My Intro - New to the Forum.

Just thought I'd introduce myself on here. I'm pretty excited to have aquired a 71' 4 door 510. My dad bought it in the mid 70's sometime. I grew up with this car as a kid and my brother and I have many fond memories of our parents driving us around in the back seat. It has a history that you can't put a pricetag on. Our family packed up and moved from state to state and the Datsun just kinda sat idle (but still followed us) in need of things like hoses, seals, and a timing belt. Unfortunately it was about 20 years ago that the car was towed back to my grandparents place and has been sitting in a field for the past 20 years and forgotten,...until a few months ago, I saw a wonderful editorial on speedhunters about a Datsun build, beatifully restored and tastefully modified. I was jealous. After a phone call to my dad about "what ever happened to our old 510?", he agreed to let me have it without hesitation.

Upon a recent trip I took the family up to my grandparents place and seeing the car just sitting there alone in the field, it was a sight for sore eyes. After visiting family, I had some time to go out and run a cable to have it towed out of there. My wife nicknamed it the 'flowerpot' :not exactly to my liking but definitely motivation. It had a lawnmower in the passenger seat, bricks and boxes in the back seat, as well as the carb intake and grill. It was a pretty emotional time going through all the contents of the car. It even still has the back seat child harness that connects to the lap belt that my brother and I used as a kid.

I'm still finding more about Datsun 510's everyday and I'm basically in sponge mode. Here's what I know about the car so far, 1971, 510 4 door, white vinyl top, Engine reads '1600 OHC'. Tail lights are simply red with white back up section and chrome molding and what really struck me, is that the car is square badged with the checkerboard SSS above the rear window vents. I can't find much info on the specs or model of the car and I'm looking to forums to see if I can get some answers.

After popping the hood he's what I find: rusty & dusty engine : had to remove a nest of mud dobber bees from the carb because the carb was left without the intake and filter. Needs belts, hoses, flushes, seals, battery, seats, tires, and last but not least...the keys.

Does anyone know how I can get a new set of keys to lock and unlock and turn it on after fixing up the engine a bit??

Any help on my project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome, keys are easy cake. take the passenger door panel apart and there should be a code on the cylinder. just take the ignition lock off of the steering column for now if you need to start up the car.

if the keys are matched, which they probably are, it will be easier than buying new, as if you buy themnew, they will not have the same key for the ignition and doors and trunk.

Edited by inline4

olddatsuns.com

maybe drain the gas tank first. there is a drain plug on there somewhere.

clean connections. soo if the ignition lights come on. make sure theres oil.

who nows about that carb you got. but these are simple cars to get running. If you cant get a 510 running I feel sorry for your girlfriend and or wife not having a real man(this is a incentive to get you going! Ha ha)

take the ignition lock off of the steering column for now if you need to start up the car.(use a slot screw driver)

@ inline4 / metal monkey47 / Banzai510

Thanks for the info on the keys. I'll be sure and get that done. I was hoping to avoid dropping a few bills on a new stuff. I'll be sure to look into some good locksmiths in my area that know what they're doing.

@ banzai510

Yes, I am a real man, motivated as well but thanks for the extra motivation. I lit the match and started the fire under my own *** for this car. The only thing holding me down is money(or I should say 'lack of'). My wife is very understanding and supportive as long as we have food on the table and the bills get paid. To sum things up, car, CHECK, motivation, CHECK, patience, CHECK (if that makes any sense).

@ everyone

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. Looking forward to learning more about my old family car as time goes on. I'm not as computer saavy to upload pics but bear with me.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3851190

@ Sick620

Thanks. This is a forever keeper with the history it already has. I'm so glad my parents didn't ever sell it. I do plan on passing this down to my kids.

I plan on giving it the love and respect it deserves.

LOVE & TIME

@ inline4 / metal monkey47 / Banzai510

Thanks for the info on the keys. I'll be sure and get that done. I was hoping to avoid dropping a few bills on a new stuff. I'll be sure to look into some good locksmiths in my area that know what they're doing.

do you have a welder by any chance?

Hey welcome aboard Frank,

I still haven't heard from your Dad but am too busy this week to run up there anyway. I will give you a call later in the week and try to get this thing rolling. Later,

Mike

aka exit64