Z24 timing Chain Cover

Nissan_Boy85

Is there any good way to seal up the timing chain cover up? After my recent rebuild thats the only thing thats leaking/bad in general, except for the carb (needs adjustment, running way to rich). I used new paper-ish gaskets and its leaking. I got some new ones from Nissan that I can use if I need to. Tips/advice appricated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaking where? Sides? The top is the head gasket and the bottom is the oil pan gasket. Did you use a new front crank oil seal? Is it leaking from there and blowing back? Did you replace the oil pump gasket?

Set TDC and loosen the front and a few side oil pan bolts and the 4 front 10mm bolts on the head. Remove water pump, the oil pump and dizzy drive spindle. Pull crank pulley. Slide forward and off the crank nose. If one of the side gaskets is leaking then the surfaces weren't clean or some crap got on there. Clean spotless!!! Use clean paper gaskets with a dab of RTV in the four corners where they meet the head and oil pan gaskets. If the oil pan gasket is torn, slice it off with a carpet knife and get a new gasket and trim to fit The dab of RTV in the corners will seal this.

I coat the entire upper surface with RTV on the L and Z front covers. You can always trim off the excess with a razor blade. Make sure you trim any excess off the inside as well! Don't want bits of silicone in the oil.

I always use a thin layer of Hylomar or Permatex Aviation. Both are used by the VW guys a bunch for case sealing. I like Hylomar because it isn't water or gasoline soluble and was origionally designed by RR for sealing up jet engines. You can get a tube of the stuff at pep boys, and you can probably seal half of the vehicles in your block water tight with it. I have yet to have a leak using the stuff. But be forwarned. Once it's there, it's there. There is no moving the thing around if you forget something and have to take the cover off. Unless of course you have another set of gaskets.

• 11 months later...

Y--e--s, but it will pull the drive gear and oil slinger off the crank with it. That's if they will slide off the woodruff keys. Good luck getting it back on in the same timing position. Much better and easier in the long run to dismantle properly.

• 4 weeks later...