vg kit

gents, i have just scored a 71 510 shell and am ready to do a vg swap.. ive been researching for weeks now , but still have a few questions that i hope you guys can chime in on..

1) is e/e (vg30.com) the ONLY guys that make a turnkey solution to all mounts and exhaust for the 510. ? ( i sent an e-mail a week back to them and have yet to hear from someone )

2) i am planning on going w/ the early z31 engine for the ease and will change the intake plenum to the pathy. (pros / cons )

3) i have a couple of trannys and diffy to drop in if able to fit.. will the T5 from a 83 zxt work on this vg engine ? perhaps just changing the bell housing ? or a z32 tranny (quite big) ? if so ..how is placement in

terms of shifter inside the car ? too far back ?? last .. will my r 200 from a zxt work ? too heavy ??

sorry to sound like such a noob, like i said , this is my first dime and although the swap seemed popular all the info on the net seems dated.

thanks in advance

frank

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gents, i have just scored a 71 510 shell and am ready to do a vg swap.. ive been researching for weeks now , but still have a few questions that i hope you guys can chime in on..

1) is e/e (vg30.com) the ONLY guys that make a turnkey solution to all mounts and exhaust for the 510. ? ( i sent an e-mail a week back to them and have yet to hear from someone )

2) i am planning on going w/ the early z31 engine for the ease and will change the intake plenum to the pathy. (pros / cons )

3) i have a couple of trannys and diffy to drop in if able to fit.. will the T5 from a 83 zxt work on this vg engine ? perhaps just changing the bell housing ? or a z32 tranny (quite big) ? if so ..how is placement in

terms of shifter inside the car ? too far back ?? last .. will my r 200 from a zxt work ? too heavy ??

sorry to sound like such a noob, like i said , this is my first dime and although the swap seemed popular all the info on the net seems dated.

thanks in advance

frank

Not a big fan of the FS5R90A (T-5) tranny. It is not the world class BorgWarner used in the 5.0 Mustang or the Camaro and can only adequately handle the 280zx turbo let alone the VG30ET. It's large and the drive shaft and clutch spline are unique to it and do not match anything Nissan. It's only advantage is that it is cheap to rebuild. A much better choice is the Nissan FS5W71C from a non turbo VG powered S31, VG 200sx, or D21 Hardbody. A better and stronger 5 speed and much more plentiful to find.

The R-200 is plenty strong if not too heavy for what you want. R-180 would also work for a VG30E. If you already have one then the choice is easy.

The T5 from the 280ZX won't work with the VG30. The T5 from the later 300ZX turbo will. Use the normal VG30 transmission from the early 300ZX, extremely strong, and very cheap. The T5 is a waste of money.

Dave Carrol of VG30.com is the only one who makes the "kit", but it nowhere near a turnkey solution. It just mounts and headers.

The R200 is overkill for a stock VG30, I've had an R180 in mine for YEARS and it's never had a problem. Plus you have to modify the rear mount for the R200 to fit. Heck, if you don't do too many clutch drops the R160 is fine.

Shifter will be about 10 inches further back, *but* you can rotate the stock VG30 transmission shifter 180 degrees so it'll be bent forward. Works fine. That's another reason to stick with the stock tranny.

thanks for all the info guys. ! so, if i have this right , ... the z31 early style will not require a mod to the oil pan, but any other vg's do . the v/g with the most hp is the 3.3 out of a pathfinder. ?.. any of the vg

engines will use the s200 exhaust manifolds that can be "massaged" to work with this swap in the 510 ? also any vg engine will work w/ the 5 speed out of the d21 pick up and will or will not sit further back

in the interior ?

thanks,

frank

Not that is matters much, but I believe the 1987 and later "W" series VG30E has full floating wrist pins. This probably helped squeeze out the extra 5hp Nissan found totaling up to 160hp in the "W" series VG.

I have 200sx manifolds for sale if anyone needs them. Ill be replacing my 200sx intake manifold soon so that will also be available.

If anyone wants to do isky cam regrinds ($175 plus shipping for the regrind!) I have a set of less than 10,000 mile cores available.

Carter Boad at VG30.com seems to be good via email (CarterB@Electroimpact.com).

The R200 is overkill and will require multiple modifications to fit. The R180 doesn't require any mods and is better suited for the 510. Unless you're looking to have a limited slip and then the R200 LSD is somewhat easier to find than the R180 LSD, but either will cost you upwards of ~$800 or more.

Do a search here for VG info, lots has been posted on it already and I hereby demand a sicky for the VG!!! Damn it!!!

The VG30.COM kit would be the fastest and easiest way to get the engine into your car, unless you are really good at fabbing stuff up. If you google search info on the VG swap you will find some old articles dealing with getting the engine in the car and hooking up the EFI.

As for the T5, stay away from it! Bigger, heavier and they suck! Everyone I know that used one quickly took them out and got rid of them! They make great cores for trading in for standard 5 speeds!

Good luck with your build! And keep us posted!!!

• 8 months later...

Team thump kit is great. Allows the use of factory liquid filled engine mouts from th vg. High quality parts built to last.

I agree. I am using the Team Thump mounts and they set the engine in a nice position that leaves enough room for heater hoses, etc.

Jeff (Icehouse) recently finished a really nice, easy to follow wiring diagram for the VG install.

Also, he is now making a nice relay panel for super easy wiring.

See both in this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/