God is angry with me...

Dudeman

...or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for the nightmare that changing my tie rods has become.

I recently did the V6 HB brake swap on my '79 620 and it went smoothly until I tried to install my new Moog tie rods. Long story short they don't fit in either HB spindle, or the stock 620 idler/pitman arm and no amount of heat, c-clamps, or hammering will make them go in. When i finally did get a half inch of threads exposed the nut and threaded shaft both stripped very badly without much force (didn't even get a torque wrench on it). I looked up the part numbers and Moog says they fit 1968-1979 datsun pickups, which is strange because of the front end redesign in '78. I know people have done exactly what I'm doing now, did anyone else experience anything similar, or use a different brand of tie rod that worked? Should I try 1980 720 tie rods? The truck is at my parents house in Marysville while I'm at school in Bellingham, and with each passing weekend they get grumpier and grumpier about having the truck there, and I miss driving my Datsun more and more.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers input

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the dude abides...... Sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

Did you check thread, pitch, diameter? Since I don't know the flat out answer thats where I would start but maybe someone else just knows whats up right off the bat.

I have not checked the threads on the tie rods onmy 521 pickups, but all the threads on the body are an American thread pitch. Fender bolts, 1/4 x 28, bolts that hols front bumper brackets, 5/16 x x 24. My understanding is that the 620 pickups were all metric.

I suspect that although the taper on the tie rod end will fit, the thread pitch may be different. When you get new tie rod ends, get the nuts to fit them. Do not assume your old nuts will fit.

The issue is not at all with the threads. The tie rods came with nuts that fit fine, but the tapered, non-threaded shaft is too large to fit in the steering knuckle, idler arm or pitman arm, and thus does not expose any thread at all. With a torch, light filing, and a hammer I finally did get some exposed thread, but that's when the threads stripped, but only because I was trying to fit the shaft into a hole that it wouldn't fit in (lol... :mellow:) Rockauto, Car Quest, NAPA, and Schmucks all list the same Moog part number as correct for Datsun trucks 68-79, but I suspect that Moog is incorrect, and that ball joint trucks require different tie rods. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar, or knows of a manufacturer whose tie rods definitely will work on a '79.

Thank you all again, and MARK IT ZERO!!!!!!!

Right Hand (pass side) '78 up side rod, connects the steering knuckle to the idler arm:

Nissan # 48510 B9525

Left Hand '78 and up side rod, connects the stering knuckle to the pitman arm:

Nissan # 48630 B9525

Pretty sure the 720s are different (shorter length)

Hmmm, according to Mike's info the parts are the same through '79. I was hoping not to have to enlarge the steering knuckle or idler/pitman arm but I guess I don't have a choice. I've already had to do way more than I should to get them to fit, but the Datsun needs to get done and I'm outta money. Oh well, just another one of the joys of working on classic vehicles :D

The idler and pitman are taper fit don't fuck with that. I don't know what to say. Wrong parts in the box???

BTW the alternate Nissan number indicates it WILL fit earlier pre '77 620 trucks and prob the 521. (didn't check that)

You simply got some parts that were boxed wrong or made wrong.

The 79 and earlier 620 parts interchange just fine. And the early 620, late 620, 720, and hardbody all share the same dimensions at the tapered part of the tie rod anyways.

Try a different brand.

Hmmm, according to Mike's info the parts are the same through '79. I was hoping not to have to enlarge the steering knuckle or idler/pitman arm but I guess I don't have a choice. I've already had to do way more than I should to get them to fit, but the Datsun needs to get done and I'm outta money. Oh well, just another one of the joys of working on classic vehicles :D

The idler and pitman are taper fit don't fuck with that. I don't know what to say. Wrong parts in the box???

BTW the alternate Nissan number indicates it WILL fit earlier pre '77 620 trucks and prob the 521. (didn't check that)

I agree with Mike's comment, that precise part is where your life depends on in a curve or whatever, is just like putting some duct tape to a brake line that has leaks. If something happens then, your family will be angry with god because of an accident.