Datsun Bug

I can probably say, I haven't had this much enjoyment with a car or make before. I always have a smile on my face and so glad to catch the Datsun bug.

It started one day at a track event in Georgia, good ol' Roebling Road. This day, change everything to me. My current track and daily driver was a Honda S2000. I really loved this car and it was practically trouble free considering how much I beated on it. The day was pretty uneventful except someone ended up losing their oil filter on the track and luckily pulled over quick enough before the damage was done and some dyno shop guy rented a newer jag from enterprise to run that day but the auto tranny didn't make it around the track more than 10x. But later that day, the pro's were out on the track. Me, being worn out I was sitting at the start/finish flag station, just manually timing cars and taking it easy when a little red and yellow race car caught my eye. This thing was hauling tail too and ended up with the second fastest time of the day, darn suby and the awd. I was curious then what this car was. It looked like an older bmw and overheard someone say it was a Datsun. I never had a chance to talk to the owner, because I couldn't figure out who it was. But I became hooked and searched the web and found all about the racing history these cars have. I caught the bug, and I thought someday I would own one.

The 510 I saw that day:

L20b pushing 200hp

PictureRoeblingRoad002.jpg

And here is my S2000:

PictureRoeblingRoad021.jpg

That day came about a year later when life changes had to be made, we were buying a house and the S2000 wasn't paid for yet. So I sold that car and took over my wifes civic and a 72 Orange 2 door 510. And she got a new Element SC. The 1972 needed help in every way. This being my first project, I never knew how much time it would take to do. If I was single it wouldn't have taken nearly as long. The motor was junk and the carb needed rebuild. If I could do it again. I would of rebuilt the motor and carb that was in it. But it became a swapper. I bought an S14 SR20de, Mckinney Mounts, and all the other good stuff to make these things scream. Me and my Father-in-law completed it and I was able to drive it short distances but there was something wrong. With no FSM to troubleshoot off of because it is in only japanese from what I have heard. We were never able to figure it out but by that time, I had a son that was born and the project, became a project with no end it seemed like. I wanted a driver not a parker.

By this time the economy was turning down and I noticed a few really nice drivers online and on ebay. I thought well maybe, just maybe one of them could be mine. After missing out on the yellow 4dr with a vg30 for $4500 and then there was a burgundy one for $7000 with a KA24de that was pristine, missed that one too, I went for the black one on ebay with a vg30. Taking a chance, just simply because it had a few pictures and limited information about the car. Asking a few days in advance on what the reserve was because it seemed like it may not make it. I arrived back home that evening with less than a minute remaining on the car, I offered his reserve price because it wasn't higher than $5k and won. Man I was stoked. I am the winner but now I have to get it from San Diego to Atlanta. So making plans with the owner for the following weekend. I was a proud owner.

Here is the long story of how that went if you want to read:

http://www.redlineautoclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=946

After having own this car since Nov. 2007, I have never had so much respect for a little car. It is a blast to drive and it seems like nothing will ever break on it. I have been dailying this thing for the past 4 months with one way to work is about 40 miles with no heat too since the other Datsun isn't ready yet.

I also have never had so many compliments or ever had people chasing me down the highway just to capture a cell phone picture and give a thumbs up.

I know this car isn't perfect. I wish it was but it is definitely unique. It was currently listed on craigslist for sale but I am asking for a premium price just cause I don't want to lose her. I put it out there for the wife, so hopefully no one will buy her. Now I am currently working on a 620 and have a 720 parts truck in the driveway too.

Motor has been swapped already with the 5 speed. It has A/C on the 720, but the compressor is to big. It should be on the road next week. But I wanted to share a few videos and pictures of my car. It once belonged to Tony Anderson of Lemon Grove, CA. So I have to thank him for all his hardwork.

Things that I have done was swap seats, replace interior carpet, changed out the gauges for black ones. Made Bluebird Taillight Gaskets out of sheet of rubber, replaced window seal, and a complete rewire under the hood. It was really shoddy job and headlights got new updated relays.

When I first bought it.

dimes6.jpg

And I recently went to a photo shoot. Thought you guys might like these:

frontwidedone1.jpg

knobdone.jpg

back4done4done.jpg

I currently have a few videos online that some of you may have seen.

Latest one is 510 Heaven:

The Orange one moving on it's own no exhaust yet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/F8d2Blk#p/u/15/2VSonGjJDyw

Also featured in this old school video:

And here is my Datsun 620, it is a 76' and I hope to autox it soon:

3" drop, L20, 5 speed, weber carb.

620Wheels2.jpg

See you's guys at the Mitty this year, can't wait!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice cars man!

I have seen that black one somewhere before.

WTF is up with that hood? Is it transparent or is my xray vision kicking in again?:)

No clear hood. It is a photoshop. I used to like the realm but there are a select few that ruin it for everyone.

nice! :thumbup:

i gotta learn how to do that stuff!

someone stole the passengers wiper :P

It didn't have any wipers when I bought it. I put on one and does the trick. A buddy of mine says my one wiper moves faster than his 2 wipers so I guess it can be a good thing.

This foreign lady from Iran spotted my car outside of walmart and said she loved my car and that iran still has a bunch of them there still. She also translated my front license plate for me.

Lady: I can translate your front license plate, if you don't know what it says

Me(being gullible and not remembering what it says): Sure

Lady (walks up to plate and points at the numbers): It says 33 and 337

Me: Thank you, now I know

I laughed the whole way home. Very nice lady and she wanted a picture with the car.

A buddy of mine says my one wiper moves faster than his 2 wipers so I guess it can be a good thing.

:rofl:

i am 1 of the lucky ones... my 2nd speed isnt 'slower' :P

its more for splattered bugs anyways, whats rain?

Very nice lady and she wanted a picture with the car.

translation w/pix... or it didnt happen! :fu:

Theres more photos here and thanks for the love, I am still learning lots about these cars:

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo61/f8d2blk_photo/

translation w/pix... or it didnt happen!

She was with her husband, and I took the picture for here on her camera she keeps in her purse. I think her husband felt out of place, cause she was going nuts over the car.

This foreign lady from Iran spotted my car outside of walmart and said she loved my car and that iran still has a bunch of them there still. She also translated my front license plate for me.

Lady: I can translate your front license plate, if you don't know what it says

Me(being gullible and not remembering what it says): Sure

Lady (walks up to plate and points at the numbers): It says 33 and 337

Me: Thank you, now I know

I laughed the whole way home. Very nice lady and she wanted a picture with the car.

What do you expect from a.) a foreign lady and b.) wal-mart patron :P

Fuzz

MAn the VG30 is such a clean install! The air cleaner has me thinking it is carbed? If so do you know which way they resolved the distributor?

It is Carb'd. Has a big holly carb on it i think. Jeff's car is amazing, i have seen it a couple of times, i couldn't believe how sweet it was the first time i saw it.

It is Carb'd. Has a big holly carb on it i think. Jeff's car is amazing, i have seen it a couple of times, i couldn't believe how sweet it was the first time i saw it.

It's not that nice and the stupid paint isn't holding up to well. I take that back. Its nice but not perfect. Maybe one day, it will be stripped and repainted. Whomever painted it last time, it isn't holding up to well.

It's not that nice and the stupid paint isn't holding up to well. I take that back. Its nice but not perfect. Maybe one day, it will be stripped and repainted. Whomever painted it last time, it isn't holding up to well.

Just completed a second video:

Hope you guys like it.