Pad and Rotor brands?

Just Joel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using stock rotors now with axxis/repco pads. Don't they are that awesome. I am going to be switching to powerslots and hawk pads soon and will post response later. if you need pads or rotors let me know I may be able to get you a good deal. I do suggest to get stainless braided brake lines. That helped a lot for me and all cars I have done in past datsun or not. I have heard of switching calipers to like a toyota 4 piston or something but have not tried it yet as I don't drive my car much to spend time on it and also not sure if it will clear my wheels.

I really like the hawk pads on other cars I have tried. they hold up well and brake well.

I am using stock rotors now with axxis/repco pads. Don't they are that awesome. I am going to be switching to powerslots and hawk pads soon and will post response later. if you need pads or rotors let me know I may be able to get you a good deal. I do suggest to get stainless braided brake lines. That helped a lot for me and all cars I have done in past datsun or not. I have heard of switching calipers to like a toyota 4 piston or something but have not tried it yet as I don't drive my car much to spend time on it and also not sure if it will clear my wheels.

I really like the hawk pads on other cars I have tried. they hold up well and brake well.

Hawk makes an application for the 280zx?! I searched but couldn't find a part # a while back... I used Hawk pads with brembo blanks on my Tacoma and they were great. I'll have to look into that and see if I can find them.

Thanks

Joel

from what I remember or heard is the 79-81 zx's have a different rotor caliper set up. I believe the caliper size between the years are different and the early years used solid rotors and the later years used vented rotors. I emailed my guy for a price on hawk pads in case you have the correct years under hawks listing

Well, mine came off of an 80' but they have vented rotors... Could be they were switched out at some point for the newer gen but I'm not sure... A while back there was a thread where people were discussing part #'s (of strut bodies) in relation to year of zx but I can't find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Later

Joel

Below is a posted photo from Kelvin Dietz showing the 510 and 280ZX "P6500" early strut as being the same angle. There has been discussion that the -P65xx (79-81) struts do not work because they create positive camber and only the -P94xx (82-83) are considered usable, but this photo shows differently.

The factory part numbers for RH struts w/dampers are as follows:

7/78 - 8/81, L28E, 54302-P6525, alt P/N 54302-P9426

9/81 - 1/82, L28E(T), 54302-P9425, alt P/N 54302-P9426

9/81 - 1/82, L28E(T), 54302-P9426

2/82 - on, L28E(T), 54302-P9125, alt P/N 54302-P9126

2/82 - on, L28E(T), 54302-P9126, alt P/N 54302-P9426

The commonality of alternate P/N 54302-P9426 would indicate that all struts should interchange, but from those having actually used these parts it appears not to be so.

Car-Parts.com lists a break in their search results between 79-81 and 82-83. They also distinguish a difference between turbo and N/A when searching as well.

Another note is Nissan used to sell a "crash" repair lower control arm to correct excess possitive camber. The control arm was a direct install into a 510 and measured 3/8" longer than the stock part. These are talked about in the "How to Hot Rod your Datsun" book and yes they did exist. I own a set.

9510_VS_280ZX_STRUT_COMPARE.jpg

Here it is... less helpful if you’re considering breaks rather than spindle angle but none the less. I'll have to check the numbers tomorrow and see what year they came from.

Later

Joel

Bump... still looking for other opinions!

Thanks

Joel

Whatever you do , don't touch meineke or other cheap places like that with their "specials". Those special pads will eat your rotor more than wearing down the pad :blink: have seen it :lol: ( I haven't worked on any lately )

I just use raybestos , wagner , etc... I don't touch brands I have never heard of in general ( about a million of them ) quality of drums and rotors is different from different batches IMHO.

Porterfield r4s full olf win

Never heard of the brand but I'm new to this. What’s the difference between the R-4 and R-4s? There is a significant price jump between the options. On a plus side, they offer a rear set of shoes with a matching label (compound?). Anyone else have any experience with the brand/line of pads and shoes?

Thanks

Joel

Porterfield r4s full olf win

x2

I recently installed some Porterfield R4S pads and I love them. My one gripe is that they dust really bad, but in terms of performance they are awesome. The difference between the R4 and the R4S is that the R4 is a race only pad where as the R4S is a street/autox pad. Go with the R4S if you are going to be doing any driving on the street.

I'm not a huge fan of the dust (like most I'm sure ;) ) but if it must be, I'll deal with it.

Has anyone dealt with or have an opinion on EBC pads?

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

And how about rotors? Like I said, I’ve dealt with Brembo blanks and they worked well… Is there something better or different that is worth taking a look at?

Thanks

Joel

I'm not a huge fan of the dust (like most I'm sure ;) ) but if it must be, I'll deal with it.

Has anyone dealt with or have an opinion on EBC pads?

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

And how about rotors? Like I said, I’ve dealt with Brembo blanks and they worked well… Is there something better or different that is worth taking a look at?

Thanks

Joel

i have ebc yellows on my dime now and i wish they where r4s

Yep, figured that one. Just trying to keep the cash in the community rather then to some random internet supplier. But if no other option comes up, I've already picked out the site ;)

How about rotors? Lots of pad feedback but nothing really on the other half of the equation.

Thanks

Joel