Finally got my self a 620!

Gensaiken

Picked up some Grade 8 bolts and nuts for the bench seat. Trying to figure out how to repair the glove box hinge.. I assume it was a plastic hinge and it slowly comes apart?

So far things are going together very nicely. I have one lone light that I can't seem to figure out what it goes to... was there a bulb stuck in to the stock radio to light it? Its on when the dash lights are on...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some progress is being made. Interior should be going back together this weekend. I got the bench seat back and it looks great. So now that I have the seat back I'll be going ahead with painting the rest of the panels black to match the new seat.

I've painted the grill farmer gave me black to match the old grill. It was that paint for plastic and it said it would be flat black but its pretty glossy for a flat black. It still looks really clean and once the cleaned up badge was on it, it really looked good. Tomorrow it will get installed back on the truck.

Should be a busy day tomorrow getting everything back in to place and cleaned up. I should have plenty more pics of everything tomorrow as it comes together. :cool:

Some more progress today. Got some pictures together. Today I was hoping that I'd get the seat in and everything finished up but I didn't get enough time.

0507001813.jpg

A pic of the finished seat. I think it came out very nice and its pretty comfortable.

0507001939.jpg

the cleaned up grill with the badge installed. Took some time to put it back on the truck and it looks really nice. I'll have to take some full shots of the truck once I can pull it out of where it sits at the moment.

0508001744.jpg

Took some time to finish up the under seat carpet. Came out pretty good. :cool:

0508001827.jpg

While this may look like nothing special to most of you.. my truck was missing every single one of these. Picked these up off a friend's parts truck today. Little washing and they look like new. Beats the duct-tape that was put over the holes when I got the truck. :lol:

0508001920.jpg

Taking off the passenger door panel first, I'm not sure why it didn't strike me as odd that it was held together with about a bajillion screws. It wasn't till I got to the drivers side did I notice no screws and the standard plastic clips intact. I only broke two but the passenger door has every single one broken off. I may see if my friend's parts truck as a decent clean door panel with clips intact. Is it possible to find replacement clips?

Anyways, Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have the bench back in the truck. I have the floor mats painted black with the vinyl paint and it seems to have worked pretty good. I'll hopefully be doing the door panels tomorrow maybe if I can get over to it check out my friends parts truck for a clean panel with clips.

Another thing I almost forgot about was door lock keys. The previous owner didn't give me any door keys so I'll have to pull the lock and have some keys made.

Just one step at a time. Little things here and there making the truck as a whole look better. :D

Truck is looking really good, liking that bench seat.

Your door panel clips should be available at your local napa. I have a spare glovebox door with good hinge if your interested, PM me. Also curious if you would share what it cost you to get that seat done? Did they use all new foam too?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop a little update till I have more time for a full one. Bench seat is in the truck and floor mats / door panels got painted. I'm able to drive the truck a bit but the carb is still giving me issues. Posted a topic about carb suggestions here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21591-rebuild-the-stock-carb-or-swap-it-out/

Had a bit of trouble getting one of the rear bolts screwed down. Took a little more thinking that i'd expect a seat install to need but it got in there. It's still popping out of gear in 5th but not as bad as before. Still need a rear view mirror or install a wink mirror..

Might buy new seat belts since I need a passenger belt (old driver's side was waaay torn up and not safe so I stole the passenger side for now) but its about 60 each side which isn't too bad for safety...

http://www.gotbelts.com/puburelapsh.html

Might buy a set for my 510 at the same time. I believe they are DOT approved?

Anyways, not much left to fix up mainly the carb and a bit of fluid replacement and should be good. Might do a new exhaust just because the one on it is so dinky and rusted.

Oh and my dad found this pretty retro mother of pearl looking shift knob he found in some old stuff. It just happen to fit! Looks pretty 60's - 70's. I'll snap a pic of it.

Some more progress today. Got some pictures together. Today I was hoping that I'd get the seat in and everything finished up but I didn't get enough time.

A pic of the finished seat. I think it came out very nice and its pretty comfortable.

the cleaned up grill with the badge installed. Took some time to put it back on the truck and it looks really nice. I'll have to take some full shots of the truck once I can pull it out of where it sits at the moment.

Took some time to finish up the under seat carpet. Came out pretty good. :cool:

While this may look like nothing special to most of you.. my truck was missing every single one of these. Picked these up off a friend's parts truck today. Little washing and they look like new. Beats the duct-tape that was put over the holes when I got the truck. :lol:

Taking off the passenger door panel first, I'm not sure why it didn't strike me as odd that it was held together with about a bajillion screws. It wasn't till I got to the drivers side did I notice no screws and the standard plastic clips intact. I only broke two but the passenger door has every single one broken off. I may see if my friend's parts truck as a decent clean door panel with clips intact. Is it possible to find replacement clips?

