i need input!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rude?!? What!?! You must not have been into Datsuns for very long.....because EVERYONE does this ALL the time. We even stop by just to say hi even if we don't want to buy it. We Datsuners are stalkers, we'll follow someone home just to look at their car. So heck yes, ask him if he wants to sell it.

Hell no. I sold my 98 Riviera like that earlier this year. Someone just came up and knocked on the door, offered me over bluebook, I didnt even really want to sell it, but i had already wrecked it twice (which i told them) and was about to drop about $900 that day on it, ( which i also told them)... The buyer didn't care. Though they did lie about their identities.. and the car was involved in a burglary a couple of nights later...

Then some random guy came to my house while the v8Z was being built and wanted to pay me to go get the car out of impound... He could not comprehend that i had released liability with the DMV, and no matter how much he would pay me, I would not be able to get the car for him. He got all huffy when i opened my tool box and had to move the gun over to get to my torque wrench.

What were we talking about?

Joe

Umm, yeah, I think JoeinCa had some isolated incidences. In all the years I've been doing this I've never had a problem.

People usually answer the door with a "wtf-are-u-doing-here" kind of tone, but once you mention the magic word "datsun" they get all friendly.

Rude?!? What!?! You must not have been into Datsuns for very long.....because EVERYONE does this ALL the time. We even stop by just to say hi even if we don't want to buy it. We Datsuners are stalkers, we'll follow someone home just to look at their car. So heck yes, ask him if he wants to sell it.

So true!!! I know where all datsuns are parked with in a mile radius of my apartment. I even know where to find them if their not in their usual spots. (mainly cause parking sucks so I drive around constantly)

so i was wondering do u guys think its rude to ask someone if theyre truck is for sale in front of theyre house? cuz this guy has a 620 up the street from me and i kinda think its rude to ask someone if they wanted to sell it but its been sitting there for years just wanted to know wat u guys think

It's considered a compliment. (unless it's for a parts car)

i got one of mine this way... for $300. perfectly fine, straight 1985 720 for $300 haha! Stupid crackhead needed a fix. I needed to rescue his poor truck. my other one just walked up to me at work. we installed a deck and cleaned up some wiring for this sweet 521. I asked him all about it and finally he broke down and told me he had another one at home. I asked what he wanted for it and IMMEDIATELY pulled the $200 out of my wallet.

$300 for a running 720...

$200 for a project 521...

I think it's perfectly courteous to ask!!! GO FOR IT!

-madison

Always ask.

I got an '80 or '81 200sx for $50. Front struts, center E brake and rear disc went to a Realm member, the rear disc brake brackets, block I have, sold the 6" rods and flattops, kept the 50 amp alt., and matchbox, the rad and 5spd. are in my truck, brake booster and all EFI I kept. Gave the 200mm flywheel to 510_freak and some trim and ignition parts went to Florida.

Got a running '85 olds wagon for parts for my son for asking.

Got a 620 (- motor) for parts for asking.

Two Super Digger V tires for my truck only 1/4-1/3 worn just for asking.

I would only find it rude to be knocking on doors if you dont have the money to pay an acceptable price for the item you are asking about. His idea of acceptable and your idea might be different though, but knocking on the door with no money to spend is not acceptable to me.

I do it every so often. Usually its just to see if it is and cheap. I don't bother if I have no real intention of buying it. Rarely had it turn sketchy.

I've had it work out well, a lot of times when you have a lead and it fizzles go back a few weeks or months later and check again. Things change. I went back for a 510 wagon after the guy wanted $500 for a non-running no title wagon, a few months later talked to a different guy and got it for $50.

Might do it again this weekend. I walked up to this guy's door asking about an 82 Starlet in his yard. he said he was interested in selling, long story short, he died and the deal fizzled. Swung by there recently to see what ever happened to it and lo and behold it's still sitting. Talked to his son and it might be for sale and possibly had for cheaper than the original deal! (I hope.. still waiting to hear back..)

You just never know how it's going to work out but definitely be careful about it. Some people aren't too friendly about that stuff (depends on where you live).

"Hi, sorry to bother you but I was just wondering if that car is for sale?" "no? alright, thank you" That's my usual routine.

There's an old 620 in town. Never seen it on the road, but it has current plates so I went in. The girl said it was her father's and showed me downstairs to his apt. He had had cancer and talked with one of those buzzer things that you hold to your neck. Hell of a sense of humor that guy, we talked for over half an hour kidding around and listening to stories of 'the old days'. I guess he doesn't use it much but wouldn't sell it because it was his way of being independent. He knew that if he really wanted he could go out and it was there ready to take him wherever he wanted. I said would you leave it to me in your will? He thought that was hilarious. When I left he took my phone number. :lol:

I went back one more time about a year later to talk but not since, that was 3-4 years ago now. Haven't seen the truck at the house for a year or more. :mellow: