Throw Away Driveline?

The Goon has been shaking whye underway. As of a week ago it was Really Bad. Was thinkin that it would be an easy U-Joint swap. Called the part store and the U-Joints were $40, they only had one, and they are Crimp Style? :blink: Gotta take the driveline into a shop and have it converted, cause there aren't any of the correct Crinpers in the area (Called Around) Heard that guys have Glued them in before? Lucily Tyler(78B210GTX) gave me the D-line out of his 78 B210, the D-line that came in the 79 210 parts car had been converted to greesable press in U-joints. My question is, Do all Datsuns have these wierd drivelines in them? Also should I have it (Old Driveline) converted to Press in or them snap ring joints? Had alot of dealings with the snap ring type and like them, but are the press in ones stronger?

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I remember, the B210 has a funky driveline. I went to find U-Joints for my 521 one time, and the local parts house carried them, but in the process, I was told a story by the guy at the counter that he'd had a customer that ended up junking their vehicle(B210) because the U-Joints had gone bad, and couldn't find replacements within reasonable price. Now, I don't know how motivated that particular customer was to keep his Datsun, but that only led me to believe it wasn't an ordinary, "over the counter" item.

All I can say is keep sleuthing. We're a resourceful band, and someone will know how to cure what ails ya.

Well Im ok for now with the replacement(stock) one out of Tylers B210GTX project. And he gots a redone press-in one for that(from parts car) The drivelines are the same length for the 210 and B210. Did they change to replaceabe ones in the later 210s and 510s that share my chassis? Should I go to press-in or Snap Ring type for my Pumpkn Car? Dont know the Pros and Cons of these type joints.

Looked around and found Drivelines NW in Tacoma for the work.

Thanks

Dave

Just got back from Drivelines NW! They gotta make a whole new driveline :( $352 :o Dang! Thats almost double what I paid for the car! $140 is just labor. Dang, thats expensive! Gonna hafta pace myself on this one :(

I heard that the early 620's could not be fixed as well. Luckly the newer ones could.

Not according to the part numbers.

Ya the Z drive shafts are like that too Mike, you cant replace the joints you just have to get a new one.

Skip, I had a '79 Cutlass and the u-joints are installed and plastic injected in to hold them. Good thing is you can still use a hammer to remove them and replace with C clips. Anything to save a buck.

Fine with me. :lol: That's how things are learned.

Take a look at most manuals even the factory ones. Look up the main bearing journal size for L16/18/20B and also the Z20/22/24.

5 bolt crank L16/18 are 2.1631"

6 bolt crank L20B/Z20/22/24 are 2.3599"

Yet many manuals show many of the Z and even some years of L20B the same as the 5 bolt crank at 2.1631". Even my Nissan '84 720 FSM has the wrong size listed for the Z24.

There is a company that makes replaceable u-joints for the "staked" in style.

You drive out the cap file down the remnants of the stake.

The replacement U-joint is retained by inside snap ring. Datsun/Nissan

used several different sizes of staked u-joints.

Measure the diameter of you cap and the distance

between the ears of the yoke. Make sure the inside of the yoke ears is cast

or machined perpendicular to the u-joint cross(needs to be flat so the snap ring

seats against it.

Here are the sizes available

.791 cap 1.285 stack up

.867 cap 1.400 stack up

.947 cap 1.641 stack up

.972 cap 1.641 stack up

I run a driveline shop in New York and $352 sounds outrageous.

Kevin Dennis

• Like 1

Watts Wheel and Driveshaft can fix that problem in Spokane. And if they can't, I have a Datsun Guru with a fab shop who can probably do it. Staked joints sucked, but they won't stand up to a lathe!

If Spokane can do it, there has to be a company on the West side of WA that does it. Check out hot-rod shops, find out who does their custom drivelines. Usually it's not too much to alter a driveline, can't imagine it would be much to adapt a different yoke, or put in a more common u-joint that's replaceable.

The staked u-joint replacements I use are made by Rockford driveline in Illinois.

I believe the 210 staked shaft uses the .791 cap. Part number is 430-9. I keep

8 or 10 at a time. Shouldn't cost you more than $20.00.

The problem with starting with a staked shaft is the tube they use. Most are

2.55 OD. Not a standard tube. Mazda and toyota do the same thing.

There really isnt a need to get crazy custom machining parts to fix this problem.

A completley new shaft slip yoke to flange should cost about $250. Sounds like

alot, but when you consider there are 7 parts to the shaft plus assembly and balance

its pretty reasonable.

The easiest way to remove the stakes is to just drive the cap past the stakes.

As long as you are hitting the yoke in the right place you won't do any damage.

Hit the yoke right at the base of the ear down near the weld. Don't hit the tube!!

If your not comfortable hitting the yoke, get a Bi-metal hole saw. Modify the OD

so its a hair smaller than the cap, place over the cap and slowly cut out the stakes

and then drive the cap out. Obviously the hole saw is used without the centering drill.

The key to using the replacement joints is the casting of the yoke. If the inside of the

ears are not flat do not use an inside snap ring replacement. The miata and the Honda

CRV are good examples. the inside of the yoke is at an angle, the snap ring touches

in one small spot and is away from the yoke the rest of the way around. If the ring

spins it can allow the cap to start to move out of the ear causing the cross to slop

inside the caps and the eventually tear out of the yoke. It sounds like an unlikely

scenario, but I have seen it twice.

If you have access to a good machine shop almost anything is possible. I am as much

of a "make it work" guy as the rest of you, but after 15 years of doing shafts I have

seen some terrible things happen when a shaft is cobbled together. Good driveline

design and fabrication is money well spent when you really think about what the shaft

is doing.

Feel free to give me a call at the shop. Happy to help if I can.

1-585-458-1520

Kevin Dennis

Usually it's not too much to alter a driveline, can't imagine it would be much to adapt a different yoke, or put in a more common u-joint that's replaceable.

Had a shop put a chev van yoke and spline on my 620. Takes a chevy U joint now. Had drive shaft problems on a trip to Ontario. The drive shaft place gut was cool. Told me to get one from a wrecking yard and he grafted it on. He came in on a Sat and did it in an hour including me taking it off and putting back on.

Thanks for all the usefull info! I was wondering if there was a datsun driveline that was the same slip and bolt on yokes, that I could have shortened? Maby a 620 or a 510? Dont know the specifics of these autos, and you guys know your shiz!

The 210 and 1200 slip yoke is .800 18 spline the 510 is .995 22 on 24 (2 splines missing).

Not sure of the stock lengths, but you would for sure have to come up with a slip yoke

that uses the .985 cap 1.734 lock up inside snap ring joint that was .800 18 spline. They

are available new through power train for 35 or 40 bucks. I know some 1200's came with

a replaceable joint 18 spline slip yoke. The flange should be the same male pilot 2.250

2.750 bolt circle.