Anyways, Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have the bench back in the truck. I have the floor mats painted black with the vinyl paint and it seems to have worked pretty good. I'll hopefully be doing the door panels tomorrow maybe if I can get over to it check out my friends parts truck for a clean panel with clips.

Another thing I almost forgot about was door lock keys. The previous owner didn't give me any door keys so I'll have to pull the lock and have some keys made.

Just one step at a time. Little things here and there making the truck as a whole look better. :D

Truck is looking really good, liking that bench seat.

Your door panel clips should be available at your local napa. I have a spare glovebox door with good hinge if your interested, PM me. Also curious if you would share what it cost you to get that seat done? Did they use all new foam too?

Yes, napa has them.

Finally got some pics.

0512001854.jpg

Door locks were a bit of an ordeal. I planned to get a key made for one lock which I assumed would work on the other. My ignition key didn't work on the door lock. Well turns out that lock I took out and down to the locksmith had a piece of a key stuck in it. Since that lock turned freely I assume that broken piece was the complete key. My ignition key fit in one lock but wouldn't turn it but wouldn't fit in the one with the broken key was removed from.. so I assume locks were switched at some point. Anyways, I just happen to have bought some 510 doors with a key that worked on the locks. Figured it was worth a try and they fit perfectly. :D

0513001823.jpg

0513001845.jpg

Prepped and painted the door panels and handles. I got a door panel off a friend's parts truck and it just happen to be a blue door panel as well painted black. Overall everything came out looking nice.

0514001929.jpg

Installed in the truck. :)

0515001851.jpg

Seat finally installed in the truck. Had trouble getting the last bottom bolt through the hole. So I disconnected the bottom rail from the seat and bolted it in place. Then pushed the rest of the seat back on the rail. Tricky but it worked. Very comfy seat and I sit a bit higher than before.

0515001849.jpg

0515001851a.jpg

Truck is slowly coming together. :cool: As you can see I did a little work hammering out the damaged fender. Grill clean and installed.

BUT a new update today...

0518001823.jpg

Picked these up today off craigslist. Some nice slot mags. The tires are a bit too large but I was going to do some new tires anyways, figure I might as well do some wheels too. They are a 15 x 8 with a 4in backspacing. A little wider than I wanted but should work ok with out rubbing. I think they'd look pretty good with some smaller tires. Any suggestions on sizes?

0518001834.jpg

Looks like some optional brand specific caps were available? or factory? They have no markings on the inside... just some sort of serial or part number? The center cap is held on with three screws. Anyone recognize this style of slot mag?

So... whats next for the truck you may ask?

Well I need to get it running a bit more consistently and the carb is running a bit rough and the auto choke isn't working too well. Might have a source on a rebuild for less than it'd cost for a new carb.

Might have some other basic maintenance done to get things cleaned up. Then from there... who knows. Might get a radio in there possibly a 8-track player for fun. :lol:

I still need a glove box door and a front marker lens and lens trim.

Anyways, thats it for now. Once it is more complete I'll do some better shots with my nikon. :cool:

Those wheels are factory Jeep wheels from a wagoneer. I thought that they were only 7 inches wide though.

I'll try and take some more exact measurements next time. I was pretty sure it was 8 wide but I was kind of in a hurry.

Thanks for the ID help. :thumbup:

Lookin good. Slots always look cool on 620's :cool: I like the black door panels. The 1 thing I hated about the white & blue Datsuns is the blue interior :poop:

Thanks,

I saw you were running 195/50's on your chevy wheels. Was that stretching the tire on those wide rims or was it a snug fit?

Well, since I finished the interior I moved to the engine bay. It started with just rebuilding the carb and has now turned in to tearing apart most of the engine.

So far I spent a ton of time cursing the engineer who thought it was a good idea to put bolts in odd places and thought the winding maze of redundant routing of air and emission gasses was a "good idea". <_< Several cuts and bleeding fingers later I had the intake and exhaust manifold off and a broken bolt in the head.

Removed pretty much all of the emissions systems from the truck which should make the engine bay a lot cleaner and maybe make the truck a little bit lighter.

So far I've had trouble tracking down some parts for a 620. Mostly things like exhaust/intake manifold gasket and some of the smaller gaskets. Seems like its pretty hit and miss from store to store. I've managed to track down most of it but a few pieces still elude me.

Still not quite sure what to do about tires. Go for some light off-road type tires or get some standard all seasons? :huh:

Ive always had great luck just going to the local Nissan Dealership. and sometimes ebay.

Larry

Yeah, I'm going to try napa as a last consumer store resort and next stop is dealership. I'm amazed at this decline in availability.

