How does this stuff stay together?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... that's a high revving engine... love to have on in the Datsun... :D

IIRC, Ford made a prototype in the 50's or 60's that had a jet engine or something in it... I think it spun a driveshaft through a turbine or something... A few of them were apparently given to families to check the possibility of making it a daily driver... apparently people were scared off by the 15,000+ rpms the engine was pulling...

Then again, I could be full of crap, and it never really happened... sounds like something they'd try in the 60's though...

Chrysler made a few prototype turbine cars, some still run. Rough on gas when idling.

* 130 horsepower at 3,600 rpm (output shaft speed); 425 lb-ft of torque at zero rpm!

* Weight: 410 lb - 25 inches long, 25.5 inches wide, 27.5 inches tall (without accessories, which make the overall length 35 inches).

* Fuel requirements: what've you got? diesel, unleaded gas, kerosene, JP-4, others. No adjustments needed to switch from one to the other.

* Compressor: centrifugal, single-stage compressor with 4:1 pressure ratio, 80% efficiency, 2.2 lb/sec air flow

* First stage turbine: axial, single-stage, 87% efficiency, inlet temperature 1,700 degrees F.

* Second-stage turbine: axial, single-stage, 84% efficiency, max speed 45,700 rpm

* Regenerator: dual rotating disks, 90% effectiveness, 22 rpm max speed

* Burner: single can, reverse flow, 95% efficiency

* Maximum gas generator speed: 44,600 rpm

* Maximum output speed, after reduction gears: 4,680 rpm

* Exhaust temperature at full power: 500 degrees Farenheit.

actually its not hydraulic valves because typically having a hydraulic valvetrain doesnt allow you to rev as high than a mechanical. A few years ago I was watching speed and a camera man made a major slip up by showing the engine on the BMW's F1 engine with the valve covers off and all I saw were electronic solenoids staring me back in the face. I have also never seen a camera man get taken out by a crew chuef either though, lol. peace.

The valves are actually pneumatically actuated. This is taken out of the technical sporting regulations for the 2007 F1 season.

5.9 Engine actuators:

With the following exceptions hydraulic, pneumatic or electronic actuation is forbidden:

a) Electronic solenoids uniquely for the control of engine fluids;

B) Components providing controlled pressure air for a pneumatic valve system;

c) A single actuator to operate the throttle system of the engine.

actually its not hydraulic valves because typically having a hydraulic valvetrain doesnt allow you to rev as high than a mechanical. A few years ago I was watching speed and a camera man made a major slip up by showing the engine on the BMW's F1 engine with the valve covers off and all I saw were electronic solenoids staring me back in the face. I have also never seen a camera man get taken out by a crew chuef either though, lol. peace.

why is that bad? Is it illegal for them to run those in racing or was it just 'their little secret' ?

The G37 uses variable height solenoids... no throttle body! the valves just don't hardly open when you're at idle or normal driving. weird :mellow:

The valves are actually pneumatically actuated. This is taken out of the technical sporting regulations for the 2007 F1 season.

5.9 Engine actuators:

With the following exceptions hydraulic, pneumatic or electronic actuation is forbidden:

a) Electronic solenoids uniquely for the control of engine fluids;

B) Components providing controlled pressure air for a pneumatic valve system;

c) A single actuator to operate the throttle system of the engine.

thats probably why they looked like pneumatic solenoids, its funny they looked just like some of the ones that we use on the robots here at work. I would love to design a pneumatic valvetrain system!! peace.

2eDeYe;26915'']Decades of research and development through competition ;)

Mclarean Mercedes was fined $100 million dollars and stripped of there constructors points (which they were leading) this year because they were in posession of some stolen Ferrari technical information. The FIA also left it open to fine them some more if they find Mclareans 2008 car "leans" on any propriatary Ferrari designs. These guys dont mess around when it comes to there secrets!

can't believe nobody has mentioned the desmodronic system that ducati famously uses in its bikes. they have a cam that opens the valves, then another set of lobes that close the valves. no pneumatics, no springs, all straight mechanical. i think their GP bike turns about 18000 rpm. All year, honda tried to say that they hadn't hit their rev ceiling with valve springs yet and were going to keep using them...but the real deal was that they hadn't come up with a pneumatic system that worked right yet. I'm pretty sure they are going pnuematic for 08, and so is yamaha after hucking a couple of rossi's motors while the pneumatics were under experimentation.

yeah the Ducati technology is very old but its still limited to a fixed rate and travel of opening and closing. The way they run F1 engines nowadays would probably scare you; everything is measured, weighed, sonic tested, and I am sure tuning is way beyond any of our thought processes.

Anybody know why Honda has been having alot of trouble keeping motors together in the racing circuit? It was a few years ago now when I was watching the f1 series and v10's were being phased out completely or something like that and Honda was just spitting guts out every race.

Anybody know why Honda has been having alot of trouble keeping motors together in the racing circuit? It was a few years ago now when I was watching the f1 series and v10's were being phased out completely or something like that and Honda was just spitting guts out every race.

Well here's a Honda V 10

A few years ago when 3L v-10's were legal Honda was just getting into the sport. A lot of the others had been there for years and had a much more established engine program. I would dare to say building a reliable engine to spin to 20000 RPM's making at that time 990+ Hp dosent exactly happen overnight. Sure made for some great let gos with lots of smoke though!