I want a newer car, lend your opinions!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i vote for a s13 like my old one

save a TON of money and i love the way my car drove with what it had it was a bad ass lil car i still miss it to this day!!!!

every time i drive my dads s14 it gets me thinking about trying to trade my datto off for o ne but then i think about it i jsut cant do it

soo yeah if i got a second newer car it would be a s14 all the way keep it in the nissan family and then it will have same motor as your goon!!!!

I know literally NOTHING about MBZ cars, so I'm really glad you chimed in! I love the look of that style Merc, and I know they had a factory option with some sort of kit and wing available which is even sexier (and even more expensive!).

I'm going to focus more on 2000+ cars for the time being, as it's more up my alley, I think.

I'm thinking E46 BMW 325i, Scooby WRX, Nissan 350z. As was suggested, I need to swing by a dealership and test fit my ass in the Z and maybe take it for a test drive. Same with the other cars, I really need to get behind the wheel and see how they all feel and see what suits me best. The Z is the least practical of the 3, I think... More expensive, 2 door... But they can definitely be sexy, and I'd be staying loyal to Nissan.

i vote for a s13 like my old one

save a TON of money and i love the way my car drove with what it had it was a bad ass lil car i still miss it to this day!!!!

every time i drive my dads s14 it gets me thinking about trying to trade my datto off for o ne but then i think about it i jsut cant do it

soo yeah if i got a second newer car it would be a s14 all the way keep it in the nissan family and then it will have same motor as your goon!!!!

I don't fit well in S13's. If it were a 240sx, it'd have to be a S14. Plus, I hate the way S13's look unless you have money poured into them. And they're unreliable as hell when you mod them. But they suck when they're stock! Lose-lose, if you ask me!

S14 is pretty much out, as well. I'd want a 97/98 for a more recent car and for the Kouki front end, but prices are so high right now because of the drift craze. Plus, cops love them because it's an easy ticket. Even a stock KA can fail at the BAR, as is what's happening now in California with a lot of the poor kids getting popped and ticketed for stupid shit like an intake.

Honestly, I'm not going to deal with it. The goon will be my daily drifter, I'll leave the other slot open for something nicer and more practical and less ticket-happy.

If I were going to get a project it would be a Z car or a Mercedes 280se... I love how gangster they look for being an early 70's car! Headlight/foglight stacked on top, get it in a 4 door, factory air ride modified for full dump, patina'd paint and color-matched hub caps. I'd keep that pig stock as I can besides full air ride suspension!

It looks like you're caught up between a BMW/Merc, WRX, or a 350z. I'd say you'd be better off going w/ the WRX, if you can find an inexpensive one. BMWs/Merc will eat you alive when it comes to fixing anything, and a 350z is just too new to get them for cheap.

Although.. have you considered a MkII MR2? My girlfriend is driving one right now, and let me tell you, even the base, bone-stock model is suprising. It's a 2-door, 2 seater, mid-engine. For a little more, you can get the turbo-ed version, I think they're somewhere around 220hp.. but don't quote me on that. My girlfriend's MR2 at only around 130hp is pretty suprising.. you can usually pick one of these guys up for a few grand.. we scored hers for about $1200... in really nice shape and low miles. Plus, it's a Toyota.. all the reliability of Japanese engineering, and you didn't even have to buckle for a Honda/Acura :)

3598353892_cd84944f30.jpg

Eh..? EH..?

Edited by MicroMachinery

I would do the WRX..and it looks awesome in stock fashion.

Most of the higher end names BMW and MBZ have high prices on parts. I have owned 2 BMW's 81 and a 83 320i's , and a 85 MBZ 300SD Turbo Diesel (talk about expensive to have repaired it still sits in the garage with a bad front tranny seal. Tranny is almost 430lbs and to yank out the bottom haha). $145 for a simple fuel line from pump to tank 8" long on the 81 BMW. Silly. I had it made at a hose place local for $23 but if they could have made it its hard to swallow the price of parts.

