FrEaKy's 510

So i was informed that I don't have a build thread so here it goes :huh: :rolleyes:

When I was 16 I met Creepy Cruiser and he had this sick ass little car that had 2 15"subs for a back seat and the Miata seats with speaker in it At the time I was a big car stereo kid. I fell in love with the Datsun 510(Thanks Todd :rolleyes: ) ever since then I wanted a 510. So fast forward 10 years....... I then bought my first 510 a red 2dr(still looking for some pics of it) for $900 I had found it sitting in a field the P/O had just got done rebuilding the motor and was breaking in the engine when all the sudden it started to make a ticking noise. He got pissed off and drove it out in to his field and parked it.So one night on a drunken adventure my co-workers and I saw it so the next morning we went back and the guy was "sick of working on it" and i bought it. The next day I bought it and we dragged it back to the job site. At the time my Foreman was a add school Datsun guru he grew up driving 520,521 and 720's. So we put a battery in it and sure enough there was a tick.HHHHMMMM thats nothing big he said so we pulled the head off and found a nut from the air cleaner in the #4 cylinder,took it out and i drove it home that weekend.

So i drove the 2dr around for a while. Then 1 day a buddy shows up and tells me he found me another 510 :hug: a 4dr at that i really wanted a 4dr so we went and looked at it,It had a few mods done to it but not much.So i haggled with the Girl who owned it and she told me 300 I about shit my pants then she says for a extra 100 she will throw in all the extras I was like hell yea let me go to the bank,when i got back she had filled the trunk and the car with a bunch of N.O.S parts and some aftermarket stuff :thumbup: .Their was barely any room for me to drive it home :lol: When talking with the gal she had told me her sister bought it new and used to auto-cross race it,so i figured what the I will continue to race it. I was in heaven i had a bone stock 2dr and a modded 4dr. well time got the best of the 2dr and money was getting tight so I opted to sell the 2dr kind of wish i didn't but rust and wiring was fucked and it had left me stranded a few time's and 4dr starts every time well almost(If I drove it more than 8 min a year the battery would stay charged :lol: )

So the first mod was a built up L18 i bought from some kid man that motor was sweeet he had ground down a crank flat top pistons a87 head completely redone bigger valves blah blah blah i could fry the tire's clean it to 3rd. Well I ended up blowing the ring walls out of the #1 cylinder :crying: So i put a l16 with a dogleg back in and raced the shit out of it.

Fast forward 10 years.

we moved to Longview and i met a guy who is now my engine builder he had a 720 I bought for like 400 and well I took out a Honda with it on I-5 So i pulled the motor L20b and put it in my 4dr and here it is today sitting in the drive way waiting to be driven :hmm: For some reason when i get behind the wheel of it I cant follow the rules of the road so i choose not to drive it on a daily basis I don't want the tickets :blush:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after years of collecting parts my next endeavor is a l/z2.4 stroker motor I hope to start the build soon i have collected all the parts and pieces need to build it now i just have to find it all again. If you have seen my garage you would understand.

0904092210.jpg

0904092212.jpg

0830091806.jpg

So as of today this is what i have got

L20b

The hopped up head and cam

Going to dual 45mm dcoe's

sway bars

moog cast camber plates

off eccentric bushings

R2oo diff

zx brakes on all 4 corners

shortend zx shafts

zx 5speed with a kevlar clutch

So i was informed that I don't have a build thread so here it goes :huh: :rolleyes:

When I was 16 I met Creepy Cruiser and he had this sick ass little car that had 2 15"subs for a back seat and the Miata seats with speaker in it At the time I was a big car stereo kid. I fell in love with the Datsun 510(Thanks Todd :rolleyes: ) ever since then I wanted a 510.

I'm just glad I could help someone get inspired to get into old Datsuns biggrin.gif. (Man, I can't believe it's really been like 20 years hasn't it. wow)

(btw, for the record, they were Porsche seats, lol)

Just finished my DE swap in that same old car from back then, (and I still have that speaker box, lol). Now it's time to rip the whole thing apart and rebuild the rest or it.

P1120388Small.jpg

P1120359Small.jpg

Thanks dude!

No thank you for getting me in to Datsun's and your dime has always been a inspiration to me!!!Now with your motor swap it looks like i need to get my shit together and get mine going. And Iam about to tear mine down again and take care of a few trouble area lol while i have some machine work done lol

im going to be watching this closly a 2.4 l series sounds like a fun build :D

how many carb setups have you run ive seen your posts about su's and now i see a single weber and your plans are dual 45s lol

im going to be watching this closly a 2.4 l series sounds like a fun build :D

how many carb setups have you run Ive seen your posts about su's and now i see a single weber and your plans are dual 45s lol

yea lol i think i have ran just about all of them on the L18 I had dual 40's and i have tried the S/u's on my L20 never could find a good set of those and after reading a book that DISLEXICDIME set me I find the Dcoe's are pretty easy to tune.

And I hope to have the block in the shop here soon Just waiting work to Start the fire dept building can you say prevailing wage woot :o

this is want we a planning on doing

Taking a Z22 boreing it out to 89mm and stuffing a z24 crank in it I just need to figure or what arms to use the L20 or the Z20

I have all the pieces just need to get it all togethet again after the move its well kind of messy lol

shhh dont tell any one lol

garage020.jpg

garage019.jpg

garage018.jpg

garage017.jpg

and yes it is all Datsun

Whoa, you werent kidding about that garage!

Sure you can find a complete l20 in there for me?

Im ready whenever you are.

yea I know where thats at lol and it is pretty easy to get too. I am ready when ever you are just hit me up

• 1 year later...

So i have started on the 510 again. I am redoing the front end,and i have ran in to the 11mm vs. 14mm ball joint problem :angry: . Does anyone have a 14mm ream that i could use?? or know where i can find one ?? All the shops around me have nothing.

Yes it was lol. So I ended up purchasing a reamer,it will be here in the morning. If all goes well maybe I could do others.

Starting to have the feeling it going to be lower than I thought ....

Pics to come,now that I have a new camera.

wtf gives man...we live in the same town havent seen you in over a year?

Sorry man life has changed for me divorced and loving it!! moved to kelso not loving it lolz and just tring to get ready for race season.

hey did you know we have a Ex-Datsun racer working at Napa on 15th lots of help !!!