Farmer do you know anything about that Apex auto wrecking out near Merlin? Did they close down?

Anyways, I may go for those Yokohama Geolander ATS tires... I guess 400 installed isn't a bad price considering the next closest price is $500 installed.

Got my nice clean hot tanked radiator back, looks brand new! Hopefully picking up a nice rebuilt hitachi carburetor tomorrow.

Apex closed last summer. Wasnt really a certified auto wreckers. Told to conform or to shut down. Only thing here is peachstreet, caveman and Indian creek.

Larry

Oh really? Bummer. :( Seemed like it was the only good wrecking yard left. Only one that got a few datsuns from time to time.. PM me if you have any more 620 parts I can buy off you. :P

The next part to quickly address was the seat belts. While they are nice and retractable the driver's side one appears to have shredded and look about as unsafe as not having one at all. So I would swap for the passenger side till I could find another one.

Regarding your seatbelts (particularly the shredded driver's side) - if you remove the retractor from the truck and pull the belt ALL the way out, you'll notice that the belt itself is held in the retractor drum with a dowel that presses through a loop sewn into the end of the belt (from what I've seen, virtually all retractors from this era are set up this way).

If you lock the retractor to keep spring tension on the drum, you can push the dowel out, remove the belt from the retractor drum and replace it with another belt - I swapped a pair of later model Honda belts into my retractors to get belts and buckles that matched the blue Mazda 626 seats I installed in my KC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Long time no update.

Project is progressing very slowly. A broken bolt in the head has caused a bit delay. Standard attempts to remove it failed so I had to transport it to a friend mechanic with experience removing these stubborn bolts. With a torch he heated the head and managed to back out the bolt and didn't have to re-tap it and make it some weird size. :cool: Worth the trouble in my book. He said I wasn't responsible for the bolt getting stuck, he said some one cross threaded it long before I got my hands on it. He took the time to retread the hole and clean the rest of them while he was in there. :D

Truck should be back soon for me to finish assembling. Everything else is pretty much ready to be installed. Wheels are already mounted with tires ready to be installed. I did pick up some parts from a guy parting out what was other wise a clean 620 (turning it in to a "race truck" :( ) Nabbed a few cleaner parts for a very low price. :thumbup:

When I get a bit more time I'll drop in a few more pics. :ph34r:

Alright, long time no update and things be changing quickly now that I'm putting it back together.

I got the truck back from getting the bolt removed from the head. My mechanic friend said it wasn't too hard to get out but I had nothing to do with getting it stuck. Some one before me had cross threaded it. So he went back through it and put some clean threads back in there so I didn't have to move up to some weird bolt size.

20100619111322.JPG

20100619111353.JPG

Before I got the truck back the tires arrived and had them mounted on the Jeep Slot mags I picked up earlier.

20100618183518.JPG

20100621201102.JPG

Once I got the truck back the wheels were the first thing to go on the truck.

20100629193358.jpg

20100629193413.jpg

20100629193434.jpg

With the bolt out of the way it was time to start putting the truck back together. A lot of parts have been cleaned up and some bolts were replaced. Radiator was hot tanked and flushed also added a temp gauge that I've had sitting around for a few years, just to see how easy it was to set up. Some guys at Canby pointed out some of those extra ports on the thermostat housing I was plugging up could be used for those gauges. Turns out this one was a perfect fit on the Datsun housing and I will likely be installing one on my 510. :thumbup:

20100703191351.jpg

20100703191340.jpg

Pulled off the valve cover and replaced the valve cover gasket. I noticed some oil had been slowly leaking out and also gave me an opportunity to swap out that "Nissan OHC" valve cover for a "Datsun OHC" one. ^_^

20100703191331.jpg

20100703191408.jpg

20100703191442.jpg

Cleaned up that ugly exhaust manifold with some paint and painted the thin little heat shield. Came out really nice.

I've made a bit more progress but I'll post those updates here soon. Truck is nearly finished. Hopefully I hooked up everything right and it starts up alright. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Got most of the truck back together. Interior is all in place and most of the engine has been together for a while. Been waiting for a friend to come and adjust the carb correctly (mostly because I've never done it before and didn't want to screw it up).

Anyways he came out today and after a little adjusting the truck is running good, timing might be a little off and I need to put the PCV piece back on the intake to close up a vacuum leak. With that in place it should be back on the road.

Racnjsn took some time to clean up my stock air cleaner plugging up all the useless emissions stuff and extra holes. Got some paint that looks close to the factory color. Came out pretty nice. :cool:

Should have pictures soon.

One down side is I now suddenly have a leak coming from the transmission area.. the truck hasn't moved in a while... so I'm not sure what has caused this sudden leak.