswell! It finally looks how I wanted it to.

@spitznoz, A good story is always fun! I still send pics to the previous owner.. he misses his goon. sad.gif

Also, I wear his girlfriends(now his wife) old sunglasses which I found in the glovebox. cool.gif

img20120205212716.jpg

Thanks to Brian (AKA Hurley) who sold me the Konig rims and tires.

Also, check out the time difference in my posts, you get a real idea of how long it took for me to figure this out. Things really picked up when I got a garage.

I could not find the first picture I ever took of the car... Its nowhere to be found, but I did find the second picture I ever took!

img00992.jpg

This was after we moved the white 2dr, and backed the goon into the street waiting for the tow truck.

I still don't know who ended up with the 71 2dr.

Edit 2/5/12, go to last post... ollz.

Technically, my Toyota Cressida is my first car. Though this is the first car I have bought myself.

My first post, I thought i'de share my 72' wagon, a pretty long project on a low budget.

The guy I got this from loved 510's, he also had a 71' coupe. He had a kid, and they both where sitting non-running for about 5 years.

So I bought his wagon, it does not have an engine in it, he sold it to me with LOTS of parts, a rebuilt L20b and 280zx 5-speed, ect.

Here it is with 684,000 miles on the chassis.

imag0027.jpg

Its in pretty damn good condition for the storage time, all rust is exterior. Nothing is rusted through. I removed the seats to clean it out when I got it.

img01001z.jpg

imag0020m.jpg

imag0024fa.jpg

280zx coilovers!

imag0023up.jpg

imag0012t.jpg

So more will come later. I'm currently waiting for the rest of the transmission rebuild kit. Just stocking up on all the parts I need before I can assemble it.

Unfortunately I cannot garage it because my dads S2000 is kept in there, But I keep it covered.

Anyways, this will be a work in progress for the next year or so, but I'm hoping to drop the engine in the car within a month.

I'm rebuilding all the brakes, I will upgrade them to ZX front brakes later. I still need a clutch/flywheel for it also. From there I can drop the engine in and see what i'm missing, hehe.

This is my first time messing with cars, so any tips or advice would be helpful.

where did u get those adjustable shocks and how much were they

where did u get those adjustable shocks and how much were they

Those are shortened 510 struts with MR-2 rear BZ3099 tokico illumina shocks.

They go LOWWW, the height in my pictures are as high as they will go.

Rears are NOS tokico, I'm going to get some KYB AGX 743019 to upgrade.

Check out this thread, some useful info. http://community.rat...ar-shock-guide/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Son_of_a_Datsun_Guy, I am also a big fan of your goon!! I wish mine was as clean as yours!

The Konigs are 15x7 0 offset, rear fitment is fine with rolled fenders, front rolled fenders shortened 510 struts MR-2 insurts and camber plates with aggressive camber get them to fit.

I still need to swap my ZX struts which would pull the front +15 to fix the camber. Tyre size is 195-55-15.

Front fitment with rolled fender and max negative camber w/ T3 plates. I'm currently at a bit less negative, as little as I can run without excessive scraping.

408798_246098268801428_21332261_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Before;

IMAG0336.jpg

After:

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

^that ZX is stock height vs lowered 510, rofl.

Finally got a family member to help me clean up the families mess. Also I own a 280zx now.

Took like 6 hours, been trying to get someone to help me with it for 6 months.

Also, the ZX is longer than my 510.

IMAG0380.jpg

CANDEEHH!H!!

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Blah blah boring thread, vroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5qrMT-ROOE&feature=youtube_gdata

I aligned the toe with string, a straight edge, and a level. It drives straight when I let go of the wheel now!

Bled the brakes, right side still grips harder, pads are nearly gone again. Brakes fade bad after 5 minutes of downhill.

Rear drums are in great shape, hardly any wear and looking as good as when I installed them.

I'm still wrestling with the understeer and underbraking, but overall its becoming more and more balanced.

Brake dust.. .Brake dust everywhere! 30 miles after clean rim.

IMAG0421.jpg

The rear suspension setup. Thought it was a cool picture. Its stiff but I need more leafs!

IMAG0416.jpg