Newb to datsun scene need help on my 710

Hello710

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, whats wrong with the L20? If its bad, smoking, knocking, etc. etc, then I would swap to the KA24DE. Otherwise, run the crap out of the L20 and start your build, your way. Then do the swap at your convenience...

Oh, yeah, pics please...

Five speeds aren't really quicker but they have an over drive to reduce high speed RPMs. 4th gear would out accelerate it anyway. Some 5 speeds have a lower 1st and 2nd for take offs but the lower they are the larger the RPM drop between shifts. If you want more go, find the differential from a '74 710. (has to be with an L18 automatic) These H-165-B differentials came with 4:11 gears versus the 3.889 in the standard tranny of the same year. All L20B motor 710s after '74 used the 3.70 rear ratio. Going from 3.70 to 4.11 would be a major increase in 'head snapping' shifts. :lol:

Lowering the gear ratio in the differential will reduce mileage, although installing an over drive 5 speed would recoup some of this.

If the L20B is a good runner, why not make sure the carburetion and ignition are in good order? I would go for a Weber and Electronic Ignition, and see if you can outrun the bicycle then... :)

BTW, nice looking car! I want more shots from the front end (I haven't seen that grille before...)

what year is it ? before you go hog wild on it remember your in cali and if its a 76 or newer you have to smog it that said looks like a clean car i like it i personally would remove the the rubber strip along the body thats to prevent shopping cart damage and if there is no smog throw a weber and a header on it open up the exhaust to 2 1/4 with a magnaflow on the end of it

this is what it will sound like and it is a considerable improvment over stock im also running a matchbox dizzy

alright guys well here are the rest of the pics i have.give me opinions on what i should do??thanks:)

022510125703.jpg

This grille is awesome. FTW, I love the look

As for the headlights - yeah...the outers need the real deal, not foglights. A simple check of volts at each headlight will be a good indicator if they are dim. Ground each separately; they run to one (usually corroded) ground lug.

Good runner if the engine is strong. Check compression, and get the Electronic Distributor (beings that it is a '77, it will have the remote transistorized ignition, but it has its faults). Get the Matchbox Distributor, and gap the plugs to .044, and find a shop that will "handle your smog needs"...

Clean 710, looking forward to watching this one get built!