What color for my car and bay?

So Im trying to decide on a color to paint my datsun510 2 door. im doing a vg30 swap and can decide. i want to paint my engine bay also. my dad said that the most "nice" datsuns have the same color engine bay as the car. is that true? he also told me that the datsuns were originally painted with a paint without metalic in it. i forgot the name of the paint. i would like to paint my car and engine a dark lime green. my car is stock green currently. any suggestions? :unsure:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Im trying to decide on a color to paint my datsun510 2 door. im doing a vg30 swap and can decide. i want to paint my engine bay also. my dad said that the most "nice" datsuns have the same color engine bay as the car. is that true? he also told me that the datsuns were originally painted with a paint without metalic in it. i forgot the name of the paint. i would like to paint my car and engine a dark lime green. my car is stock green currently. any suggestions? :unsure:

My Dart was a 'Performance' color option called Sublime. (extra $30) I later repainted it 'Sassy-Grass Green' which was a few shades darker and I liked it better. With all lighter lime colors, it works best with some black accents. I had the flat black hood option, black vinyl roof and black stripes on the trunk. Here is a picture of exactly what it looked like except it had Rally rims and white letter Pollyglass tires. Sassy-Grass would be darker.

p164550_large+1970_Dodge_Dart_Swinger+Front_Drivers_Side_View.jpg

I really prefer solid colors on a 510. I personally am a sucker for white cars, but I think that any color of the lighter variety looks good. I don't like colors that shout at you on street cars, but that is just me. For engine bay colors, either body color or gray is what I go for, flat black and the like just don't do it for me.

Dude, that green that's already on your car is sweet. Don't change the color, that color is awesome.

Of all my Datsuns, I've only gotten 2 that were re-painted a different color. I'm currently in the process of sanding to RE-paint my 4-door the factory yellow, and the other 4-door, I just hang my head in shame at the orange monstrosity that was birthed from the same paint job that you have.

Leave it, and if anything, find the paint code for your car and re-paint it the same color. It's friggin' dope.

I agree that the engine compartment should match the rest of the car. It just looks better IMO.

I went with Porsche Mexico blue for my VG swap. We did paint the engine compartment and the car will get painted to match at some point.

IMG00005-20091120-1447.jpg

If you plan on relocating the battery, take the time to remove and smooth out the inner fender where the battery was too. It will look much more finished.

4156183180_8905aaf8f1.jpg

Before:

My_VG30_Engine_Swap_11-09-08_005.jpg

During:

Engine_Compartment_Prep_002.jpg

After:

Painted_Engine_Compartment_002.jpg

Notice the indentation on this blue car.

P1010030.JPG

Smooth and Finished.

9040_Engine_Cropped_small.jpg

P1010035.JPG

my dad said that the most "nice" datsuns have the same color engine bay as the car. is that true?

Yes. They all came from the factory that way.

he also told me that the datsuns were originally painted with a paint without metalic in it. i forgot the name of the paint.
Most Datsuns did not have metallic paint, just an acrylic enamel. However Datsun did offer metallic paint at least by the early 1970s. I haven't seen too many.