H190 axles snapping!!!!

fiveoneohray

Ok so anyone reading this thread have a 521 complete axle for sale?

Dude we are always like a week off haha I saved the axle from the bagged truck. A friend ended up needing it a week ago, I let it go for free to :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The subaru diff is totally different.

Ok so I picked up a pair of axles and they are completely different. The bearing at the end is a tapered needle bearing and the 510 wagon bearings are sealed cartridge with a press on ring to keep them on.

When I get some time I will take the truck axle bearings off and see if it can be machined to accept the wagon bearings. It may take a bit so if you are interested, it may take a little time.

Subaru diffs fit 510s (with some mods). 510s (except wagons) have an R160 diff, used on independant rear suspension (IRS). Subarus also used an R160, with differences in how the halfshafts attached. 510 wagons, and all Datsun trucks from the mid 60s through the mid 80s used H190 diffs, which are used on live-axle rear ends. Very different beasts.

I just priced out haveing one axle shortened at a Dutchman Tool in Portland. It comes out to $55.00 for 1 axle shaft. That was a Dana 60 with 31 spline axle.

I would think that if a person wanted a tuff wagon rearend that a narrowed PU rear would be sweet.

How about a Ford 8.8. The Exploders had factory discs after '94.

Jester

EDIT: BTW Thanks for the answer on the Subi rear. I figured it was a 510 thing.

• 1 year later...

Bump, don't mind me...

I figured I'd bring this thread back from the dead because I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to swap over to something new...

When the 'goon hit the roads, it had stock H190, 2.5" lowering blocks, axle wrap out the wazzoo, and a welded diff. I broke TWO axle shafts (at different times) before swapping the whole thing back to an open diff.

The suspension is being finished up in a few months (Caltrac Traction Bars and a Panhard or Watts Link), and I'll be ready for TWO wheels spinning again...

Plan is to go back to welded. I know, not the BEST way of going about things, but it's better than the elusive Roadster LSD (plus, servicing those is harder and harder these days...). I'd LIKE to use a true LSD, but almost everything requires shortening the axle, shafts, modifying perches, drilling to 4 lug, etc... The cost is too much for me!

I DO, however, have my brother's 521 axle sitting around that he won't be using... Reading through this gave me a MURKY understanding that using the 521 H190 gives a beefier axle, but may need to be shortened/re-drilled to 4 lug... Any clarification?

I know that the RX-7 axle is all the rage right now, but it's a decent chunk of change I don't have to do all the custom work it requires...

I've read that the Ford 8.8" could very well work for me, but I never saw the finished project (the510realm).. EDIT: it was Foomanchu.. I PM'd him. To clarify, he used a Mustang axle for gearing/housing, and shorter Explorer shafts. They have the same spline, and are 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Any TRUE BUDGET swaps?

I have a feeling that stock wagon axle/shafts, PLUS welded diff, PLUS traction bars (reducing axle wrap, therefor reducing stress on axle shafts and just breaking traction at wheels instead, much like a 240sx would) would be fine, but I'd like the LSD potential, as well as disk brake opportunities...

HALP!! I is over mah headz...

Edited by WagDatto
  • 1 year later...