FUCK YA 510!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I didn't see that on my phone. Well if you can find a way to get it its yours.

maybe skib will bring it down on his way to a boise meet :D he said he wants too get "do it in a datsun" tattooed on his forhead while he's here. :lol:

emails from a previous owner!

Gage,

Adam Nelson forwarded me your e-mail concerning the 510 race car. The picture absolutely made me ill. I built that car in 2003 to race in the Minis at the now defunct Chaparral Speedway. Unfortunately, my Pro 4 car captured my full attention that year, and I never raced this car. I sold it to Mike Chavez, who ran it about a season and a half, in my colors the first year, then repainted the second season. He walled the car, then sold it and the parts car and spares to Rich Gipson, who raced it 06 and 07 I believe. He didn't run locally as I recall. Exactly when Joe King got the car I do not know, but he absolutely ruined this car. He has a reputation for screwing things up mortally, I might add. As built, it was painted like John Morton's Trans Am Datsun, from BRE. This car was resurrected from the wreckage of Steve Wilmorth's old car, built in 1977. The cage, engine, and some of the suspension components are original pieces, the body and chassis were all new in 2003. I'll dig up some pics and scan them, and send them to you. Where is the car now? What are your plans for it? I'd like to see it restored and autocrossed, and raced in the hillclimbs. The 510 sheet metal is getting hard to come by, and many of the local Mini Stock racers are idiots who have no respect for others equipment, or their own, for that matter. I guess I sound kinda jaded, but this little car was a labor of love for me, and seeing it abused like this is pretty hard to take. Anyway, no matter. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

Best Regards,

Alan Greene

.......................................................................................................................

Gage,

You got the car from Donovan Parker.....LOL! I laugh because he ALWAYS seems to end up with my old race cars! That race motor you speak of....if it is the one from from the 510, it has some pretty good vintage pieces in it. That is a hybrid L-20 block with a late factory SSS head. That thing has some NICE port work done to it. It also has a NISMO cam, with the oil spray bar, and all the good springs, etc. Dennis Scott built that head back in 77, at the same time the original car was built. He had it on an L-16 bottom end. A bit of trivia....look close at the body on that car. It was a four door when I started. I used two door doors, and welded in the rear 2/3 of the rear doors! I got that car from Donovan's buddy, Brandon Shira. I know where there are two four door 510s for parts. One is at the old XXXXXXXX. Slim has it. The other is in Caldwell. There is also another up by Atlanta I MIGHT be able to get. Yes, the car was red, white and blue. Look online and find Brock Racing Engineering, or BRE. Pete Brock built three 510s to run in the SCCA 2.5 Trans Am class back in 69-70. The one John Morton drove to the championship is the one I cloned.

Brock Racing Enterprises Datsun 510 Racing History Scene | Sport Compact Car M

Check out this link! I'll send you some photos later of your car as it appeared just after the Boise Roadster Show in 03.

Alan Greene

..........................................................................................

Gage,

I'll talk to the Chavez boys, and see if I can find some on track pics. A friend also has a bunch of Chaparral Speedway Mini Stock video, so there's a good possibility that he may have video footage of the car in action. I still have the Datsun Performance Manual with the BRE car on the cover. Good info in there.

I built that car specifically to display in the chaparral booth at the 2003 Boise Roadster Show. I put that little mother together in just about 6 weeks of spare time. As I recall, I spent just a bit over $500 on it, and I later bought all the left over mechanical stuff, (including the engine in your friends truck) for another $350!!! After getting side tracked on my Pro Four project, the car sat idle until 2004, when I sold everything I had to The Chavez boys (great bunch of guys) for $1250. The idiot Joe King (and I'm being too kind) did 90 percent of the damage you now see. The car had the stock core support and everything when I had it. Dipshit built the front end into a battering ram, and proceeded to hit anyone and anything that got near him. Sigh....now I'm getting all worked up again. Am a bit of an automotive artist, and race cars are just my canvas. I love taking shit, and turning it into something nice. It hurts like hell seeing the car like this, but it CAN be fixed, and you sound like just the right guy to give it love. I'll certainly help any way I can. I'm just about finished with a project I'm doing for Adam Nelson's "Thunder Dog" class at Meridian Speedway. I'll send some pics of this little slice of hilarity as soon as it's painted. I call it the Dodge "Ram Truckster". I started with a long wheelbase Dodge Sportsman 8 passenger van. I shortened it 18 inches, and removed the rear roof section and moved it forward to resemble a pickup. It's been lightened over 1000 pounds, and is powered by a fuel injected roller cam 360 Magnum engine. It is strategically armored for all the shoving and banging that goes on in this class. I don't know how fast it's gonna be, but it's sure funny as hell!

Later,

Alan Greene

man that was a nice car back then...

i just got back from meridian speedway... a guy launched his 72 duster off a wheel/tire that fell off another car. it was pretty ligit.

if i could have a wish for this car, it would be to never put it on a track with other cars or walls again... lol

Wow. That thing was nice. Bet you can get it straightened back out.

I could donate a set of SU's if you want them, one needs put back together and the other one needs torn down and cleaned. Got an intake also. :)

I would stipulate Farmers wish though :D

2eDeYe' date='25 July 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1280075056' post='329966']

Wow. That thing was nice. Bet you can get it straightened back out.

I could donate a set of SU's if you want them, one needs put back together and the other one needs torn down and cleaned. Got an intake also. :)

I would stipulate Farmers wish though :D

hell ya get those boxed up and I will give you the money to have them shipped my way :)

Take your time my man. Su's sound sooo sweet :D

I wish my car would have been so close to race ready when I bought it. It was just a ratty looking VERY SMELLY field decoration. I love it now though. I wish I had your two door though. That thing is gonna be SWEEEEET!!!! Just take a little time and make it nice, like I did.

1969DatsunRaceCar006.jpg