american racing wheels . libre

I have a question ? are the 14inc american libre wheels safe to use? I have been talking to some guys that dont like to use them because they can brake and are unsafe . anyone care to give feed back on useing them . The set I have are the big center hole cap ,and the spokes are the hollow ones the lug holes are clean ,,,dont know any information please help thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been talking to some guys that dont like to use them because they can brake and are unsafe.

everyones got a story, but how many are firsthand???

ive heard of them failing... in an accident.

one of my 13X7 knockoffs has been curbed hard, but is not cracked/bent/etc, still balances, i drive around the cyns w/my son on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be more worried about newer wheels than older wheels.

Like most older things they are built with quality not many companies back then were out-sourcing to other countries where the quality of metal is unknown and the casting/forging processes may be flawed.

The original ARE wheels will likely be of better quality, in part because of their known origin and because of the web reinforcement in the spoke. I have been running them on my street car for 10 years with no issues. I have heard people at the track say "they'd never use them because of failure" that said, there are a few 510's with VARA that run them with no issues (ARE).

An engineer friend once told me "anything structural made of aluminum will fail eventually".

I doubt there is much flex in an old school aluminum wheel. They certainly will outlast a modern lightweight wheel, but every corner you go around is one corner closer to the end.

I'd consider finding a set with 20 year old dry rotted tires like finding gold. You know their much further from their failure point. A set that's got modern tires could have been in service the whole time and could be reaching the end.

I saw one that had broken at the end of each spoke. The rim/tire had completely detached from the center. It was in a JY though, so it could have hit a culvert or something. The car wasn't totaled though, the control arm not noticeably bent.