If you are willing to drive a fwd car, I loved my 2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd. They are comfy, quick, and decent mpg. NIce torque always available and 23-24mpg on 89 octane or premium is better

I also had a 97 and 98 5spd maxima and both were great cars

I also had a wrx wagon which was a great car. They are not comfy though for bigger guys. I only weigh 200lbs and I had a 2003 and the seats are pretty small and not that comfortable for me. Seats are bigger in 04 05 for us Americans haha. I wish I still had it, however I traded it in on my 2008 Forester as it needed a lot of repairs (timing belt, brakes, exhaust, tires, etc) so made sense to trade it in at the time vs to pay out a ton of cash

Get a pickup. As soon as you buy any of those other cars you'll want to start dumping money into them, then you'll have 2 money pits that always need attention. I had a first gen Frontier which had 178k on it and ran great, just bought a second gen 2006 crew cab Frontier and LOVE it. Plus I can haul engines and parts in the bed, tow a trailer, and still carry 4 people comfortably.

I dig MR2's, don't get me wrong, but they're tiny, and the thought of leaning over the back of my car to try to do any work to it kills my knees and back without even touching one! Plus, they're a 2 seater, which is going to make it very hard for me to fit in them comfortable and they're not practical.

Again, I'm NOT GETTING A 240SX, especially a S13. ESPECIALLY one that's RHD. The price tag is retarded, too, I don't care if it's a Silvia Q's version, RHD is not what I want for a daily driver.

XeroX has a newer Maxima, and I really like his car. However, XeroX has a Maxima... so I can't get a Maxima. Plus, I'd rather stay away from FWD cars anyway...

I'm still pondering the truck. It would be nice to be able to toss things in the back and haul them around... especially since I'm in the process of moving and I'm going to be needing furniture. It's definitely something I'll consider. Tacomas and Frontiers can be had anywhere from 6-10k depending on year and model, which is exactly what I'm looking for, too.

The BMW screams luxury to me, though. I'm looking to get something fairly low-key, doesn't attract too much unwanted attention, but still turns some heads and looks good. I also love the way they look in stock trim, which would mean at most I'll want it lowered on some nicer wheels at some point. Leather interior, nice stereo, quiet, 4 door, sexy, leg room, good power.

The WRX is still winning me over for the time being, but again, I have plenty of time for that to change. Great style, easier/cheaper to maintain, turbo'd, great aftermarket parts. Again, looks awesome stock, so at most I'll want coilovers and wheels. AWD, which would be nice for trips to Tahoe and such, 4 door, leg room, decent sound system, good power. Not quite as luxurious as the Biimer, but definitely a fun, sexy tuner car.

The 350z I'm still on the fence about. I do plan on going out and test driving one soon. I know I fit well into the seats, but I don't know how I fit in the car the seats are mounted in! They sound great, definitely sexy looks... 2 door, which is kind of a drawback on practicality... Higher price tag and higher cost for aftermarket parts... Definitely a car I could see myself having a total blast in, though!

Things to think about...

What size car would you want? People have thrown out everything from compact to partial bus.

If you do go the BMW route, for the love of god do NOT get a valvetronic motor. If you ever have to work on it you'll need at least a BS in ME and a small fortune. German cars are pricey to fix because for some apparent reason everyone feels they need to take their BMW/MBZ/Audi into their respective dealer to get it worked on. If you took a new Lexus into the dealer to get it worked on whenever you need something done I bet you'll find similar pricing. Most German car owners are check-writers and dealer prices will reflect this. Fixing it yourself isn't as difficult as many people make it out to be (a FSM for your vehicle gives step by step removal and instillation instructions, at least the MBZ manuals I have do) and not buying spares from the dealer if at all possible makes the german cars fall much closer to standard costs.

I also would not go Audi. They may be AWD, but anyone who thinks puting an entire iron block engine infront of the front axle centerline is a good engineering plan from a performance standpoint should be shot. Subaru makes it work since they use light all alloy flat 4's and in a few instances flat 6's.

