The Smoking Tire loses credibility over "Ferrari"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do my eyes decieve me or is this a Datsun based replica? - HybridZ - Page 3

It all stems from this video:

tl;dr - Guy passes off a Datsun replica as a real Ferrari. The Smoking Tire continues to try to pass it off, even after a bunch of Datsun enthusiasts prove otherwise.

Definitely a Z car, definitely NOT anywhere near 300 hp. Exhaust note is NOT a V12, completely different sound. It's a nicely done conversion, don't get me wrong. The Smoking Tire could easily settle the dispute with a show of the engine compartment.

I love that in the video he was saying his car is worth 16 mil, thats the most id ever see a datsun go for :) I cant wait untill he gets called on it on another show, or by someone at a show with a z car. I think he deserves it.

Oh c'mon, give the guy a break. He probably knew the car wasn't a Ferrari, just wanted to see how dumb the host was of TST. If I had something like that, I'd totally do it too! And it's not like the conversion is ugly. Pretty damn well done in my opinion.

And if the guy really DID think it was a Ferarri, he got SCREWWWED!:)

Oh c'mon, give the guy a break. He probably knew the car wasn't a Ferrari, just wanted to see how dumb the host was of TST. If I had something like that, I'd totally do it too! And it's not like the conversion is ugly. Pretty damn well done in my opinion.

And if the guy really DID think it was a Ferarri, he got SCREWWWED!:)

Agreed

BUT - the host AND the owner are STILL claiming that it's a Ferrari. I believe the host said "I saw the Ferrari engine, we just didn't have time to get an engine shot" and they are STILL claiming it's a Ferrari. They have fabricated all sorts of stories about it being an actual 250GTO body on a 365 chassis with Datsun interior parts (yeah, because if I put one of 36 surviving 250GTO frames on a Ferrari chassis, the first care I would take interior parts off of would be a Datsun. psssh). They are also STILL claiming it's a Ferrari, in case you didn't get that.

Update - Matt Farah comes clean

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/tag/matt-farah/

After we ran our “Ford GT vs. Ferrari 250 GTO” video last week, there was immediate action in the comments section, as well as our TST Fan Forum, HybridZ.org, and FerrariChat.com, about the authenticity of the car. George, the owner, claimed that an original 1968 Ferrari 365 was wrecked in the early 1970’s, and that the drivetrain from that car was put into a replica of a 250 GTO. His story was long, detailed, and elaborate, and I believed him.

I met George about 20 minutes before I drove it. He gave me a very lengthy and detailed story about the car, the wrecked original drivetrain, etc. When he said the same story over on camera, I thought there was no way that this guy, who’s a public figure himself (former host of Junkyard Wars on Discovery Channel) would be stupid enough to make up this whole thing on camera, on a show that will be seen by a Football Stadium worth of people. The car was loud, and the car was fast, and the truth is that there’s a modified Datsun straight six under there.

Now, you’re probably saying that I said I saw the engine and that it was a V12, and that I’d either have to be a liar or an idiot who can’t tell the difference. Well I can tell the difference, but the truth is, I didn’t look under the hood at all. I asked, and George said there was a problem with the hood release, and I just dropped it after that. I went to bat for this guy in the forums and the comments section because I didn’t think he’d be stupid enough to publicly make it all up. Well, he did make it up, especially after so quickly offering to send engine photos, and I went to bat for him, and I lost.

I apologize for lying about seeing the engine, and I’ve learned a valuable lesson about not taking people for their word, especially when it comes to vintage Ferrari’s, and especially replicas of vintage Ferrari’s. My brilliant father once told me to never compromise my integrity, because at the end of the day, that’s all I have. Well, I’m here to say that I made a mistake, and I’ve been called out, and that I’m sorry.

If you guys don’t think I’m qualified to talk about cars anymore, I understand. But everyone makes mistakes, and it was my mistake to stand up for a near-stranger and lie for him because I wanted to believe he told me the truth. He didn’t, and I was wrong. I’m sorry.

-Matt

HAHA! Owned! At least he came clean, I won't hold it against him now. Not that I watch The Smoking Tire, or even knew of it's existence before this thread. :) I'm glad many of us were able to claim shenanigans for the sake of integrity!