Ebay Find: L Series Supercharger!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No freakin way! I'd love it, but would have no idea how to get in in there and working. I am still figuring out a simple carb. I wonder if there would be clearence issues in a 521?

Anyone ever seen a working supercharged L motor before? Whadya think?

That is so sexy :love: Both of 'em.

I think I like the one Klotz posted better, though. Looks more compact. And with the draw-through arrangement even...

mmmm... dare to dream.

The draw through doesn't allow an IC like the an injected one could, but it is well done for sure. Looks like it's in a truck too. This solves the steering column clearance but would need a scoop?

Pretty cool... and yeah, both of them have pros and cons... the first one's FI, which is pretty cool, but it seems a bit too... thrown together almost. The parts look like they work together but don't quite fit. The one that Mike posted definately looks a lot better...

Er, wow... I just watched the video... I always preferred turbos over superchargers, but that was just plain cool...

S/Cs give instant, I mean instant throttle response. As fast as you can 'hit it' it comes on, no lag. Torque/horsepower across the entire RPM range. No BOV required as it only produces what it needs as it needs it, no leftovers. An inter cooler would work on this setup.

You don't need a blow-off valve? I thought you would, like in that video you posted... I know the supercharger runs off the engine rpm's, but if you're trying to drop the revs quickly couldn't there be some "residual" pressure left? You would need some sort of valve to control the amount of boost though, correct?

Then again, I'm an idiot when it comes to superchargers because I never really bothered to learn too much about them... I just figured most of the principles were the same as a turbo...

On the above set up the throttle plate is the boost control. At all times the SC is wanting to compress any air entering it. With the carb at idle, it is choked off for air and there is little, if any boost. As the carb opens the SC grabs what it can and pushes it into the motor. At full throttle it gets all it can and depending on it's capacity and on how much it is over driven and compresses the cylinder with air. As soon as the throttle closes, boost stops, unlike a turbo spinning at 180,000 RPM that keeps trying as it slows down over several seconds. Any small residual pressure would be gobbled up in a few RPM not seconds.

Interesting... IIRC the old cons for supercharger were the inefficiancy compared to the turbos, but I think that's not really an issue with the new superchargers... So it seems that superchargers are superior...

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but is there anything that a turbo does better than a supercharger?

The turbo uses virtually free wasted power in the exhaust. The SC uses power directly from the crank to compress the air. So if you make an extra, say 80 hp with an SC, your really making 100. There is a 20 hp loss to make the 80. This is just as an example and not hard numbers. It could very well be better. (or worse)

Guest DatsuNoob
Interesting... IIRC the old cons for supercharger were the inefficiancy compared to the turbos, but I think that's not really an issue with the new superchargers... So it seems that superchargers are superior...

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but is there anything that a turbo does better than a supercharger?

As mike said, superchargers give instant response where as a turbo will have some lag off the line. S/c's are typically intended for drag race applications, turbos, more of a road race/freeway setup. Boost can be increased with an underdrive pulley rather than boost controller. Depends on what kind of rig you wanna have though. A recirculatory turbo system instead of BOV is certainly an option for those concerned about "wasted" boost. I've rebuilt a couple oil cooked TDO4 turbos, and parts are cheap, and very simple as long as a guy can operate a set of snap-ring pliers and has a spare 20 minutes. In that sense, they're better. Dont know about fixing superchargers though, but it seems that they'd be a bit more "maintenance free" as well as less fragile than a turbo. I think SC's look cooler too, & less common, which I like :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.