Y44 V-8

OK you guys,

This is on the Central Coast of CA.

I have this Y-44 V-8 under my bench, it's totaly complete just missing an A/C compressor, (looks like it was an old York type)

I've had this for about 20 years, I always thought I may put it in the Truck, but thats just not gonna happen.

It will not turn over when I put a socket on the front pulley.

what I'm getting at is I want this out of my garage to make room for new projects. so...

Best offer and pick up only. by best offer I'm going to take the best off to come pick it up... PM me and let me know what it's worth to you, Cash or trade something I may be interested in?

if it comes down to I'll take it off your hands, then it will go for that.

I can get this as far south as Santa Barbara, or as far North as Santa Maria.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were within driving distance I would buy it in a second.

No kidding!!! You have a Y44 out of a Nissan president? At one time I'd dreamed of stuffing one of these is a 50's datsun. How did you come by it if you don't mind me asking?

Someone get over there!

Here is a picture of one from Hybrid Z:

Picture_0016.jpg

I would save it for my 320 :-X

This is only the 2nd one I have ever seen for sale.

I wonder how much it would take to shoehorn it in there! It'd be worth it though. Man I love the condition my 59 is in, but if I had found a basket case, I would totally have no problem forcing this thing under the hood, no matter what had to be cut! Alas I don't have the heart or desire to do it to mine. It is too nice. (I'd like to get another though, something I could cut with no regrets!)

Now, what you should have done Jay, is bought that sweet NL320 that was for sale for $700 on CL in OR last week, have the shipper drive down to Greybeards to pick up this little beast, throw it in the bed and deliver it all to you in NJ! Might have had the whole package for less than 2.5k delivered! Alas the NL320 seems to be gone now!

I Got it from one of the engine importers years ago, I was buying and selling engines through a place I worked at, had a couple of FJ20's, a couple of Toyota 18RG's, some FI L18's and an A14GX with SU's

Grabbed the Y-44 for myself.

it's just like the one in the pic. execpt mine is Nissan blue.

I Got it from one of the engine importers years ago, I was buying and selling engines through a place I worked at, had a couple of FJ20's, a couple of Toyota 18RG's, some FI L18's and an A14GX with SU's

Grabbed the Y-44 for myself.

it's just like the one in the pic. execpt mine is Nissan blue.

Nice! I wonder if an importer could still get a hold of a JDM J16 still. Not that I have the extra funds to import an engine for my 59 project when there are a million other things I need to buy before it will even pass inspection. I would like to look into it down the road though.

So was it frozen when you got it? Or is it just from sitting so long?

The motor is frozen from sitting, maybe some ATF in the plug holes and some rocking back and forth may free it up.

I checked some years ago and Nismo could order a gasket set for it. and I suppose one could get a cam ground for it that

will wake it up a bit, being from the President the motor would be tuned to be smooth and make low end torque. Block is Cast iron, heads and

intake is alum.

The importers have, for the most part, engines that are coming off the road at this time in Japan. from what I remember it had to do with the Tax and inspection system there. so our old Datsuns are long gone there as regular transpo, the people that still keep them are like us and are gearheads,

the engines we got at the time where from 10-15 year old models, so I would think things are about the same. but I haven't looked into it in years, so, I may be wrong.

I'd love to trade this for a nice 620 dash for my truck.... :lol:

I wonder how much it would take to shoehorn it in there! It'd be worth it though. Man I love the condition my 59 is in, but if I had found a basket case, I would totally have no problem forcing this thing under the hood, no matter what had to be cut! Alas I don't have the heart or desire to do it to mine. It is too nice. (I'd like to get another though, something I could cut with no regrets!)

Now, what you should have done Jay, is bought that sweet NL320 that was for sale for $700 on CL in OR last week, have the shipper drive down to Greybeards to pick up this little beast, throw it in the bed and deliver it all to you in NJ! Might have had the whole package for less than 2.5k delivered! Alas the NL320 seems to be gone now!

You wait and see what happens when I get a little coin in my pocket :-). I don't even want a driveable 320. Just the body :-X

Y44 is very heavy, and low horsepower-to-weight ratio. But I imagine it sounds real good.

I think your underestimating and downplaying the motor. It is on par with just about any domestic v8 of comparable size from the same time, better yet it has alum heads and intake where many domestic v8s were still rocking cast heads as well. That little v8 at a wimpy 9:1 comp ratio makes aprox 220hp/245tq, rocks a 4 barrel intake stock, 4 bolt mains! Has the same fire pattern as a chevy only the dizzy in in the right place like on a ford! Can be easily adapted to a L series 5 speed, which really means it can be used with a z32 or kade 5 speed as well. Compare those hp figures to say a 5.7L in the crossfire vette or hell even tpi at over a liter more displacement and they get beat. JUST bumping the comp up to 10-11:1 with mild port maybe some bigger valves and or a hotter cam is gong to yield hp/tq comparable to nissans modern dohc vh45de and knock the vh41de right out of the comp. Call me crazy but thats impressive.

Parts aren't even a big deal, you can still get gasket and timing kits new. Toyota and ford have exact match pitons from I6's and I heard whispers there was a nissan rod match as well.

I'm not raging on you or anything I'm just saying it is FAR from a very heavy low hp-2-lb motor. It is a lighter then average v8 that gives comp or beats domestic v8s (esp lb-2hp/tq ratio)of the same time and all the way up to the 80's, that have it beat by 1/5 more displacement. With work? it can even hang with the same displacement modern motors of today too.

The thing even looks pretty.

DSC02562.jpg

If I could get my hands on a core to build I would build it for my z without even having to think about it. 180 degree headers, hot cam, shaved heads for 11:1, dual gsxr itb's run on megasquirt. Call it a day :cool:

Wiki says 200 hp (150 kW) @4800 rpm and 343 N·m (253 lb·ft) @3200 rpm, I have seen TWO dyno's of supposedly stock from aus that show 220hp. There are also quite a few hbz members running the motor in their z claiming more hp stock. Maybe stated stats are FI, the ones I saw dyno sheets on were carb. Thats the prob with a wiki page, unaddressed variables. So I wouldn't call those corrections so much as your opinion based on whats at hand. I trust dynos and owners more.

Until some one weighs one no one is in a position to say its a heavy motor.

I really don't believe for a second it weighs as much as a 350ci but even if it does it still has a better then average hp/tq-2-lb ratio as it makes more hp then quite a few 350's. From what I have read to the Ford Y block 272 is lighter then the 302 winsor so if the Y44 was taking cues of fords Y series why would it weigh 50 lbs more. Doesn't add up to me. With weight I and talking short block too because with accessories god only knows the weight differences. That Y block does look like it has a crap load of stuff bolted up stock.

This argument is moot anyway, dude its a 4 bolt main 4.4 liter nissan v8 from the 60's lol, its bad ass, thats all there is really.

dude its a 4 bolt main 4.4 liter nissan v8 from the 60's lol, its bad ass, thats all there is really.

Amen! I think we can all agree to that!

Hot damn they do sound flippin sweet! (And damnit why can't i embed videos? I tried copying the 'embed' link on youtube and direct pasting it as well as using the 'media' button here on Ratsun. I had the same problem with the old forum too. :mellow: )

Hottness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fougyadQN3w

The motor is frozen from sitting, maybe some ATF in the plug holes and some rocking back and forth may free it up.

I'd love to trade this for a nice 620 dash for my truck.... :lol:

marvel mystery oil over a few days works well.

:blink: guess im on the hunt for a 620 dash ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.