Power Wheels Gets a New Power Plant!

WagDatto

KA-Kait and I were driving home and screeched to a halt when we saw a pile of stuff waiting to be picked up for large item pick-up day. Right on the side of said pile?

Jeep Power Wheels.

For a very long time, I've wanted to get one of these little plastic things, build a frame for it and drop in a gas motor from a lawn mower/tiller and shred some plastic!

First step will be tear down and sweet paint job. Then it's on to reinforced frame and modified seat. Then some sort of motor between 5-10hp from a tiller or other horizontal-drive small motor!

Shit's gonna be bad...

IMG00331-20091210-0954.jpg

IMG00332-20091210-0955.jpg

IMG00333-20091210-0955.jpg

Don't act like you're not impressed. Post your ideas. We're keeping this ALL FREE except the motor (less than $150 if possible). Got a great tip to scour craigslist for a free metal bed frame to use as a frame for the car. Motor, I'm looking at B&S hopefully up closer to 10hp just for kicks... I'm thinking if I can find one with a torque converter that'd be perfect, but a cheap centrifugal clutch would be a cheap and easy alternative. Sprockets are cheap, too, so we should be able to get this thing hauling ass with little effort and low cost.

I'm on the fence... Keep it stock height? Lift it 6"? Or dump it and build some fender flares and widen the track width? If I'm building a frame for it anyway, I can do whatever I want!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skib, I will be keeping wheel options open, but to start, I think I'll keep the stock plastic wheels. I'm thinking I'll lower it, widen the track a little and build some flares. That way, if I do put rubber wheels on, it won't just tip over when I turn!

Fuzz, a starter motor? As in... The starter for your car? I'm under the impression that the starter isn't meant to be run for very long periods of time, and I also have a feeling it would kill a battery fairly quickly.

Steve, the problem with lawn mower motors is they have a vertical driveshaft, so adapting that to the axle would be a bitch and a half... Otherwise it'd be cake to grab a lawn mower for free-to-cheap and rock and roll.

lil89ram, where are you? If that's a serious offer, I'm seriously considering it!

i am in devils lake north dakota..... and yes that was a serious offer! haha me and a buddy built 2 lawwn mowers for a huge classic car show here in town this summer! we had mine doing 45mph, and his did about 30! and i stripped mine down, and dont plan on puttint back together, i got a speeding ticket on mine, and he got a ticket for running a stop sighn and no muffler! lol we took the wheels and brakes of my 2 extra pocket bikes, bored out the hubs and bolted on to his, we welded the diff in mine due to traction problems, then i snapped it, and cant find another....

Fuzz, a starter motor? As in... The starter for your car? I'm under the impression that the starter isn't meant to be run for very long periods of time, and I also have a feeling it would kill a battery fairly quickly.

Yes a stater motor from a v-8 Chevrolet works very nice, just have to change out the solenoid or remove it. They have them on barstool racers for the inside competition and use gas motors for outside races. Very good low end torque with the electric and you can use a Optima battery and mount it anywhere or one of those drycell little batteries. Either way, it's alot of fun.

Fuzz

I won't be using an Optima, since they aren't meant to be drained and re-charged too many times or else they die on you.

I actually searched for the starter motor for go kart applications... Very interesting, I'll keep it in mind since I have two KA starters laying around waiting to be turned in for warranty!

Lilram, PM me details about shipping something like that to 95628 (Fair Oaks, CA), I'd pay shipping and for all packing materials, of course! What do you have as far as tranny, etc? Probably more interested in the 8hp vs the bigger one... The car was lifted into Kait's car by HER! So I really don't want to severely overpower it!!

Yeah this is going to be such a blast. I cannot wait to pull this thing apart. We're keeping our eyes peeled for a second one so me and him could both have one and there are some surprises in store for it all. I just want to take it to meets and drive around parking lots.

as far as tickets go, no way phil. come on. I can get out of them.... maybe if i wear a lot cut shirt ;P