Uncle Buck's Parts Liquidation Shipping Policy

I have gotten some detail photos of all the doors, the hatch, and a couple of trunklids, so I am in the process of organizing and uploading those so we can start taking offers. All of that will be conducted in a proper thread, but I wanted to make some clear statements regarding the shipment of these items.

The Backstory:

My dear old Uncle Buck (Dennis William Carey) passed away last August, and he left us a legacy of Datsun parts galore. "We" consists of myself (Shawn) and my four brothers, and our father (Buck's younger brother.) We are a whole clan of Datsun enthusiasts, oriented almost exclusively on Z-cars and Roadsters. (My uncle actually owned the #33/44 Monise/McComb BRE Roadster for a few years.)

Buck had his own two-bay warehouse full of parts from cars stripped (and outboard motors and other junque) but he had also acquired another bay full of a mixed bag of shit, alot of Datsun gear, a good cache of Corvair parts, and alot of godawful junk and garbage. Most of the Datsun gear is 510 stuff, some 210 and pickup truck stuff, and several L4 engines. No headcount, but by several I mean approaching a dozen, depending on how strict you draw the line from bare block to fully dressed. Also some VG30 stuff, alot of glass, and a pile of transmissions. Grilles, alot of crap.

Long story short: We have this warehouse full of crap to deal with:

Resizeofwarehousewide1.jpg

The reason we are going the "take offers on my junk" route is to deal with the large, bulky items that are not easily ebay-able at decent profit margin. A good deal of this stuff (the more easily packaged and shipped type, switch/harness/door panel/dashboard range) is going to be ebayed or sold with some heed to price on our part, but ALOT is simply junk that we cannot in good conscience throw away. The rent on this warehouse has been paid for over two years now just "so we can clean that out and sell it all." Profit isn't the goal, getting someone these parts to use on their Datsun is. That said, the rent money would be nice to get back.

Resizeofwarehousebackrighttight.jpg

So how is this about shipping?? Answer: most of what my brother Chris puts on eBay, he sells "Buyer pays shipping costs." This means he does the legwork to package and deliver the piece (wheel/glovebox/turbo) including getting it to UPS, and it magically appears at your place, at an additional fee. This fee reflects actual shipping cost and no more; cardboard and scraps are available so usually it nothing more than UPS charges but we won't take too much of a bath buying shipping supplies before passing the cost along to the buyer. My brother is real good with shipping stuff, and I can't emphasize that enough.

Now, this is the meat of my post.

The large body panels, doors, hoods, trunks, and also the complete engines, and the other large stuff is being sold "Buyer is responsible for shipping."

This means that we will do plenty of legwork on the ground here to package and prepare your item accordingly for pickup/freight, but you are responsible for arranging actual shipping method, pickup, charges, and responsibility. In my brother's words, "The onus for shipping will be on the buyer. We can do alot for them, but the ball is theirs to handle how they will."

This means that sure, we will palletize and wrap the (set of doors, Z22 engine, sixteen grilles and an automatic trans) you bought from us at reasonable junkyard price, and be there at X:30 to meet the guy, but YOU figure out how far we need to go in packaging it, who that pickup guy is, and sign the check for it all.

Much of this hoard is going to be shed on "best offer" basis, or as bargain lots:

Resizeof510box.jpg

Box O' Crap #37b, we can probably just go UPS, you'll give us $X plus $11.50 and get the box in five to seven business days. It is mainly the bulk stuff that we wish to limit our own involvement in. The effort of liquidating this stuff is significant enough, and the dollar return is not going to be that significant because we are supremely motivated to sell.

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Never good to lose a good guy that shares our love for Datsun's/other hobby's.

I'm very curious about the Corvair parts. If you can let me know what you have or give pics of it if you can it would be appreciated. If I can't use it I know a forum full of guys that probably can!

• 2 months later...