Air compressor?

paint  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I paint or have macco or earl shibe?

• macco
    • earl shibe
    • myself

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the harbor freight stuff is usually not top quality, for home use it should work, but

it will not run the gun your looking at...

ya I just thought it would be alright because its not an oil less model, probably last longer. Plus I can use a 20% off coupon :P

Why wont it run that gun? will it run A gun?

too old school?

If they can plug it in and run it, might be worth looking at. Take a look at the oil in the compressor crank case. Open the drain valve on the bottom of the air tank, see what comes out. If its not all rusty have them fire it up. Take a pressure gauge and a die grinder with you and run that thing. If it'll run for 1/2 hr and doesn't sound too bad take it home and build a guard for that belt.

Explain please. Power is power is power. Plus, the higher the voltage, the less current that is needed for the same amount of power, resulting in less parasitic loss from wire resistance turning your current into heat.

Matt I'm just going to hope and assume you just don't know instead of breaking my balls yet again lol. A 3 phase 220 compressor motor uses less power then a single phase 220 motor. The motors are also usually lighter and last longer. The wiring is lighter gauge. There are a few types of 3 phase as well. Common 3 wire, common 4 wire, special 4 wire, 3 wire with grounded hot etc....

Think of 110/220 single phase as spinning a wheel with your hand, one big spin at a time. Three phase would be 3 hands spinning that wheel in tandem so that each needs to work much less.

Power is not power man, thats a silly thing to say. How it's used is just as important as how much of it there it.

Agreed, although you may also consider getting a smaller main tank and daisy chaining additional tank(s) as to keep your compressor more mobile and cheaper. My compressor only has a 15gal tank, but I got a free 15gal tank from a dead oil-less (aka crap) compressor and put it inline to my main, which keeps my main easy to move for the times I've had to take it somewhere. There are dead compressors for dirt cheap or free all the time on craigslist...free air tanks!

Also, I've found that running a good synthetic oil cuts way down on heat and noise (in other words, increases the efficiency) of the compressor.

Another note, be careful adding extra tanks to compressors. You double or triple the volume and now the compressor has to run that much longer and harder to not only fill them but keep them filled. For a diyer it doesn't matter as much because the compressor doesn't get beat on but in a long used (commercial/industrial)environment your seriously cutting the life of the motor. Yes you can change the oils and maintain it well to offset it some but nothing changes the physics of the situation. Even doing it at home is detrimental to the motor, just to a lesser extent.

Dude, no. Just say no to harbor freight power tools. Plus, the air delivery rate on that compressor sucks ass. Look on craigslist!

I agree 100% saying no to harbor freight power tools. ESPECIALLY compressors. WTF good is the great price if the compressor lasts you a month? They should sell those things in 6 packs.

A used quality brand is just a way better option.

Matt I'm just going to hope and assume you just don't know instead of breaking my balls yet again lol. A 3 phase 220 compressor motor uses less power then a single phase 220 motor. The motors are also usually lighter and last longer. The wiring is lighter gauge. There are a few types of 3 phase as well. Common 3 wire, common 4 wire, special 4 wire, 3 wire with grounded hot etc....

Think of 110/220 single phase as spinning a wheel with your hand, one big spin at a time. Three phase would be 3 hands spinning that wheel in tandem so that each needs to work much less.

Power is not power man, thats a silly thing to say. How it's used is just as important as how much of it there it.

Another note, be careful adding extra tanks to compressors. You double or triple the volume and now the compressor has to run that much longer and harder to not only fill them but keep them filled. For a diyer it doesn't matter as much because the compressor doesn't get beat on but in a long used (commercial/industrial)environment your seriously cutting the life of the motor. Yes you can change the oils and maintain it well to offset it some but nothing changes the physics of the situation. Even doing it at home is detrimental to the motor, just to a lesser extent.

I agree 100% saying no to harbor freight power tools. ESPECIALLY compressors. WTF good is the great price if the compressor lasts you a month? They should sell those things in 6 packs.

How is it a silly thing to say? Power is power. A watt is a watt, whether it's 15A @ 110v or 7.5A @ 220v. You'll get it all the time when dealing with audio gear - 1000w at a 4ohm load is the same as 1000w at a 2ohm load. Yes, current and voltage will change, but the power output is still the same. You just basically said the same thing about going from 1 phase to 3 phase as I did about going 110 to 220 :P - smaller, more efficient wiring. How does having 3 hands reduce the NET work done versus the single hand? Both are doing the same amount of work. And I disagree about running the motor a long time. As long as the motor is not overheating, running a motor continuously is better for it than constantly starting and stopping it.

