1983 720 5-speed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture014.jpg

Switch with Blue cover and Yellow wires is the neutral switch, (it's an emissions thing) the white thing beside it is the breather, the round thing at the bottom with the 10mm bolt below it is the speedo pinion or drive.

Picture008-3.jpg

Made in February of whatever year it came out of. Sorry can't be more specific on this.

Picture011-1.jpg

This is the reverse checking sleeve.

Picture013.jpg

Black wire switch is for the reverse lights.

Thanks for the info Mike :D

Interesting fact...

The B trans is threaded for the starter.

The C trans is thru holed for the starter.

I'm gonna match drill the trans to a thru hole.

• 3 weeks later...

is there any diffrence from a '84 720 to a 85 or 86 720?

I have to assume you mean the transmission?

The Diesel uses a wider ratio gear set with a 3.592 first. This tranny only fits the diesel.

The Z20 and Z24 2wd and 4X4 use the same closer ratio gear set with a 3.321 first gear BUT!! four wheel drive transmissions do not have a speedometer drive in them so they are no good in a 2wd. Also the 720s used a long and a short length 5 speed so your length must match or have the right length drive shaft for it.

BECAUSE THERES THIS GUY SELLING A 5SPD TRANS OUT OF A 84 720 AND I NEED A TRNAS FOR MY 510

CHECK THE TRANSMISSION LENGTH ON THAT SHIT AND GET BACK TO US, IF ITS THE SHORTER ONE YOU CAN SWAP THE BELLHOUSING AND YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO, KTHX

There are long...

Picture004-1.jpg

and short FS5W71Bs...

P5250212-Copy.jpg

The stock F4W63 510 4 speed is also short and just over 26"

transshortF4W634spd.jpg

The short 720 2wd five speed needs an L series 5 speed front case/bell swapped onto it so it will fit the 510 motor properly. The length is very close to the same and should work. Use the 510 release bearing and collar. The rear mount may not be exact (but whatever is right? Have it modified to fit and you have a good strong 5 spd.

I have heard a rumor that there was a short L series 'racing' 5 spd made for the 510 but that's BS. This rumor could be based on some slight fact though. The '80 720 used an L series motor and if the short tranny was around back then who knows?....

Here is a picture of one that has the L series bell on it. I don't know if this was converted or is from the '80 L series 720. (if they ever existed)

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

2eDeYe' date='22 May 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1274572083' post='306317']

Interesting fact...

The B trans is threaded for the starter.

The C trans is thru holed for the starter.

I'm gonna match drill the trans to a thru hole.

I ended up drilling the starter as there was no flat area for the head of the bolt, the bosses were rounded on the trans.

2eDeYe' date='14 June 2010 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1276547754' post='314447']

Not sure on the 510, but for the 620 you need the fwd portion of the driveshaft with the carrier bearing to swap from a short to long transmission.

The short answer is that the 720 trans will not work in the 510.

1/ it is longer so your drive shaft will need shortening and the rear tranny mount modified.

2/ the 720 tranny is aligned for a Z series motor and will bolt to the 510 engine but will be tilted with the shifter leaning way over into the pass seat. The front case from an FS5W71B with the correct L series alignment can be swapped onto it or just get an L series FS5W71B.

If you can solve the above then it will fit.

The short answer is that the 720 trans will not work in the 510.

1/ it is longer so your drive shaft will need shortening and the rear tranny mount modified.

2/ the 720 tranny is aligned for a Z series motor and will bolt to the 510 engine but will be tilted with the shifter leaning way over into the pass seat. The front case from an FS5W71B with the correct L series alignment can be swapped onto it or just get an L series FS5W71B.

If you can solve the above then it will fit.

The 1980 720 used the L20B motor so it will bolt to the l16/L18 motors after 1980 the 720's went to the Z motors. The 5 speed in the 2 wheel drive 1980 720 is the long shaft trans like Mike said.

The short tail 5 speed pictured in Mike's post looks to be a 4x4 trans because the speedo drive boss is not machined.

This is a 1980 720 L20B 5 speed sitting in my 1966 520 hassis.

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

I have had 5 1980 720 2WD trucks with L20B 5 speeds and all have been the long tail shaft trans. This is not yo say that there could be some out there with the short tail shaft trans.

yeah the guy said that its about 31' in length mine dogleg is about 27' in length any suggestions?

I'm gonna guess... 4" shorter?

Best to measure and be sure or find a driveshaft from the same car with the longer transmission.

will a 78 -80 280z 5spd trans fit my car?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT LENGTH THAT DRIVESHAFT HAS TO BE?

In theory 5.2" but I would measure both and subtract. The difference is the amount removed. Consult a drive shaft shop as when measuring most people measure the slope distance instead of the actual length.

I was saying that you should measure the length of both transmissions front to back. To avoid measuring the slope distance measure back horizontally from the bellhousing to a vertical straight edge placed against the tail shaft spline. The 510 should be about 26". If you measure from the bell directly, and diagonally, to the tail stock you will get a longer length then the true length. If the transmission is out of the car, stand it up on end on a couple of pieces of 2x4s. Place a straight edge horizontally across the tailstock end where the drive shaft spline enters. Hook your tape measure onto the bell housing a stretch it vertically up to the straight edge and measure the length here. I've tested this on a door. Measuring down from the top I marked a 31.5" position on the jam. Assuming an 8" radius on a bell housing where a tape can be hooked, I measured along the top of the door 8" and then measured down to the 31.5" mark I had made. Measuring a slope just 8" off center line produces an error of at least 1 inch!!! I measured 32.5". The last thing you want is a drive shaft cut.welded and balanced to find it is too long by an inch!!!!