Steering Reset / Pitman Arm Reset?

So I just did a COMPLETE steering linkage replacement (both side Rods assembly's, Idler Arm Re-built, & Ball Joints) My Dime turns smooth as butter now, I did my own alignment and both my adjusting rods on my side rods are set pretty near the same adjustment. Car drives nice and straight. However My steering wheel is 'upside down' and my right turn signal pretty much auto cancels right away and my left stays on even after I turn the corner... I'm just guessing here but seems like if my alignment is right and I get full range in turning. I should center my wheels straight and then remove my pitman arm from the steering shaft, Turn the wheel to 'Neutral' or 'center' (halfway between full right & full left) Then re-attach the pitman arm. I haven't pulled my pitman arm before, So I wanted to get some other opinions before I tried this fix....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you pull the steering wheeh off and put it on the way you want it.????????

usually the wheel or the wheel adapter has those tangs/stubs that cancell the blinkers. Usually set in the 9 and 3 oclock position.

how does this happen?

In my beater 510 I have my steering wheel slightly offset so I can see my oil/volt gauge.One arm of the wheel when straight was blocking my view. Of coarse the blink will cancell faster on one side than the other.

Can you pull the steering wheeh off and put it on the way you want it.????????

usually the wheel or the wheel adapter has those tangs/stubs that cancell the blinkers. Usually set in the 9 and 3 oclock position.

how does this happen?

In my beater 510 I have my steering wheel slightly offset so I can see my oil/volt gauge.One arm of the wheel when straight was blocking my view. Of coarse the blink will cancell faster on one side than the other.

Well Yes I could just re-mount my steering wheel. However I am more concerned with getting my turn signals to behave correctly. It doesn't bother my that my steering wheel isn't 'perfect' I want my turn signals to auto-cancel correctly. Its annoying having to 'hold' on my right turn signal. It also must mean that my pitman arm is not in the right placement even though my alignment works.

The turn signal cancellers are part of the steering wheel, not the shaft. Take off the wheel- there's 2 pins sticking out that hit the plastic mechanism bolted to the column. If the wheel is oriented wrong, the cancellers will orient wrong.

Now, if the pitman arm was on wrong, it wouldn't have proper range in one direction; it's hit the stop on one side but max out the steering box on the other. Oh, and the column lock would be backwards (that pins to the steering shaft)

if you can go full max left and right

then pull the steeering wheel off and put it in the center so you blinkers work normanlly.

As doug said its the steering wheel or aftermarket steering wheel adapter that shuts of the blinkers

only thing I cant think of steering was disconnect from the arm at some point and maybe the steering cloulm moved during work turned a half and arm put back on not noticeing steering wheel placement

all else fails replace the right rear light bulb 1157

You won't be able to reposition the wheel with the pitman arm. The splines on the arm have a "missing spline" so the arm can only go on one way. Also, the steering box would be out of center so you car would run out of steering quicker in one direction than the other. I would go with what everybody else is saying and take the steering wheel off and realign it on the steering shaft. This should take care of the wheel being off center and you blinker canceling issue.

I don't know about the 510 but the 620, 720 and 280zx sector shaft/pitman arm spline is so designed that it will only line up in 4, 90 degree positions so it's virtually impossible to screw it up

Rock on! That's what I was curious about being I have never taken my arm off. I have a MOMO steering hub adapter and I will look into dissembling that unit to find my blinker tabs and then aligning my steering wheel to match driving wheel position. Thank you for all of your quick responses & insight! Curious as to why my steering and blinkers are that far off while my alignment is good shape with all new parts. Maybe The previous owner hit something and it was WAY out of whack when I bought it?

• 3 weeks later...