Yes, I will secede that 3 phase motors are inherently better, but modern split phase motors can be just about as efficient in terms of power draw, they just might not have the other benefits like running smoother or with as much torque.

Oh, and don't think I'm pissed or anything, this is a good topic ;)

On power I'll agree to disagree since we seem to agree on the imp stuff anyway lol. I don't want to do another splitting hairs thing :)

I'm negative but for pos reasons, every time it's to offer advice from my experience and point of view to help a fellow ratsuner out. I just don't have the patience to pad it out of sandwich it in compliments lol. If everything was all positive comments I think people (even/esp me) would learn or realize way less.

Theres also a problem with the lack of tone on the internet. I'm a long haired, hippie (all be it east coast), pot head, even when I'm arguing over some nonsense I'm sitting here with a smile or some shit, not shaking my fist at the screen lol. I'm never hating either I just think flaws should be addressed as much as positive attributes, for improvement and all that..... If I have a bugger in my nose by all means tell me :lol:

Here is an idea I use at my home. I have an old Craftsman Air compressor, 3 hp I think.

I also have a second tank, and both the compressor, and second tank are 20 gallon.

When I am painting with a HVLP gun, I fill the second tank off the regulated air out on the compressor, at about 40 PSI or so. The compressor tank runs about 90 to 120 PSI.

Now for a quick science lesson.

When you drop the pressure on a gas, it expands, and cools down.

By doing this, my 3 hp compressor has no problem keeping up with the HVLP spray gun. A second advantage, any water in the air line just falls to the bottom of the second tank, and never makes it to the gun.

Three phase motors are more efficient than single phase. Here it why. With single phase AC voltage, you have zero voltage each time the polarity changes, 120 times a second. With three phase power, if one phase is at zero voltage, the other two phases are not.

You will find three phase power in industry for this very reason.

However, you need three phase power supplied to be able to use it. Most residential neighborhoods do not.

The alternator in your car makes three phase power. That is why an alternator is able to charge a battery at a lower RPM than a generator.

How can you disagree? :lol: If you just mean for the sake of wiring efficiency/losses, then okay, but then I would say modern motors are at least decent enough that it's negligible for this purpose, and especially considering what it would take/cost to get three phase into your home :P

Danielc summed it up but I have to agree with availability. Idk if it's because I live in the city but it's pretty common here. Annoyingly enough though I don't even have 220 in my home. You prob won't believe it but the p/o retard ran multi 110's so he could do the work without a permit. Then when he portioned off the 2nd floor to rent he had a electrician install 220 to a separate box. It's really half assed and annoying to me. There are even 220 outlets around the house, I assume from before he got his hands on it.... it's like a smack in the face.

I'm going to pull some ninja shit on the renters box one of these days...... for welding purposes :ph34r: lmao

I hate to sound like a negative nancy, but, "A maaco paint job would be cheaper"

I have spent $100 for a gal. of basecoat + $100 a gal. for clear coat. -- $65 gal. for catylized 2 part Primer

Shit's expensive..... Sand paper aint free either...... or a power sander + grinder

It's okay if you love to work on your truck............. But I hate breathing dust and fumes.....

Do you have a good respirator?.. . One for sanding?.. . and another one for painting?

I hate to sound like a negative nancy, but, "A maaco paint job would be cheaper"

I have spent $100 for a gal. of basecoat + $100 a gal. for clear coat. -- $65 gal. for catylized 2 part Primer

Shit's expensive..... Sand paper aint free either...... or a power sander + grinder

It's okay if you love to work on your truck............. But I hate breathing dust and fumes.....

Do you have a good respirator?.. . One for sanding?.. . and another one for painting?

I dont have a respirator but I will get one, also you are right it is more expensive than macco, but after I paint a couple cars It will be the cheapest route plus I will develope life skills and It will make me that much closer to my truck.

im tottaly for do it yourself i been doing it, hate it but doing it...i say macco this one like planed then start picking up tools and supplies and buy the time your ready for next paint youll have everything and probably even practiced on a hood or two...its not hard and you dont need a bunch o fancy tools....i like to stick to my plans or i get all overran and dont know what the hecks going on....shoulda wore resperator first couple paint jobs.lol anyway sic goodluck eitherway you do it.....buy the way my paint gun was found in a scrap pile yrs ago and woorks great just keep um clean......

I dont have a respirator

I use the same respirator for painting and sanding..... just read what they filter... some are for asbestos, some for dust, some for paint and chemicals.... you want one for painting and a couple replacement filters

It will make me that much closer to my truck.

Ha ha ... I am so close to my 510,,, so close I hate her :lol: ..... seriously.....

Getting another Datsun was the best thing I ever did...... but now I have two project cars, and don't get anything done