my 620

darrel

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does run. it had a fuel leak but that was a fuel hose. The smog pump is gone and the egr and tube plugged.

It does have a few rust spots on a respray, but still a very solid truck.

It was on craigslist for $400, but I told the guy I would give him $600 if he could hold it till I checked it out. He had a lot of calls and mine swayed him. ;-)

There was another one in Tucson that would have been better, but I couldn't get out there soon enough.

Nice score! Are you going to keep those wheels? They look a little strange on a 620. JMHO.

They are 6 lug nissan mag wheels. btw, anyone have a center cap? I'm missing one.

And yeah, When I first saw them I was thinking they were a little ugly, but they are still n issan mags.

and the rust.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/dlh2460/620%20kc%20pu/2010-03-31093852.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/dlh2460/620%20kc%20pu/2010-03-31093952.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/dlh2460/620%20kc%20pu/2010-03-31094021.jpg

Thanks P, I haven't begun to search for any parts. That will change soon. A couple of salvage yards had about a 1/2 doz 620's between them here, but now they're all gone. I'm sure something will show up soon.

I was told the wheels may have come from an '89 hard body 2wd. I'm sure the wheels will grow on you, they do look a little different.

I had a key cut by code and there didn't seem to be any damage from using a leatherman screw driver to pick it to start. The key only comes out when it's in the "OFF" position as it should.

I did take it for a spin around the block, I'll have to get used to the sound of all the creaks and rattles old trucks have. There might be an exhaust leak as well. I still need to get it on a lift to check it out further and change all the fluids.

Ya shoulda said something.

I was concentrating on craigslist and forgot all about this site. Besides I couldn't ask someone to wait for at least 2 weeks before I could make it out there.

I'm kinda glad the first one didn't work out. I think the truck I got is a great starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the truck up on a lift today adjusted the valves and it passed emissions :-D

Carrier bearing is toast, needs RR axle seal, once the front pads wear down it will need new rotors, fix wiring rats nest at the rear and rf parking light, egr is gone as is the air pump, missing some linkages on the carb, it's a wonder it even passed the sniffer test. There is a broken valve cover bolt that has been "worked on". If I don't replace the head, i will at least take the old one off and have the bolt hole fixed. Gas tank isn't original, i don't even know if it came out of a pickup. I will have to take pics of that once I find a tank and replace it. Only pics can describe how it's mounted.

The good news, I know of someone that has a parts truck. Hopefully it will have the tank, a/c bracket and the parts to do a manual transmission swap.

Even with the problems found today the truck is still a good deal at $600.

Future upgrades,,, possibly will go with a weber carb, new intake and exhaust. I'm not sure if i will go with a 2.4 or just stick with the 2.0.

Darrel

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the yard today to pick up "stuff" I saw yesterday.

Gas tank for the kingcab, one in must be from a short bed. It has a puncture from draining and a couple of dents from the loader they used to move the truck around, but very fixable. Manual tranny driveshaft for when I change to manual transmission. 2 spoke steering wheel from '79 longbed. shift lever, floor plate for manual tranny.

And for my 240z, a set of miata seats in very good shape.

All this for $100.

Manual and auto use the same drive shaft. The carrier bearing seldom fails, never seen one or heard of one that was for sure the bearing, what does fail is the rubber 'donut' surrounding and supporting the driveshaft. If you got another drive shaft hopefully it has a good rubber in it.

Cleaned the outside of the tank. Got a look inside and it is really clean. Now I need to weld a bung where the yard drilled a hole and pull out the dents the loader put in the tank.

Thanks to kenz240z on classiczcars I was able to pull the majority of the dents out of the tank. Harbor Freight stud guns rule.

I am pleased with the results.

PICT0740.jpg

PICT0741.jpg

PICT0743.jpg

PICT0742.jpg

PICT0739.jpg

PICT0744.jpg

PICT0745.jpg