What are the odds of finding some L13 rods?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... Since my engine needs to come back apart, I was thinking I could drop a z22 crank in, to compensate for the extra 6mm in stroke, but still be able to use my same pistons, It might be possible to use the L13 rod, which is 6mm shorter than the L20b rod.

Maybe you might be able to get some from the UK, I know Eddie Rattley (aka ratdat) has (or at least had) a parts pile far more extensive than anyone I know. Being the 1300 was stock for their Bluebirds, he might know where to find said rods. You probably can contact him through the UK Datsun Owner's club.

datsunownersclub.co.uk/contact.html

However, using such a short rod with the longer throw has other consequences. Like pulling the piston out the bottom of the bore on the downstroke. It won't go all the way, but probably enough to unshroud the piston skirt and impart side load. I'd hate to see that result. Remember, the Z22 had the same deck dimensions as the L20B, but a longer rod/shorter piston pin arrangement to compensate for that.

Yes, I'm thinking of building some kind of variant of the 2.2l. I figure since the engine has to come apart again, I might as well pump it up and try and get some more torque out of it...

What about getting some late Z22e 149.5mm rods? I realize I'll have to get new pistons again, but I'll live. I'll have to get some late z22e pistons also, but I think it will be worth it.

Yes, I'm thinking of building some kind of variant of the 2.2l. I figure since the engine has to come apart again, I might as well pump it up and try and get some more torque out of it...

What about getting some late Z22e 149.5mm rods? I realize I'll have to get new pistons again, but I'll live. I'll have to get some late z22e pistons also, but I think it will be worth it.

Just get any (preferably early S) Z22 crank and matching piston/rod assy. out of the same block. Bore your old L20B to 87mm and slip in it. Just use the old Z22 pistons and new rings. Bam! LZ22. 10% bigger and good to go.

Well... I'm going to be boring it another .010 anyway. Out to 87mm. I'm going another direction anyway, I already have the rods I'm going to use. I just need a Z22 crank. Wish I could edit the topic on this to say z22 crank, instead of L13 rods :(

Anyone have a Z22 crank they'd like to sell? No L/Z anythings here currently. Nothing on ebay.

do you already have 87mm pistons?

sounds like you'e gonna beat me to it (stealing my plans! :D) but it'll be cool since it's in a truck.

Have you considered a more torque-y hybrid, I'm pretty sure the 2.1 won't have a whole lot of bottom end, at least not as compared to a bigger motor like the 2.4. The 2.19 is to be very rev-happy, probably not something you need in a 4x4

No, I dont have the pistons yet. I'm still researching how I want to approach that.

I would do a 2.4 variant, but I dont want anything to do with cutting the counter weights on the crank down, and I want to use the L20b block. Hence why I want to stick with the z22 crank.

I agree, the long rod 2.1 (86mm stroke) would be a rev happy mother-- And it doesn't belong in a 4x4 truck. I wanted to build one for my old 510, but I probably won't have a 510 for a long time, so maybe when I'm old I can do that...

However, the long rod 2.19/2.24 using the 92mm stroke z22 crank would be "more torquey" because of the stroke. I think it would be truck worthy, and it would have a better rod/stroke ratio than the z22. I'm not positive what bore size I'll be using yet though, I may end up with an 86mm bore, making the engine a 2.14L.

I put an ad on the local craigslist looking for a Z22 engine, or crankshaft...

If by chance I do end up with a complete Z22 engine, I may use that block, but the way Nissan/Datsun parts are around here, I doubt I'll come across one.

I put an ad on the local craigslist looking for a Z22 engine, or crankshaft...

If by chance I do end up with a complete Z22 engine, I may use that block, but the way Nissan/Datsun parts are around here, I doubt I'll come across one.

i sold my Z22 top end to a guy in eugene. (ill let ya know about the crank :unsure: )

there were 2- NOS Z22 blocks avail a few months back for $400 ea, couldnt find anyone to go in on them at the time :(

Well let me know about the crank. I'll be sticking with the L20b block I have now, I just ordered my pistons, and they're 86mm, so the z22 block wont work for me now. Pistons and rings are on the way, I have the rods, I just need the crank now.

*EDIT*

Hey! Someone replied to my craigslist ad! This guy says...

"i have core motor ran when pulled no ratals". That would be sweet, Hopefully he doesnt want an arm and a leg for it, and He's close.

I see your problem, it's finding +- 29mm pistons for the Z22 crank and 152.5mm rods (I always wondered what you did with those:D:D:D).

True, the longer rod places the piston pin higher in the bore and thus there is less sideways thrust. Any rod ratio of from 1.65 to 1.85 is fine and any higher only benefits EXTREME RPMs.

I already have the pistons on the way. I ordered them earlier. I was going to build a long rod 2.1 for my 510, but I never could find an L20b around here, and then I traded the 510 for my 620, so I've been saving the rods for something...

So then I was planning on building a long rod turbo 2.19 for a 510 someday, but It hit me like... yesterday, that I probably wouldn't be able to afford a 510 for a long time, so I just decided to build a variant of the LR 2.19 for the 620 instead.

Well there are two ways to go on this I guess. Top end or bottom end. My self, I'm shooting for increased bottom and mid range pull for a heavier truck. Most driving is in this range anyway. This will be interesting for us both.

How can I ID a z22? Would it be stamped z22, similar to the way all the L series engines are? The guy with the Z22 wrote me back, and said he wants $100 for the short block. I'm going to go check it out either tomorrow, or friday, and if it is a z22, I'll buy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.