stuck on the freeway

uhhitsfuzzy

So I barely got my 78 620 running. Im barely going home from work and im 1 exit away. Drive from work to home isn't that far prolly 5 exits.. So I hit 80mph then it just died on me and I pulled over to the side. I tried starting it again.. There's crank and batter. But it just won't fully start. And when I start it while on 1st gear.. The truck budge.. Helppppp!

Currently waiting for the tow truck...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I barely got my 78 620 running. Im barely going home from work and im 1 exit away. Drive from work to home isn't that far prolly 5 exits.. So I hit 80mph then it just died on me and I pulled over to the side. I tried starting it again.. There's crank and batter. But it just won't fully start. And when I start it while on 1st gear.. The truck budge.. Helppppp!

Currently waiting for the tow truck...

Is there gas in the tank?:rolleyes:

Maybe the fuel pump just died or a clogged fuel filter. Usually simple stuff.... Dont forget to check that.

That's what it sounds like to me. Fuel problem. I'm well acquainted w/ having the fuel pump go out while you're driving.. good thing they're cheap and easy to replace.

It is not uncommon for the pick up in the tank to get clogged. A quick fix sometimes is to remove the fuel line that goes in to the fuel pump, and blow air back to the gas tank and try to dislodge debris stuck there.

This will get you going, but does not really fix the problem.

If there is dirt and crud in the gas tank, it will still be there.

To fix this problem, you need to clean all the crud out of the gas tank, usually by removing it.

yeah if you still run points they can be proplem matic and seen alot of newer young people dont know how to fix these thus more cars on the side of the house.

a electronic ignition of somesort would help greatly and if it cuts out again most likely you can rule out the ignition.

glad you figured it out.

with point distributors you have to ck the point gap condensor and make sure the bushing dont ear out as the shaft can move side to side making the point open also(lots of backfiring) also always keep the stock coil and ballast with point ignition!!!!!!!