What are the odds of finding some L13 rods?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well CRAP! Turns out it's a Z24... I just talked to the guy on the phone, and it says Z24 right on the side of the block... I'd just slam my head on it, and run it, but I've heard some bad stories about Z24 blocks cracking... I think I might still buy it anyway... Maybe make one of those medium block 2.4 motors?

for $100 id do it!

better motor (torque) for the 4X4 anyway.

i didnt know what mine had unitl i did the HG, looks like all stock Z24 internals and it goes to 11 :lol:

i had taken it up to 8000 many times :eek:

and who knows what the PO did to it on the track...

as far as the cracking goes, in my search i only found L20's cracked (3), and they are all in the same location, head bolts between 2/3.

i use studs to reduce the chances of it happening...

I was thinking of doing the Medium block 2.4, but use the Z20e rods to try and keep the rod/stroke ratio good. I found a piston that will work, but they are $60 bucks each for silvolite pistons, and I have to buy a set of 6. For factory pistons they are $148 at MY price...

I did find someone that can turn the crank counter blanace weights for me though... I dont know... The problem with just using the Z24 is that its a lot taller than the L20b. I would want to use my L head on it, but I dont want to have hood clearance issues... :(

This Z24 is $100 for just the short block, no head... The guy said he pulled it because it was overheating and he didnt know why... He swapped the shortblocks, kept the same head. He said it was something stupid making it over heat, but I dont know... seems kinda fishy... Where would I look for cracks on the Z24 block? I'm going to look at it after school tonight. Think I should buy it still?

The crappy thing is I already bought the pistons to do the LZ2.2 with the 152.5mm rods...

you might not have any hood clearance issues. I know that running a "tall" block in a 510 you have that problem, but KAs fit in the 620s just fine and your setup won't be any taller. worst case, hood scoop or lower the engine a tiny bit

I The crappy thing is I already bought the pistons to do the LZ2.2

dont feel too bad, i made the same mistake :cursing: dont buy pistons first! :rolleyes:

bought JE forged for a stroker L20. fortunately i will still be able to make them work w/ the Z22

... lower the engine a tiny bit

:thumbsup:

my dime hood a nice bump in it (by the PO)

which is why i had mentioned using nissan motor mounts ONLY

then theres the gaskets...

The rods available huh? I'm leary to buy rods off ebay, without knowing the casting # for the 149.5mm rods.

*EDIT* I just did some more reading, and I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner... Since the Z24 block is taller, I would have to modify the L20b timing cover to seal on the extra 3/4 inch of block height. That pretty much eliminates using the L head on the Z24 motor for me. SO, I just have to decide how bad I want to make a frankenstein motor with the Z24 crank... The only reason I would be buying this short block is for the crank. The rods are too long to do anything with, in anything other than the Z24 block. So $100 for the crank, and another $100 minimum to have the counter balance weights turned to fit in the L block... With the 86mm pistons, it would make a 2.23l engine... The Z22 crank would yield a 2.14... Sounds like a lot of hassle, and $$ for only an extra .09 liters... The pistons for the Z24/L20/149.5 combo are $60 a piece also...

I think I'll pass on the Z24, and just keep searching for a Z22 core motor, or just crank.

use the Z24 cover and block, timing chain.

there are no bolt holes for the L head(2) to the Z24 cover(4) that match.

sealing is not a huge issue as its not under pressure (i used lots of RTV applied carefully inside) and used 2 bolts w/larger washers to seal on each side. @100mi no leaks yet

the rods are still installed in the block, i will try to get to it this weekend to measure and check marks etc...

i still have no idea what dizzy(4 plug) it is :?

as far as the cracking goes, in my search i only found L20's cracked (3), and they are all in the same location, head bolts between 2/3.

Hell I went thru 3 L20's at the machine shop before I finally got a good block...

There are ways to keep that from happening. Making sure the threads are clean on the headbolt and the block and making sure the threaded hole is free of ANYTHING.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.