My first car, a 510...And ZX N/A->T

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flywheel I have is a 5-bolt from an L16, so its not going to work.

I was going to go with zx clutch/flywheel since i'de assume its the highest chance of being bolt-on with no problems.

Edit, I forgot to mention the previous owner called me and he has found the keys to the locking gas cap. So its nice I don't have to drill it off!

edit2, Oh also I have seen that in the junkyard around here theres a 280zx with complete front struts/brakes, are used calipers any good vs remanufactured?

edit3, Also what size tires to run on my 13x5.5 wheels? (YES, I have google'd all of this!)

edit4, I noticed that both my brothers car(350z) and my dads car(S2000) block from down shifting to first at 8mph(Z) and 20mph(S2k), does the ZX trans also have this? Is that a synchro problem, or feature?

I'm assuming double posts are OK, since its not in the forum rules saying otherwise.

Are Valeo clutches any good? google'ing now. Also some other questions in my post above...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c50b94ee5

EDIT, also on the calipers, can I paint them with regular rustoleum primer and paint, or should I use that high temp stuff?

This is me talking.

I would fins a 200mm 6bolt flywheel if you have a L20. then get a 510 disc 510 t/o bearing sleeve and a Roadster pressure plate as its a 650KG unit.nissanparts.cc you can get the Roadster P/P

yes you can use the 280zx struts. But I dont know if you have to mod and swap springs or not. Be honest I forgot.

Veleo clutches are OK but Daiken would be better Daiken /Exedy

if you order a Z car 280z or zx clutch there were so many variation in the T/O bearing set up. You might have to drop the trans again. But hopefully soembody elese can help you on this.get soem good tools and flarnut wrenches

This is me talking.

I would fins a 200mm 6bolt flywheel if you have a L20. then get a 510 disc 510 t/o bearing sleeve and a Roadster pressure plate as its a 650KG unit.nissanparts.cc you can get the Roadster P/P

yes you can use the 280zx struts. But I dont know if you have to mod and swap springs or not. Be honest I forgot.

Veleo clutches are OK but Daiken would be better Daiken /Exedy

if you order a Z car 280z or zx clutch there were so many variation in the T/O bearing set up. You might have to drop the trans again. But hopefully soembody elese can help you on this.get soem good tools and flarnut wrenches

Ok cool, thanks for the help.

So something like this roadster clutch kit for the pressure plate,

http://www.speedycarparts.com/sku/Nissan_1600_Auto-Com_Clutch-Kit_1966_1970_ACI31-81013.html

Then maybe this for the clutch disc,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110465145021&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=820a7b411290a04370c25de2ffffe243&rvr_id=&ua=%3F*S%3F&itemid=110465145021#ht_500wt_956

And i'm still searching for a flywheel, hehe.

Ooh tranny rebuild! not easy. can be done though :D

Any tips on removing the front countershaft bearing? It says to use a two-legged puller which i'm using but its bending before the bearing moves at all. Was going to try heating it, maybe that will work.

Also, my floor jack is too tall to fit under the differential...Should I just use the spare tire jack?

Got any suggestions for removing the paint on the fender and hood?

imag0086q.jpg

Got quite filthy sitting around for so long...

imag0085k.jpg

imag0087wv.jpg

It got dark before I got to the other wheel, but the calipers are in fine condition. very little or no rust, just needs new pads. biggrin.gif

^a muffler shop?

i have a 1.5" off(still hanging :rolleyes: ) my wagon, from collector back. IIRC was ~$100 w/new muffler.

For all the piping and everything? Damn, not bad. Thanks for the info.

Coming along... Trans rebuild still stalled so I took off the fender to paint it.

imag0098.jpg

I think primer grey would look ALOT better than brown on an orange car. laugh.gif

• 3 months later...

Sad I have completed so little in the past 5 months since I posted in this thread... Though I have collected many, many more parts towards getting this running. Hoping to be running by the end of the year...(HA)

Anyway, I got some solex locks installed. There was some surface rust on the door around the lock, thats why I stripped all of that. Forgot to get a pic.

From china...

imag0411.jpg

The locks didn't fit into the 510 the way they are suppose to go in.

imag0414v.jpg

I cut it to fit. It looks a lot smoother than this when I was finished, I forgot to get a pic though.

imag0416.jpg

I just sprayed a little primer onto where I had removed the paint from the metal.

imag0420t.jpg

I forgot to get pics from before, but here is the finished lock on the other door. Sloppy job with the primer, didn't think of the over spray. :(

imag0421.jpg

Other things. polished my wheels, got tires then found out my wheels where 4x100.

imag0398j.jpg

imag0399.jpg

imag0409t.jpg

Trans crossmember.

imag0366e.jpg

And lots of other things, I got distributor cap/rotor, brake pads/shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, clutch master/slave, ect. Also looked through all the cool stuff I got with the car, complete set of new front bushings, ect. Even got my engine hoist!

I'm going to finish assembling everything soon. I still have some stuff to buy before I will have everything.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I've been working a lot lately, and being lazy and not really working on my car...unsure.gif

Most noob project ever... lol

I threw some new tires on it.

img20110414145257.jpg

wat.

img20110414172026.jpg

img20110414173201.jpg

img20110414180110.jpg

Basically this means I will be able to finish the project effectively now.

Though we get they keys and into the garage for the first time after out tour of the place, and they still have not cleaned it out! ! Can't see it in the pic, but its completely filthy. Spider webs and spiders everywhere, they didn't even bother sweeping it out.

So this means all my stuff is still at the old house, but the car is in there and covered... blegh.