If you're into newer cars, I would like to suggest the W202 C class Mercedes or if you want something more 5 series sized, than the E class would be nice, W210 model. Both have been seen on the market quite a bit lately as people are trying for the W201 and W124 cars so they're quite discounted. You can get excellent condition cars (practically new) for WELL under 8k and you could even find some AMG examples for still, well under 8k.

A VERY clean, solid, well kept C36 is on ebay for a little over 5k. Not bad for the AMG tuned 287hp version with the big six in a 3 series sized chassis. From what I've read, this puts you square into M3 power though more on the luxury side at much closer to 328 prices.

21188d1049984024-c36-amg-merc_c36amg2.jpg

Not trying to sway either way, just pitching for the home team. I feel you'll be very satisified with either BMW or MB should you choose that direction.

Just my .02.

I'm really not a fan of 300zx's. They're big, heavy, 2 seater, and I haven't seen too many of them that make my groin stir. Plus, the engine bay looks like a headache in and of itself!

As far as what you've said, MAG, I'm not taking it as a "don't get this, only get MBZ!!!" and actually, it's really helpful! Like I said, I'm very unfamiliar with the Mercedes brand. My mom had an old one years and years ago, and it was a great car! My grandpa has a turbo diesel one, too, but other than those 2, I'm pretty blind to Mercedes cars. Hell, even since I've just read your post, I hopped on Craigslist to peek. Not a LOT out there in the realm of what I want (either too old or too new), but did find this fella!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1530103854.html

merz007.jpg

Now the real question is, it's a Mercedes C230 Kompressor for less than $6000 in good shape, willing to smog before sale... What are the things to look out for with Merc's and BMW's? With older Datsuns, obviously inspect for rust in all the usual spots. With these cars what is the failure to keep an eye out for? It sounds like a leaking seal or a bad transmission can really put a damper on how much fun I'm about to have with the thing.... What else is there to know about the car?

A little research tells me it's a 2.3 liter, dual cam, 4 cylinder with a supercharger putting out around 185hp/200tq. 4 wheel disk with ABS and traction control. What else do I need to know looking at a German car?

Would things to stay away from pretty much consist of cracked/worn seats and steering wheels, condition of shocks front and rear, electrical gremlins, and other little things?

How about a late 280zx or even just the 300zx, they are new enough to not be fully trashed but old enough not to cost an arm or leg.

I think I can pretty much say I'll never own a 280zx or 300zx (new or old). I hate the look of the 280zx, and the only thing I'd want from it is a turbo motor for an earlier Z car.

I'm looking more for comfort and class than a Datsun. Again, this will be my daily while the Goon goes under the knife for motor swap, IRS and box flares.

EDIT: Looking deeper into it, it looks like although it C230 I linked would totally work, but for a few grand more, still staying below 9-10k, the newer model C230 is also a possibility (with the bubbly headlights like an '03, for instance).

Again, anything to stay away from on either model? For the most part, they spec out very similarly, but obviously the body style changed to a little sleeker to keep up with the rest of the market.

Edited by WagDatto

Not sure why the C230's are going for so much, but I'd think much less than 6 should get you into a fairly nice Kompressor. On any MB made in the 90's needs to be investigated for wiring. I'm not sure the exact years but some of the mid 90's cars had biodegradable wiring. Don't know why. Anyway, it was a factory recall and if you get the service records, a factory engine harness replacement should make fora healthy car. Checking the auto tranny will keep you sane (though a manual can be had for the C230) and these cars afaik did well against rust, though checking in the normal sports would always be solid. But for 5900, you could almost save a few hundred and add 1300cc's to the displacement...oh yeah and 280hp and 300+ tq.

It is flea-bay, but flea-bay is usually overpriced so to get an idea...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220529907816&category=6334&_trksid=p3841.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26itu%3DUCI%252BRPQ%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Though it's not normal for many MBZ's to have a performance following, the W201's (DTM), the W124's, and to some extent the W202's have almost a cult following that have spawned a few industries to get you a fairly solid following of performance parts. Keeping it before the mid 2000's will keep you out of the spastic electronically controlled dampers, which means you can get Billstein sport shocks and any of a litany of springs and have a VERY capable car in the twisties (though it does well for itself stock). The bottom line on picking up an MB or really any german car is remembering that most owners are indeed check-writers, so being very up front about getting the service records is worth its weight in gold. A properly maintained MBZ will last through a few nuclear winters, and hell freezing over.

