510 HP!!

Im curious. In your opiniuon how much power can you safely add to your 510 without reinforcement? I have about 180hp I figure but if I go turbo or vq that is 100 more hp and in my opinion too much w/no reinforcement. These cars were designed with a 96 hp motor.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? A 510 is structurally sound enough to handle 200+ hp, past that, a rollcage is probably a good idea. Either way, the more power, the more load affects the chassis.

I'm building a 510 with power levels that could be well over 300whp. My main concern is braking power, drivetrain durability, and traction. As long as the power you produce can be put to the ground, all mechanical components hold together, and the car can be stopped better than it accelerates skys the limit on what you can put together.

Edit:

With regards to the chassis I would most definitely put a cage in.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? A 510 is structurally sound enough to handle 200+ hp, past that, a rollcage is probably a good idea. Either way, the more power, the more load affects the chassis.

Thankyou HRH. I dont consider myself at all knowledgeable about cars,but I was thinking exactly the same thing any more than 200 hp cage it.

I'm building a 510 with power levels that could be well over 300whp. My main concern is braking power, drivetrain durability, and traction. As long as the power you produce can be put to the ground, all mechanical components hold together, and the car can be stopped better than it accelerates skys the limit on what you can put together.

If you dont cage it your gonna end up with a pretzel.

The vehicle! Sorry, thought it was a pretty obvious question.

Oh, okay. Yeah, the quarter windows are going to need some major gusseting for over 200hp, and you'll likely need to upgrade to synthetic blinker fluid for the speeds and acceleration you'll be reaching with that kind of power.

Seriously, though. There are plenty of over 200hp/ftlb 510s that have never needed any reinforcement to the unibody structure. You're more likely going to blow up the diff, half shafts, or break a rear control arm (mainly due to them being 40 years old and rusting or just by being stupid and running into something).

I am getting chassy flex in my car back where the rear pillar and the quarter pannel meet

That is precisely the reason I started this topic.I love my 510 and it is in very nice shape for its age. I dont want to cage it so I will keep the power where it is. But,if I get another one in not quite as good of shape,well haha we might just go a little frankenstein.

kmc63

180HP

what you got in there?

180 is impressive if a L motor. Almostt unbelievable if N/A

A vg-30 w/headers,k&n,and a larger fuel plenum. Im just guessing 180.

my yellow convert has a box beam from front map pockeket area to the B piller then up angle to the fender well. welded together.

I really need to take a photo of this soemtime.

My dad is a big Hawaiian guy and with no roof the car still shuts the doors perfect w both of us in there. No flex. Car was a 4dr.

hay take pic for me please! i am trying to figure out how i want to tackle this