New with a '67 520 project

Jizital

I'm new here and new to datsuns. I have a few friends with 510's and 240z's and for some reason i've been wanting to pick up a 520 or 521 for a while and I picked this '67 520 this past week.

First plan is to get her up and running. Picked up a new battery and started cleaning everything out. Going to drop the fuel tank and have it relined because its been sitting for a few years. Going to replace all the fluids. Brakes leak somewhere so i need to find the leak and replace whatever is leaking. Carb rebuild since its the original carb.

After i get it running i want to get all the rust fixed. Most is just surface rust but there are some smaller holes that need to be taken care of as you can see in the pics.

Looks better in the first pic because it was wet.

datsun1.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet truck!

Do a search here for brakes, zenndog did an excellent write up. Most of the parts are available, but it helps to know what to look for.

There is a thread here on rebuild kits for the Nikki carbs. Kits are still available.

Visit the the620.com to download manuals and parts lists.

Your truck floors are in amazing shape, just guessing, are you in the southwest? (Please add your location to your profile :) )

Welcome!

Thanks for the info! I've actually already been on here searching and found a lot of the information you've mentioned. I finally decided it was time i should register and start posting.

Truck is orig from new mexico but its been in florida since '99 and has been sitting since about '05. I was told the truck sat in a shed from '71-'99

That is a great looking truck and you have a few of the sought after options to boot. I think you'll definintely enjoy it. That thing is so clean I hope you keep it stock and don't attempt a hack job!!

I might have some parts you would be interested in. tool bag, jack, heater

Great truck Jizital. they are fun to drive, you just wait and see. I have one too! it's like driving a go-kart. (a smokey, severely underpowered go-kart, but sitll)

Well, don't "just wait" get to work.

I'm no mechanic, but seems to me:

1) little gas in the carb (not very much)

2) starting fluid directly in the carb as someone turns it over.

3) fuel line into a jerry can so the pump has something to draw. EDIT- oh you have the fuel tank back in? just pump the hell out of it. You have a mechanical fuel pump, I believe.

good luck. keep us posted.

Edited by Sudo

Not sure if you have hours to spend reading the whole thread, but I had to revive my truck too. There are many threads here on just this topic.

You need just a couple of things to make it turn over, and see if it will start.

1. Power to the starter

2. Power to the ignition circuit

3. Fuel

That's about it, providing you've got no obvious mechanical issues. Make sure there is oil in it, and coolant as well. When these rigs sit, they tend to spring leaks when you go to start them. Make sure the oil pan plug is tight, and there is enough water in the cooling system to keep it from overheating. Make sure the valve cover is actually bolted down, etc.

I agree on the jerry can idea for putting fuel into the carb. If the truck has been sitting, the tank is probably full of rust and junk and will cause more problems than it's worth. There is an input hose to the fuel pump attached to a fuel filter on the front driver's side fenderwell. When you open the hood, it's near the front of the truck, behind the headlights. Pull this hose and put it in your jerry can. It's on the right side of this photo...

IMG_2058.jpg

Here is the point in my startup where MKlotz70 helped me sort out the dizzy.

Mine runs now (when the accelerator pump doesn't stick), and most of the credit goes to the guys here.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by nukeday

The truck is lookin like a great starting point...let us know how the work comes along. There are many people on this site that will happily help a Datsun owner in need of some good advice. Some of these folks have been doing it for a really long time and you can benefit from their experience.

Congrats on the new family man! I can honestly say looking back that every minute you spend with you child is a very powerful investment in the future of your life together...mine are 18, 14 and 12 now...man it goes so fast.

Treasure it man.

Welcome aboard.

So now all the lights work except for the turn signals. The lights in the instrument cluster dont even blink. Checked fuses and everything and im not sure what it could be.

Also the horn doesnt work. I took apart the steering wheel and it looks like nothing is corroded and seems like it should work fine.

Would the non working turn signals and horn have anything to do with eachother?