Tips on how to clean engine parts????

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering what do you guys use to clean your engine parts, to get rid of all the oil. I've notice that when people put parts for sale on this forum they are super clean, do you guys use a sandblaster???

I usually use some really nasty cleaners :P break cleaner dose wonders on engine block grease, other than that just lots of rags, scrub pads, and elbow grease.

you can also give this a try....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18455-how-to-build-a-cheap-soda-blaster/

Exactly! All of the above. Actually what i do is put the block and head in the back of my truck on a tire, head down to the local car wash and then power wash the block. Come straight home and wipe the inside out to try and prevent any rust or flash rust. Then SOS pads on the outside, or engine bright, or hot water + dawn dish soap and a scotch bright dish scrub pad do wonders also. On smaller pieces i just use brake cleaner and a rag or again a bucket of warm/hot water and dawn dish soap.

Another thing that works great is oven cleaner. On aluminum pieces you cant let it sit for more than a minute maybe two tops then wash off. But it works great on the block also.

I use high test gasoline, power purple(both weed and soap lol), dish soap, media blaster i.e. soda, nut shell, sand...., brake clean, carb cleaner, thinner, wire wheels, wire brushes, tooth brushes......

God I'm tired of cleaning parts lol.

Basically it boils down to nasty caustic chemicals, or hard work.

I also use a pressure washer, and try to clean up as much as I can before I start. Example, pressure wash the engine bay before even pulling the engine out. Pressure wash the engine again, after removal.

I also have a tub type parts washer, with paint thinner in it. Yes, it is flammable, be careful.

I also use carburettor cleaner on smaller parts.

but it still gets down to hard, dirty work.

foamy engine bright with a preassure washer then brake clean the beautiful thing is that once its cleaned sealed and painted you dont hvae to worry about leaks making it dirty and once its painted any leaks are easy to spot