vin problems

Woody620

So my 620's front end has been replaced which makes me have two vins and i am trying to get it in my name. should i get both titles or just the body vin and pop the front fender vin off or what?

does any body know what the law is on that.

i live in oregon/washington and the truck was registered in either new mexico or az, i forget.

please help me out, thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my 620's front end has been replaced which makes me have two vins and i am trying to get it in my name. should i get both titles or just the body vin and pop the front fender vin off or what?

does any body know what the law is on that.

i live in oregon/washington and the truck was registered in either new mexico or az, i forget.

please help me out, thanks.

The laws are different in different states so listing 4 locations makes it a lil hard. Pick a state then either someone will know or it can be looked up. Some are frame vin some or body etc.... Think most are frame though because it's considered a non replaceable part.

If it is anything like AZ you will have to take it to a DMV station and have it inspected. I think it is a level 3 inspection when it has two different vin's due to body part replacement . The best thing to do is go into your local DMV and ask the question you asked here on Ratsun.

This is based on buying an out of start boat and trailer.

It was way easier to get the title on the boat switched to an Oregon title, than it was to get the trailer title switched. I had to take the trailer to a DMV office, and they inspected the serial number on the trailer, and compared it to the out of state title, before reissueing a new one.

I would call Oregon DMV, and ask, and be prepared to have some hassles anyway when you actually do the title transfer.

I was going to go to dmv, but i just wanted to check on here to see what people said.

i can either register it in oregon, washington, new mexico, or arizona

previous registration was in arizona and i got the truck from the supposed owners but there was no exhisting title.

i didnt even thing about frame vin so that could be completely different too.

i just wanted to see what poeple who know these problems thought before i check with dmv.

i can register it in either or,wa, nm, or az and it was previously registered in az.

my problem is that there is no exhisting title or legal owner (to my knowledge).

and i didnt even think about frame vin so that could be completely different too.

does anybody know where the frame vin is supposed to be?

("its on the frame duh")

haha.

I would find the frame vin, and see if it matches either of the other two vin's. I bet it matches the cab pillar.

You can call the oregon DMV hotline for information like this, and you dont have to tell them who you are or give them the vin numbers. :cool: The number is 503-299-9999. Easy one to memorize too.

I have called them several times, and gotten correct info that matched exactly when i when into the dmv office.

Also, do you have any kind of bill of sale for this truck. You are going to need one--hint,hint.

oops, posted that last one twice, i guess it happens when you use phone internet.

i can get the bill of sale but the people i got it from said i wouldnt need it because there is no title because i think it was meant to go to the scrap yard.

oops, posted that last one twice, i guess it happens when you use phone internet.

i can get the bill of sale but the people i got it from said i wouldnt need it because there is no title because i think it was meant to go to the scrap yard.

So what makes you think that you are going to be able to get a title then?

OHH, and i have been told that the frame vin# is on the top of the right frame rail near the upper control arm mount. However, i have never seen any marking there, never looked real hard either.

Arizona issues titles and if you do not have title you need the title owners to sign & notorize a Power of Attorney form that gives you the rite to apply for a duplicate title. Once you receive a duplicate titletake that and the power of attorney paper to MVD with the truck. The reason I said Montana is they do not inspect anything that old and you can use a PO Box for address. AZ is a pain in the ass about titles and numbers. in the level 3 inspection in AZ any 2 of the 3 vin numbers have to match or no title. the 3 vin numbers are the frame engine and or cab. I think I would use it as parts. The last truck I bought here like that was stolen and I had to leave it at the inspection station. Out $500 bucks and had to go to the police station and sign a paper stating that I had purchased it from, at address, date and time of purchase and give a physical description of the person I bought it from. It was a big hassle.

A- i know its not stolen because a sherrif one tim got suspisious about all the cars my dad had and came to check all the vins and they all came up clean.

B-it was free so its not like id be out anything anyways.

I would just pop the fender tag one off. Tell the inspecting officer if he/she asks why it's missing that you know the front was replaced after a crash and don't know anything about it other than that. Didn't even know it should have had one there. Be polite and play stupid and you can squeak it by I bet!

Having two vins is one thing, but having no title it a much bigger problem. Like Charlie says getting a title from AZ is going to be a PITA. I know, I stupidly bought 3 vehicles without titles over the years, only succeed once. One car ended up having to be scrapped, another re-sold as parts only, and the on I succeeded was only a rolling shell. Lost a good amount of money on the other two. I will NEVER buy another car without a title, don't care how cheap it is, it's not worth the hassle.

The first thing the DMV is going to do is run a check to see if it's stolen, if it comes up yes, you just lost everything.

Don't go through Oregon, if you don't have a title from another state you can't get an OR title. I had a similar problem with my roadster,i had a bill of sale only, no title and the OR dmv told me they have to have a title from another state in order to register in OR. I ended up going through ITS title company in las vegas, who went through Alabama (which only issues a bill of sale for vehicles 25 years and older, no title. With that you can go to the OR dmv and get a title (the nice lady at the desk told me i couldn't get a title in OR with only a bill of sale so i explained to her that alabama only issue bill of sale paperwork with cars this old, she looked it up and sure enough i was right. I now have an OR title for my car cost about $250 but better than no title at all.

In some states it is no problem. They will look up the title and you then send the owner of record a Registered letter. If it comes back mail undeliverable, they give you a provisional title. In three years, it will be cleared and is yours.

Don't give up.

I'm pretty sure Oregon don't do the whole "bonded title thing" i know WA does but it cost a lot of money and takes time.