Battery oops

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know...worth a try I guess. Also...

"Another possibility, Keenan reports, is the use of antifreeze (ethylene glycol), which when added to a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acid would create an explosive liquid compound called ethylene glycol dinitrate. Similarly, an ingredient in toothpaste, propylene glycol, becomes deadly when added to a mixture of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acids creating the liquid explosive called metriol trinitrate, which is similar to nitroglycerine. "

:lol:

Thought you were kidding about Rat-thylene glycol dinitrate (RAT- EGDN) (I changed a few letters because the RATCIA monitors certain words used on the internet) Otherwise they would send in the troops for brewing home made 'shit'. Eventually we won't be able to cross the ------ into the ------ to go to Canby because we have a battery in the car.:lol:

Lou you out there?

I don't know...worth a try I guess. Also...

"Another possibility, Keenan reports, is the use of antifreeze (ethylene glycol), which when added to a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acid would create an explosive liquid compound called ethylene glycol dinitrate. Similarly, an ingredient in toothpaste, propylene glycol, becomes deadly when added to a mixture of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acids creating the liquid explosive called metriol trinitrate, which is similar to nitroglycerine. "

Yeah lol!

Had a conversation with one of my battery suppliers. He said its a big no no to add water to a battery. Acid is inexpensive.

Yeah lol!

Had a conversation with one of my battery suppliers. He said its a big no no to add water to a battery. Acid is inexpensive.

I use to work with the guys that restored the Lead acid batteries out in the minuteman missle sites in montana and they use to drain them rinse them out and fill them - and charge them. they did charge them, and drain the voltage and then charge them again. They worked good as new - So i think you might be able to do it. Good Luck Steve

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Thought you were kidding about Rat-thylene glycol dinitrate (RAT- EGDN) (I changed a few letters because the RATCIA monitors certain words used on the internet) Otherwise they would send in the troops for brewing home made 'shit'. Eventually we won't be able to cross the ------ into the ------ to go to Canby because we have a battery in the car.:lol:

Lou you out there?

Yup here I am

Batteries today need almost no maintainance, buy them, install and forget. Back in the '60s I used to use the distilled water from the dehumidifier for topping up the car batteries. It was common to check it every couple of weeks. I think the 'maintenance free' batteries came out in early '70s. Before early '60 cars used generators that would over charge batteries on long trips so drivers would run with headlights on to 'soak it up'. If you saw a car with headlights on during the day you knew he was on a holiday trip.

I use to work with the guys that restored the Lead acid batteries out in the minuteman missle sites in montana and they use to drain them rinse them out and fill them - and charge them. they did charge them, and drain the voltage and then charge them again. They worked good as new - So i think you might be able to do it. Good Luck Steve

Of course those batteries were bigger than a Bluebird! Think a battery bigger that the average office desk. Seriously, they were the original Lead-Calcium batteries, the precursors of today's Maintenence Free batteries. [see how innovations originating in the Military world eventually migrate to the civilian world?] The above drain, refill and cycle the charge proceedure should work! Just be sure to drain and flush with demineralized or distilled water.

Of course those batteries were bigger than a Bluebird! Think a battery bigger that the average office desk. Seriously, they were the original Lead-Calcium batteries, the precursors of today's Maintenence Free batteries. [see how innovations originating in the Military world eventually migrate to the civilian world?] The above drain, refill and cycle the charge proceedure should work! Just be sure to drain and flush with demineralized or distilled water

Well almost as big, no they were only about 18X36x30 and weight 1500 lbs I think - can't remember how many was on site. But yes distilled water always, Maintenance teams always took out distilled water to fill the batteries and radiator on the diesel generator. Steve

don't let them fool you about adding water to maintenance free batteries. i maintained batteries for a living for 31 years. they just want you to buy a new one in 3 years. if you keep up the water level, it will go a lot longer. a local battery store said flush it with epsom salts solution and replace the acid. i will try it tomorrow.

flushed with epsom salts twice, then added some acid from another battery. (the local shop said they would give me acid then didn't have any) charged with my new constant current charger. turns over my truck like crazy now. thanks

about Rat-thylene glycol dinitrate (RAT- EGDN) (I changed a few letters because the RATCIA monitors certain words used on the internet) Otherwise they would send in the troops for brewing home made 'shit'. Eventually we won't be able to cross the ------ into the ------ to go to Canby because we have a battery in the car.:lol:

Lou you out there?

Fire in the hole ................ Alright let's move out. :lol: