would a l28e

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha damn shit is harrd or what?hmm whats like the major stuff that i got to do?

its one of thos things where, if you really have to ask, you dont already possess the skills to complete it.

510six has an L28et in his 510, so its possible yes.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21251-510-l28et-ongoing-project/page__p__298655__fromsearch__1entry298655

but easy? no.

You will have to cut the firewall and the rad support to fit it. Goodbye heater. The rad will have to be moved forward and the tranny moved to the rear along with the shifter and tunnel hole and a shortened drive shaft because it is 50% longer than the stock motor. Some suspension upgrades will be needed for the added weight.

Here's a 510 with an L28 in it. The rad support is cut which affects the rigidity of the front. It's an abortion and no one will buy it for a project car as it's too much work to return it to stock condition. Chance of completion about 8%. Less if you have never done this before.

3nb3mb3pd5Y65W45R2a560d4b2b57afa51595.jpg

An L28 is simply an exersize in 'it can be done' without first considering 'should it be done'. Yes it can be done. But all that work for 150 hp? There are lots of lighter smaller motors that will do that and are well documented so there is a much greater chance of completing the swap.

Install a VG30, now that, would impress me.

The 610 and 710 have a much deeper grill and radiator support area than the 510. With some creativity I think you can fit a small aluminum radiator further forward in the car and possibly have enough room to mount the L28 without moving the transmission rearward.

A thin electric fan would be your option for a fan. You would want to modify the factory water pump/fan for maximum clearance as well.

This will all a bit more front end weight though.

todddatsun2.jpg

That's my buddy Todd's car, it has an L28 turbo. The difference is it's a tube frame car. Doesn't need the stock sheet metal. Works just fine if you're planning on using it as a race vehicle. Otherwise, don't bother.