Block Ventilation

79D50

Quick Question: The block ventilation tube that comes out of the drivers side underneath the intake towards the firewall....that is suppossed to connect to the intake PCV valve. That tube just blows hot fumes in to the engine bay and into the cab choking me out. What have some of you done here? The hoses are long gone..Anyon ehave pics of what they have fabbed?

Edited by 79D50
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do NOT block that off. That seals all the nasty fumes inside your crankcase, which in turns eats bearings and does all sorts of nasty things long term.

Run the block port to the pcv valve on your intake. Take the air cleaner tube, and run an open breather filter on that. Provided you don't have lots of blowby, it will work fine, and will get rid of all the nasty crap.

Also search on pcv valve, this topic has been covered a few times. There are a few different ways to hook up pcv systems.

Do NOT block that off.

Also search on pcv valve, this topic has been covered a few times. There are a few different ways to hook up pcv systems.

I know not to block it off. I did do a search but didnt use PCV...was late :mellow:

I know to run the hose to the PCV but what I was looking for was an answer to the where the port on the bottom of the WEBER air cleaner goes. I assume that might route to the top of the CAM cover. Are you saying to put a open breather right off the WEBER filter...? I have next to no blowby...only 30k on motor.

I will check EBAY for the hose. Thanks!

use route a line from the valve cover to under the weber carb. The lower plate should have a white plastic L tube that a hose will hook up to.(now this is if you have really bad blowby as soemtime I dont run one.

the lower crank case needs to be vented. As photo this is a L16 set up tube and hose as the hose has 2 different sizes on the ends(funky) and hooks up to the PCV valve. L20 use a different tube set up and maybe you can rig a radiator/heater size hose to to fit the pcv valve at the intake

if you have lots of blowby I would hook up both like above. But also ck to make sure your exhaust manifold gasket is not blown out under 2&3 exhaust cylinder. soemtimes the gasket cracks thingin you have a smelly PCV proplem.

Put your hand under there during warm up and feel for hot gases.

ON my 510s I have dual carbs and my crankcase vent is open.

At idle the crankvent will blow out AIR but once you go past idle the crankcase will or should suck in air.

So if if your Rings are shot at idle you pull the crankcase vent and stick your head there and its smelly you got blow by or your exhaust has a leak.

lseries21_thumb.jpg

There's a huge discussion on this subject on Hybrid Z....

I've got mine blocked off since basically the entire front of the engine is open and I have a valve cover breather.

Hybrid is down right now but I'll post a link when it comes back up.

Thanks Hainz..I will be building that hose this weekend. I figure a brass reducer will work i.e. 1/4 to 3/4 (estimates for conversations sake) with some hose and clamps. I scoured EBAY and found no OEM hoses for this particular solution.

The bitch is making this look like it belongs in the engine bay - aesthetics are important to me. It will be functional but fugly.

i wish mine looked like that, mine as been cut an is only a few inchs long, i've been meaning for a long time to get it fixed but i can never find all the parts.. not to mention i would have to put a hole in the bracket that caps off the end of the intake mani.. an then yadda yadda .. my engine already has lots of blow by i dont think theres anything i can do to fix it now.. :( she still runs good tho.. when she gets tired an finally gives out an its time for a new motor i will make sure its hooked up properly..

Look on the intake below and to the rear of the carb. The PCV valve screws into the intake.

PCV valve is shown at end of (silvery)hose in middle right of picture. Sometimes they are screwed directly into manifold. Many variants.

PCVtubevalve.jpg

Here's another shot with PCV valve (black) without the hose on:

IMG_0330.jpg

Here's another shot with PCV valve (black) without the hose on:

IMG_0330.jpg

This is my intake and I have a fresh PCV valve new in the box waiting for install. I looked at EBAY again and talked to REDDAT and he has one advertised that fits 510, 521, and he lists '73 620. I pinged him and he responded that it will fit the '76.

Here is the ad: Can anyone confirm fitment? It would appear to work from my angle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370302094393&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Hey 79D50,

I was wondering how that carb adapter compares to the 2 piece style that came with my weber. I didn't want to thread jack, so I just posted this question on another thread a few minutes ago. Here is the other thread:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=242325#post242325

Do you know if you can use either type on these intakes?

Thanks

That one is for an L16 motor where the vent pipe comes directly out of the block to below the intake like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/L16blockpcv.jpg[/img]"]L16blockpcv.jpg

You have a '76 which would be an L20B with a vent pipe like this (to clear the ex. manifold) and needing the longer hose:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog.jpg[/img]"]motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog.jpg

I don't know if it will work.

It is actually an L18 - It does not poke directly our of the block i.e. parallel with the ground. It angles upwards at a 45 degree +/- angle. So REDDAT's ad is for the L16. This now makes sense..Well, I guess I will FAB something together and post some before/after pics for your viewing pleaseure.

Hey 79D50,

I was wondering how that carb adapter compares to the 2 piece style that came with my weber. I didn't want to thread jack, so I just posted this question on another thread a few minutes ago. Here is the other thread:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=242325#post242325

Do you know if you can use either type on these intakes?

Thanks

Either type will work. Make sure the gaskets fits well. Not that you would, but I have to say it because I have seen people do it....they are dry fit so for God's sake don't use RTV.

The one piece hi rise adapter is what I have on both motors and they are easy to install and add a bit better breathing....You should be able to poke around the internet and source these easily.

top end performance

weber direct ... to give a few examples

people should have this in a box somewhere.

What he posted is for a L16

But what I did to my L18 it has a 45deg type also. I cut it near the block and I had a couple L16 tubes. I cut it to size then pounded iton the L18 45deg shaped partYes they almost fit inside each eacher). so the size now was correct. As if was comming straight out Like a stock L16.

used a L16 intake and the L16 PCV rubber hose pitcured in the ebay ad. More or less I layed it out like it was a L16 set up. So I cut the tube near where it came up and out . cut 1 or 2 ich to where it turns down into block.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Alright....$100 internet bucks to the first guy that tells me what is wrong with this picture. After discussing this with you all and looking at my 2.6 for reference, this doesn't make sense and probably explains a few quirky things on the truck.

CIMG1596.jpg

CIMG1595.jpg

CIMG1598.jpg

CIMG1597.jpg

:eek:

Lynch420 is the weiner.....LOL...I saw that and said WTF is that. Yes, the plug on the 4th runner should hook to the brake booster. Do you think this is why my brakes are a bit weak? The drums and shoes are virtually brand new with little over 10k miles on them. In reverse it doesnt want to stop and I really have to get into it. Perhaps the PO thought you would get more vacuum out of the back part of the intake?????

Hainz...I was mistaken from memory..The vent tube is pretty much parallel to the ground and as you can see it is an L18...Hmmmm. From the looks of it, REDDAT's PCV hose just might work.