Turbo Lover

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how much work you're willing to do, I suppose... I don't know turbos, but I think as far as basics go you'd probably go with fuel injection... you could go with a VG (correct designation?) and get it with turbos stock... IIRC it's a bit big though, so you might have some issues getting it in. I don't know anything about the SR's, but you might be able to get a turbo on one... a bit pricey IIRC... that leaves either an FI L-Series, or a KA... seems like the KA is generally the more common choice, and ought to fit fairly well in the 510... I think the truck SOHC had lower compression, but I honestly couldn't tell ya...

I don't suppose any of that really helps you much, though...

im kinda thinking the same ideas datdoug. if you are loyal to your l series like me. im gonna take a 280zx intake, and shorten it. then weld a flange on my exhaust mani, then run a t25/28 turbo. that is the short of it as other things will need to be done. fortunatly ive heard the stock cam works well with a turbo. if you go any bigger its a waste. so ill choose to save that money! going more than 5 psi on a stocker maybe wouldnt be a good idea until some extra work is done, but i mean how fast do you want to spend?

im kinda thinking the same ideas datdoug. if you are loyal to your l series like me. im gonna take a 280zx intake, and shorten it. then weld a flange on my exhaust mani, then run a t25/28 turbo. that is the short of it as other things will need to be done. fortunatly ive heard the stock cam works well with a turbo. if you go any bigger its a waste. so ill choose to save that money! going more than 5 psi on a stocker maybe wouldnt be a good idea until some extra work is done, but i mean how fast do you want to spend?

The stock cams work good because of there lobe center. I had Schneider widen mine out to 114 degrees. This helps build backpressure by assuring the valves are not open at the same time. Lift and duration are not as critical on a turbo cam. If you only want 5 psi of boost you could use a turbo with a smaller A/R turbine housing. That will help with the turbo spooling up quicker and reduce lag. Fi is definately the way to go. Thats not to say it hasent been done with carbs just that injection will give you more power because its more efficent. For your manifold try looking at mcmaster/carr for weld el's. You can get mild steel or stainless and they hold up better to the heat and resist cracking when you hang a turbo off them than the stock cast iron one. Just my .02 cents. I guess i'll find out here in a few weeks. Good luck.

I was thinking about getting a turbo for my 510. What motor/head is the best to use with a turbo?

Unless you can fabricate an intake and exhaust mani go with an SR or KA. Parts are redily available and the SR came turboed.

I would think any "take off" turbo would be fine. A t25 off an sr would work great for an L motor. Any nissan turbo car would have a big enough turbo to have fun with out getting yourself into trouble. EFI would be the best in my opinion.

If you are planning on doing a motor swap I would go with an already turboed engine. Less thinking that way :D My sr has been great for 4 years so I can't complain. :D