Beck/Arnley Engine components..

Hey, quick question: I've purchased Beck/Arnley brand parts before, and I was very pleased with the quality. I'm pricing parts for an engine I'm about to build, and I was just wondering if any of you had heard or come in contact with their Engine rebuilding products(Timing Chains, Head gaskets, Main/Rod Bearings, Pistons rings, etc..), and if so, how do you feel about them?

Anyone have anything to say?

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rebuilt my 1600 type R engine about 15 years ago. I got almost all the parts I needed from my Nissan dealer, they still had parts and the service folks knew what they were doing. Since this was the "great" changeover to unleaded gas period, I opted to order Australian made stainless steel exhaust valves from Beck Arnley, they were things of beauty and have made unleaded gas work quite well as long as I used premium.

I have had great success in talking to their techs. I needed [no surprise] a water pump which is unobtainium. I modified a roadster pump and asked Beck Arnley if the manufacturer still had the production machinery to turn out the RL411 version. I gave them a copy of all the markings on the original housing and pump shaft. They went back to the manufacturer but he had deep sixed the tooling. Good service!

I used to work at the local Japanese parts house, Rising Sun Import Parts, and they mostly carried Beck Arnley parts. We had the problem with the bearings once in a while and it was mostly attributed to poor handlign during shipping from one place to another. Most of their parts where actual O.E.M. stuff while I was there, in the early 90's, that came wrapped in Nissan,Toyota, etc. plastic bags or paper!

Aother brand at the time was Lazorlite and their stuff was not that bad either.

I still buy parts from them and prefer Beck/Arnley parts if available.

NAPA used to carry Beck/Arnley, they were phased out in a battle with Fel Pro gaskets, mainly for name brand. BA has a much wider range of gasketry available. Fortunately Altrom has basically taken over some of the BA market. They're doing the same thing, buying remainded inventory from manufacturers. Some is OE quality, some can be rather cheap. On the whole BA is good, and if you can't find BA, visit your local NAPA and see what they have in the Altrom line.

The last pilot bushing I got from Altrom was in a Nissan bag with their part number stickered over it. They're pretty cheap too.

I'm a little concerned. They look like they may be made of inferior materials. There's usually that light, powdery coating over a layer of grey metal and then copper. These have neither the coating or the copper. Just looks like tin all the way through.. I'm sending em back. I may have considered using em, but couple of em are gouged, anyway. <_<

I'm a little concerned. They look like they may be made of inferior materials. There's usually that light, powdery coating over a layer of grey metal and then copper. These have neither the coating or the copper. Just looks like tin all the way through.. I'm sending em back. I may have considered using em, but couple of em are gouged, anyway. <_<

Gough aside, sounds like good old fashoned Babbit metal.