So I've looked deeper into things and I think I'm now looking at a BMW 325i, as posted as my last choice, and a Lexus IS300 and a Subaru WRX as my top car choices. I'm also starting to look at either a Frontier or Tacoma as well. I love the look of the newer Tacoma's, but the price of the newer Frontier's are much more friendly...

But as far as a practical car, I honestly thinking WRX and IS300 are exactly what I need. I think the WRX is a little more of a "toy" where the IS300 would be a sexier, more toned-down, low key daily. What are your experiences between the two? Any suggestions and things to look at on either of these?

So I've looked deeper into things and I think I'm now looking at a BMW 325i, as posted as my last choice, and a Lexus IS300 and a Subaru WRX as my top car choices. I'm also starting to look at either a Frontier or Tacoma as well. I love the look of the newer Tacoma's, but the price of the newer Frontier's are much more friendly...

But as far as a practical car, I honestly thinking WRX and IS300 are exactly what I need. I think the WRX is a little more of a "toy" where the IS300 would be a sexier, more toned-down, low key daily. What are your experiences between the two? Any suggestions and things to look at on either of these?

you pekker head. I want those cars as well! Rachel and i were just talking about getting a DD for me and keep the truck as a play thing. She likes the IS's and ive been trying to get her on WRX's as well.

I guess we could be bros and both have either lol

BMW can suck a lemon. Expensive, expensive, expensive! The IS300 and the WRX are the most logical choice and fortunately both built by Japan. I would still choose the WRX for simplicity of working on, vs. the IS. Lots more parts availability too.

Haha, Chris, we could totally be bro's and get the same car!

I've started leaning away from the German cars for a few reasons... Although initial cost can be affordable, parts ARE more expensive than for imports, even if I'm doing the work myself. As Phil pointed out, our friend Steve's $100k Mercedes has had NUMEROUS problems, and has left him stranded more than once. They do have issues which will require fixing... The Biimer is a bit more reliable than Mercedes, but still not a huge step up... Plus, as he said, 325i's are poser cars! Oh so sexy @ German engineering, though!

The WRX would be a bucket of fun... BUT isn't quite as sexy as the IS300, attracts more attention than the IS300, and I'd want to dump way more money into it than an IS300. Sadly, as much as I love the sound of the flat 4 rumbling through a turbo and exhaust, I think I've leaned toward the Lexus!!

Does anybody have any insight on trucks? No single cabs, I'd PREFER a double cab, if only because it'd keep me from wanting to dump the thing out on bags... Again, I've looked more at Frontiers and Tacomas, but what other import trucks should I glance at?

There really aren't any other Japanese trucks. Suzuki Equator or whatever is a Frontier. Mitsubishi's pickup is a Dodge. The only thing that comes somewhat close is the revival of the Brat, which ended in 2006? The Subaru Bajas can be found in a GT option, and I think it you took off the plastic body cladding, would improve the looks quite a bit. Of course, you don't really want to get something just to start screwing with it, at least not in this case.

The other thing is it's not really a truck. No full bed, can't dump 1500 pounds of gravel in the back. Like the Honda Ridgeline. An over-inflated ugly Accord. Front wheel drive, transverse mounted engine, and a teeny tiny bed. I think they'll be around for all of a few more years then maybe they'll have the sense to squash it.

Wait a minute, here's a thought! Go down to Mexico, get a DOUBLE CAB hardbody! Rock that bitch! This one's 2wd, but you get the point.

2638134208616212764.jpg

What about the Mazdaspeed 6. The fun of the wrx with AWD and 276 horse, with the maturity of the IS300. Not as modable as the WRX or IS300, there is stuff out there for them, but they can be VERY finicky when it comes to modding. I've had my baby for 3 years and still lover her.