Air compressor?

paint  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I paint or have macco or earl shibe?

• macco
    • earl shibe
    • myself

I will be painting my truck shortly. I am doing it on the cheap and I need to buy a air compressor. What size air compressor do I need? How much HP is needed? how many gallons? Do different tanks blow at different pressure? Remember I'm doing this on the cheap!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather buy a single better quality 60-100 dollar gun then a kit that just throws stuff in to pad it. Also consider renting a larger compressor just for the paint job. It's cheaper and easier then buying a sub par one and have to elbow grease out the difference. My .02

ya, thats true.....

one thing to keep in mind if you plan on buying a compressor, is that air tools like die grinders

and other air motors use lots of air, so a small compressor like that one will not keep up, so you have to keep

stopping all the time..... ask me how I know.... if you want to run air tools you'll need a bigger compressor.

I sometimes add my autoX air tank in line with my compressor for a bigger tank, just takes longer to catch up.

if you don't want to buy another air compressor go buy one that is a 220v, 5 hp motor, 60 gallon tank. not one of those 5 hp motors that you don't have to change the oil, total junk and a waste of money. I've had mine for over 25 years and it's been the best investment, you just got to remember to change the oil as the manufacture recommends and change or blow out the filters every summer.

Ya and be careful with 220, single phase will turn your meter like mad.

Explain please. Power is power is power. Plus, the higher the voltage, the less current that is needed for the same amount of power, resulting in less parasitic loss from wire resistance turning your current into heat.

Another thing - a 110v, 15 amp circuit equates to less than 2.5HP, so you can easily weed out any 110v compressors that say they are 2.5HP or more. I like the style of compressor (belt driven, oiled compressor, 2 piston) that greybeard linked and you can find them fairly cheap used. Mine is an older sears model that does something like 14CFM @ 90psi, 220v unit. I paid $180 for it.

if you don't want to buy another air compressor go buy one that is a 220v, 5 hp motor, 60 gallon tank. not one of those 5 hp motors that you don't have to change the oil, total junk and a waste of money. I've had mine for over 25 years and it's been the best investment, you just got to remember to change the oil as the manufacture recommends and change or blow out the filters every summer.

Agreed, although you may also consider getting a smaller main tank and daisy chaining additional tank(s) as to keep your compressor more mobile and cheaper. My compressor only has a 15gal tank, but I got a free 15gal tank from a dead oil-less (aka crap) compressor and put it inline to my main, which keeps my main easy to move for the times I've had to take it somewhere. There are dead compressors for dirt cheap or free all the time on craigslist...free air tanks!

Also, I've found that running a good synthetic oil cuts way down on heat and noise (in other words, increases the efficiency) of the compressor.

That looks like it might be a pretty good deal for a starter set. It is made by Campbell Hausfeld,and it comes with 2 pressure regulators. I have an old CH suction feed gun that I have used with good results. It is now my primer gun though since I got my DeVilbiss HVLP gun (cost about 3x what that set costs). They both will lay down a nice finish, but the DeVilbiss is easier to tune. Since this is your first paint job, no matter what gun you buy you should buy extra paint and do some test panels first. Most paint shops will have some mis-tinted paint laying around for cheap. That way you can get a feel for the gun without screwing up your truck if you don't spray perfectly on the first try. Having to sand off new paint SUX!!!!

Spending $400+ on a compressor is not a cheap way to paint your car.

That's true , but EVERY Ratsuner needs an air compressor