Finally!!

Jester

Well guys, I finally found a truck worth buying! I found a '71 in pretty decent shape. It has a freshly rebuilt Weber, new front brakes, 14" aluminum slots. The guy said he did the carb and brake work and the starter quit working. So, he just parked it. Not a bad find for $300.00.:thumbsup:

I'll post pictures when I get it home in a couple days.

Jester

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, I finally found a truck worth buying! I found a '71 in pretty decent shape. It has a freshly rebuilt Weber, new front brakes, 14" aluminum slots. The guy said he did the carb and brake work and the starter quit working. So, he just parked it. Not a bad find for $300.00.:thumbsup:

I'll post pictures when I get it home in a couple days.

Jester

Congrats! A new weber alone almost cost that much. Good on ya.

Scott

Sounds pretty good! Take it for a test-drive anyways... do the rolling start... You didn't mention a transmission swap, and I don't think any of the 521's came with autos, so you ought to be able to do it that way... just get a good hill, or bring a buddy and hook up a rope between the two.

That is, if the seller lets you... just a thought.

Awesome! Just as long as it doesn't look cooler than mine when it's done... :rolleyes:

Are you towing it, or are you going to push start it? Or did you get the starter changed? If at all possible, I vote driving it... gotta be one of the coolest feelings in the world... it makes me giddy just thinking about it... :D

Thanks for the offer of help. I know these are like going back to the basics, but, I may just take you up on that some time. Hell, if nothing else we can get together for a beer or something.

As to getting the truck home, I will probably tow it to the house and work on it there. That would be about 40 miles. I thought about bumping it and heading for home. I just want to make sure that everything important is up to the job first. You know those things called brakes??? Both master cylinders are at the bottom of the res. with fluid. Not dry, just VERY low. I pushed the clutch in yesterday when I payed for it and the pedal didn't come back all the way. :blink: One tire on the back is showing a lot of weather cracks.

With all that I think it would be best to get her home and give it the once over.

Thanks guys, I'm very excited.:D

Jester

BTW; I got to dick'n with it today and noticed it has a dual point dist. Where these factory or an aftermarket deal?

I put some fresh brake fluid in the brake reservior and it will build and hold pressure. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll bleed them tomorrow, then see how the clutch work as well. May try to start it too.

Jester

Awesome... looks like you've got your work cut out for you... :D

I noticed the speakers in the door panel... watch out for those. If you don't have the window squeegies on the outside of the doors you'll get water down inside the door... it might rot out the speaker cones or short out the connections. Either get the squeegee, or seal the area behind the door panel and around the back of the speaker well.

BTW, what is that to the left of the steering column? Looks like some sort of meter or something...