Begging for a Datsun 510

I bought a 510 for $400 and drove it to seattle the same day from portland. The heater even worked! When I came home 4 days later the alt went out. So i swapped in an L20. haha. Poor L16. I have no idea where it went, But I bet it was in good shape still.

Damn, you scored big time with that one. :thumbup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good thing your asking about smog because too many ppl. assume and they end selling the car or spending tons of money to get it smog legal...this happens a lot too. I also belong to a 1st gen. Celica forum 1971-1977 and like always they assume too...technically you can swap any engine in there but if the cops pull you over because of loud exhaust and tells you to opo the hood and sees all of this stuff, he may right you up..so why take a gamble.

I have a question if you do an engine swap...

it will still be registered as a 69-72 please correct me if im wrong

it will still be registered as the same vehicle.

when they find out that a non stock motor is in there, youll need to meet the smog requirement for that motor.

def read the DMW wording though!

they may not find out till the cops pop the hood a few years later... :o

Thank you now i know, I don't mind sticking with the stock engine even though i know a place that will smog pass my car every time for $100 if i do decide to do a swap and get pulled over

Spend the money for a decent 510. I sold my last driver, which needed a fair amount of work, for $1400. Let's just hypothetically say you can find a driver for $500, I'd bet that not long after it's going to need a lot of repairs, brake work, carb, radiator, and so forth..........so by the time you start making the repairs, the $500 car is needing another $1000 worth of stuff. So it's just easier to get one for the initial price of $1500. Heck, even at $1500 it's probably going to need a good amount of money dumped into it. I've seen a LOT of crappy 510s going for $3500 lately.

Spend the money for a decent 510. I sold my last driver, which needed a fair amount of work, for $1400. Let's just hypothetically say you can find a driver for $500, I'd bet that not long after it's going to need a lot of repairs, brake work, carb, radiator, and so forth..........so by the time you start making the repairs, the $500 car is needing another $1000 worth of stuff. So it's just easier to get one for the initial price of $1500. Heck, even at $1500 it's probably going to need a good amount of money dumped into it. I've seen a LOT of crappy 510s going for $3500 lately.

^^^^ What he said. I just picked one up for less than $1K, and it needs at least that much again to even be roadworthy or legal. That's if I don't repair all the rust and bodywork. Just the rubber gaskets (windshield, back glass, door felts), can run $500 easy.

Buy the best one you can afford. $500 will get you a parts car, is that really where you want to start?

Nope.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13775-i-just-got-bar-reffed-in-my-car/page__p__184352__fromsearch__1entry184352

Need all factory emmisions in place, and needs to be inspected and pass BAR ref and get an approved sticker.

Otherwise bend over and take a 600 dollar ticket

or swap a complete L series back in if you get reffed.

Thank you now i know, I don't mind sticking with the stock engine even though i know a place that will smog pass my car every time for $100 if i do decide to do a swap and get pulled over

Doesnt work that way.. Have to go to certified Bureau of Automotive Repair facility. Cant slip anything by them.

or put the egr and stock ka stuff back on? :o

if it is an s13 ka, cant fit PAIR valve off stock manifold... have to switch to rack and pinon steering. It comes out right in the way. have to run stock air intake elbow, that goes right into the core support.

s14 ka. They assume all are obd2 even if not. need consult plug, evap system in tank, 2 o2's etc.

cali= GAY

if it is an s13 ka, cant fit PAIR valve off stock manifold... have to switch to rack and pinon steering. It comes out right in the way. have to run stock air intake elbow, that goes right into the core support.

s14 ka. They assume all are obd2 even if not. need consult plug, evap system in tank, 2 o2's etc.

cali= GAY

True, but we won't let them marry :lol:

i think have a 20 percent chance of getting pulled over here in the inland empire i used to live in LA and I've been driving since i was 19 i am now 25 and I've never been pulled over(knock on wood), law enforcement here have better things to do than make technical vehicle violation stops there are a lot of paisas(Mexican cowboys) here so the cops assume that most vehicle here are jacked up in different ways hopefully i stand a better chance of owning a 510 here than other parts of California.

p.s. just sharing

i think have a 20 percent chance of getting pulled over here in the inland empire i used to live in LA and I've been driving since i was 19 i am now 25 and I've never been pulled over(knock on wood), law enforcement here have better things to do than make technical vehicle violation stops there are a lot of paisas(Mexican cowboys) here so the cops assume that most vehicle here are jacked up in different ways hopefully i stand a better chance of owning a 510 here than other parts of California.

p.s. just sharing

I dunno...I don't live in LA so I'm not there very often, but even I have seen the police running mobile smog testing stations...

I dunno...I don't live in LA so I'm not there very often, but even I have seen the police running mobile smog testing stations...

I meant here in the Inland empire cops are not that strict when it comes to vehicle equipment a lot of sleepers here.

• 2 months later...

CA + owning cars = epic fail

Iv never done smog in my life :fu:

i agree to that! the girlfriend want to live in cali but there is no way i'm going though all that bullshit! i have a b210 i got for 15 and that was a low mileage estate sale find. its since had all the california emission crap removed and the stock muffler got so full of punch holes and rust it was hack sawed off at the cat. i now i have a pepsi can coat hangered on for show and never get stopped where i live

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.