Newb to datsun scene need help on my 710

Hello710

VG30's came in first and second gen 300zx's, some late 80's 200sx's, some SUV/Trucks

Nissan V6 single or dual cam...... N/A, turbo, and TT avail...

Any motor swap will require lots of money and/or fabrication skills...

You can get good power out of a L20 with some carbs and a header....

A VG30 I believe would still be a front sump oil pan,,,,,, There are a couple problems with that for a 710 swap:

(1) My 710 crossmember was flipped,,, AND the motor mounts were moved back at least an inch,,,, or else the steering link hits the bellhousing of the KA24DE trans.

(2) The T/C rod mounts that bolt onto the frame rails make it impossible to find a sway bar that will fit,,, .. DGR 510 Bar:

71089.JPG

I'm just warning you that it is not as easy as a 510 swap........ Everything has to be custom.......

Not to Mention: the wiring, Fuel pump, Transmission mount, shortened drive shaft, radiator, intake, electric fans, etc.

And I don't know if you need to smog your car,,,, ... A L20 will be WAY cheaper,,, .. unless you have some really good fabrication skills

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i have the dual carbs but i dont know were to buy the filters for them??and where could i get some headers?

It depends on which air filter assembly you have. The "typical" air filters can be sourced from a Datsun Roadster.

Or, you can go for something like what I did: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/5294-su-air-cleaners-for-a-ratsun-price/

Headers? You can do one of two things: 1) plug all of the smog ports in your existing cast iron manifold. Cheap solution for a manifold that is actually real nice. 2) spend some money and go through Top End Performance (http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html) They have the shorty header for $159...

oh really?thanks for the info man.that write up helps alot hopefully ill be able to do this soon.should i get the dual carbs from a 280zx?i heard theyre bigger and can fit the L20??

The carbs you mean (I think) are the 46mm from a 240Z. Yeah, they work, but I feel that they dump a lot of fuel for a 2.0, versus the 2.4 they were designed for. But I've seen them run in person. SublimeDatsun610 has a set on his L20B. IMHO, you should look for the 38mm carbs, they were built for the smaller motor like the L-Series 4 cylinders. You will need to fab the linkage to open them correctly (The 46mm Z carbs open the opposite way of the smaller 38mm carbs)

Here is some theory behind the 38mm versus 46mm carburetor debate: http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/su/zsus.html#anchor124873#anchor124873

Hope this all helps...

lets say i wanted to smoke a civic or two?whatshould i do?you know just incasetongue.gif

I understand your want to smoke a Civic or two, but, I have found that I am happy to smoke them with sheer looks. Any ricer can pick up a Civic, put 5K in it, and feel like they accomplished something. You have a piece of Classic Japanese Tin, something to be restored your way, not according to what some JDM shop owner suggests (to fatten their pockets). As for what I would do...hmmm...I would start with something better in the carburetion department. Sidedraft Mikunis or at a minimum a 32/36 Weber will wake up any L20B. Ignition upgrade to the "Matchbox" distributor so you can run a hotter spark. And check the exhaust. If you are running a stock exhaust manifold, then you can close up all the ports and run it, or go for the header. There is such a large aftermarket base for the old Datsun that any combination you choose will have been tested and commented on in this forum.

start with a weber and a header with the matchbox distributor this is what i did as well as a 2 1/4 exhaust system and it was a night and day difference over stock i cant wait till i can try a cam and better carbs

I understand your want to smoke a Civic or two, but, I have found that I am happy to smoke them with sheer looks. Any ricer can pick up a Civic, put 5K in it, and feel like they accomplished something. You have a piece of Classic Japanese Tin, something to be restored your way, not according to what some JDM shop owner suggests (to fatten their pockets). As for what I would do...hmmm...I would start with something better in the carburetion department. Sidedraft Mikunis or at a minimum a 32/36 Weber will wake up any L20B. Ignition upgrade to the "Matchbox" distributor so you can run a hotter spark. And check the exhaust. If you are running a stock exhaust manifold, then you can close up all the ports and run it, or go for the header. There is such a large aftermarket base for the old Datsun that any combination you choose will have been tested and commented on in this forum.

you are truly right.that really felt deep man.

start with a weber and a header with the matchbox distributor this is what i did as well as a 2 1/4 exhaust system and it was a night and day difference over stock i cant wait till i can try a cam and better carbs

alright time to save up money then haha