VG30E turbo build

First start up!

Wow. Amazing how fast you got this going. That is going to be a beast. Can you say 12 second dime? I thought you could! :cool: :cool: NICE WORK!

Did you ever sell the NOS setup?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Here are few a pics from our spring opener meet in MN:

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

(the hood was closed but not latched)

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

The nitrous is staying. The project was officially started on the 12th and completed by the 30th. I hope to have it tuned in the next week or so. The 510 last year was making 1/8th mile times on nitrous that would translate to a high 12 in the quarter so hopefully it will be much faster this year when I get out to the track. Auto X will also be more fun with the added power (a road course would be so much fun with the added power...now only if I can get more time off of work!). Overall im extremely happy with the build. The cams may be a bit to aggressive, but Im willing to sacrifice a bit of low end for the extreme idle (the car turns heads when it starts up) and having more power up top will be much appreciated.

Next project will be to clean up the engine bay a little more and redo the front suspension and front brakes (the rears are good to go). Some day ill coin up for some nicer wheels and sticky rubber (hopefully sooner than later).

-Colton

Its really incredible work. It may look like alot of space to work with, but it was quite the opposite. To install the driver side manifold three studs need to be removed just to get the manifold mated to the head!

The manifold/downpipe/chargepipe fab work was done by Andy (owner/fabricator) of Elite Autosport.

http://www.elite-autosport.com/

He's incredibly talented and an extremely nice guy. I initially wanted a log manifold design due to space/cost, but when I showed up at the shop to work on the alcohol/water injection he already started on an all out stainless tubular manifold design. I was pumped! Talk about meeting and exceeding expectations.

charge pipe

4655236828_834cf15c9f_b.jpg

-Colton

I like it....300rwh and over 300fpt in a 510 is very entertaining, the chemical intercooler gets a thumbs up as well for innovation in a tight 510 engine comparment. It's quite the sleeper, you will have to let us know how you do at the drag strip. Just remember that nitrous + turbo is kind of like 2+2 = 5 ,the intercooling affect of the nitrous on a turbo motor can end up as some pretty crazy HP gains. Can you get E85 in your area?

Thanks 510six! Ill report back when I get out to the track. I can get E85, but I dont want to be restricted by its availability. Im excited to get the turbo, water/alcohol injection, and nitrous tuned and working with each other. I dont see any issues with having well over 400whp with a small hit of nitrous and alcohol/water injection. Overall Im just really excited to have more power off the bottle (last year was fun, but nitrous fill are expensive, and I got sick and tired of waiting 15-20 minutes to bring the bottle pressure up...other than that I love nitrous, thats why Im keeping it).

-Colton

i see you went down by the cross member that was what i was missing i thought you were going in front as in between water pump and radiator im totally digging this man bad fuckin ass

I decided to tune with the water injection on Tuesday. Ive wired up everything and tapped everything except the charge pipe...My garage is a mess so I decided to clean up and only work on one small project tonight...

I needed to setup an activation light so I know when my water injection pump starts spraying (this also lets me reference at what psi it starts spraying so I can tune the pump to come on earlier or later).

I thought about throwing one in the dash. I played around with existing holes (the horn button, nitrous heater switch), but nothing caught my eye. I even debated drilling a new hole, but again nothing was making me pumped and I really did not want another hole in my dash (its got great balance right now)...Then the gangster location hit me.

Pics:

4668383672_e4a091d246.jpg

4667758737_d78f6983ed.jpg

The light is an Axman special (a grand total of 25 cents) and the pod is made out of 1/2 inch rubber fuel line split on the underside that I had laying around. All electrical is hidden and it fills a gap that was made when the original gauge cluster was replaced with the aluminum piece.

It looks pretty sweet lit up!

Shake down is done. I thought I had larger injectors installed...I was wrong. I made 220whp and 225wtq with 7-7.5 psi @ 4900-5000rpm before running out of fuel. Im installing larger injectors and going for a full pull next Tuesday. I think @ 7-7.5 psi I should be able to put down 235-240whp with 225-235wtq. We might throw a boost controller on it to see what we can get with a little more boost.

Shake down is done. I thought I had larger injectors installed...I was wrong. I made 220whp and 225wtq with 7-7.5 psi @ 4900-5000rpm before running out of fuel. Im installing larger injectors and going for a full pull next Tuesday. I think @ 7-7.5 psi I should be able to put down 235-240whp with 225-235wtq. We might throw a boost controller on it to see what we can get with a little more boost.

you just dyno it, or were you able to tune it a bit on the dyno? What do your a/f's look like and where is your timing at?

No we tuned it a little so I could get on it a bit :) We worked on driveability and what not. The timing is extremely conservative. The a/f ratios bounced between 11.0-12.2. Anything over 4500rpm the a/f ratio started to go up fast. We had to get out of the gas around 4900-5000 rpm since the a/f ratio was climbing into the high 13's. Oh well! We are starting over next week with 450cc injectors and more boost!

The great thing about water injection is that you don't have to back off timing as much, since the water helps suppress detonation. Increase in timing could add some good results to your power figures. Of course be safe and use a knock sensor as well when tuning. You should yeild some great numbers with that engine. This temps me to ditch my ka-t and go with a vg30et.