Another Newbe / What to do with my new truck

patd

welcome aboard,we are neighbors,my wife has a 72 521 keep in touch.....:D

That's the Walmart where I go to do my shopping.

Well my Truck did not show up today, Its still sitting up in San francisco at the dealers..:( I fedex'd the paperwork back up to them yesterday and it got there a little to late in the day and the shipping driver cant take it with out the DMV paperwork so he left without my truck.!! So the shipping co. has to reschedule another pickup. So I hope to have it some time next week:(

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man how did I miss this thread! That truck is awesome. I am digging the og floor mat and stockness... Welcome. You definitely need to hit up the local meets... If you want to get rid of the license plate frame, hit up Pacific Coast Datsun. He has a collection

that floor mat looks new!! your package tray looks awesome, dont let your friends stick their feet on it. they are only made of glorified cardboard and are very condition sensitive. check to see if you have the original speaker under the glove box above the package tray.

i'm curious if you have the jack with tools behind the seat or maybe an original unused spare tire under the bed. those things can be fun to find. maybe the owners manual in the glove box.:)

it's good to see an original 521 pull in a couple grand.

as stated it may have a frozen brake or leaky/bad clutch slave cylinder on the side of the trans. or the clutch.

also as stated give a pressure wash and then clean the engine compartment by hand. maybe buff and wax the paint.

keep in mind if you have a frozen brake/drum that the original inner wheel bearings are no longer available even the parts store says they are. they're wrong. there is a pair on ebay for $200 look for the 32kb02 ones like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Datsun-520-521-Pickup-NSK-Wheel-Bearings-32KB02_W0QQitemZ200397215677QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea89ad7bd

most here will tell you to put a disc conversion on it. there are other options. do what you feel is right for you.

nice truck man!!!!!!!

Thanks guys for the nice words and advice, I just got a call from the trucking company's truck driver and my little truck should be here at 1130 , which is three and a half hours from now, I have my camera ready and will take some pictures of it on the shipping truck. Can not wait!!!:):):)

I am not sure what to do with, Its going to be my daily driver so I might just clean it up so that it looks good and get the mechanical s working dependable.

or I might give an original paint job and clean up the frame. or do a body off restro. The body off option is the one I would like to do but I did one on a 74 VW thing with my son-in-law and completely destroyed the enjoyment of driving and having it. I was paranoid of touching it in the fear of scratching it.!

So what to do...hmm.

Here are a few pictures of the 74 VW Thing

Picture197.jpg[/img]

Picture195.jpg[/img]

Picture402.jpg[/img]

Picture581.jpg[/img]

Picture454.jpg

Picture465.jpg[/img]

BobBaker04006.jpg[/img]

Edited by patd

She's a sweet thing, indeed!

I'm into the BRM's and the dual webers with the hex linkage.

What motor set-up are you working with?

As for your truck, why don't you just clean her up, get her running nice, then drop her? That way you can enjoy driving without too many worries.

Yeah..sweet dub. I think I may have seen that in Hot VWs or Trends. It looks familiar. Sweet choice to run the BRMs too.

I think that the answer to your question is really another question...

What do you want the truck to be when you are done?

A Daily needs way less detail than a frame-off would require.

Simple man...keep it simple:)

Oh...one more thing...

PICS!!!!!!!!!!:D

I generally don't much care for VWs, but I have a real fondness for Things.

There is someone in Alameda CA (near San Francisco) that has one dropped quite a bit, and it's pretty bitchin.

No resto work at all, just slammed and driven. I say keep the mechanicals tight, and drive it till the motor falls out.

Yeah..sweet dub. I think I may have seen that in Hot VWs or Trends. It looks familiar. Sweet choice to run the BRMs too.

I think that the answer to your question is really another question...

What do you want the truck to be when you are done?

A Daily needs way less detail than a frame-off would require.

Simple man...keep it simple:)

Oh...one more thing...

PICS!!!!!!!!!!:D

We got her in the Sept 04 issue of hot Vw's:)

She's a sweet thing, indeed!

I'm into the BRM's and the dual webers with the hex linkage.

What motor set-up are you working with?

As for your truck, why don't you just clean her up, get her running nice, then drop her? That way you can enjoy driving without too many worries.

It had a 1914 in it:)

Well she got here at 1130 this morning,:) I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the inside of the cab, The add on ebay said that it was a barn find, so to me that means spiders, and I hate them, so I had to make sure that there are not any inside!! I took out the seat, floor mat, and gave it a quick cleaning. There was the usual trash: a quarter and a couple of penny's, The floor boards are in really good shape. The dash came out pretty good considering I only gave it a quick wipe. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

100_6639.jpg[/img]

100_6642.jpg[/img]

100_6643.jpg[/img]

100_6646.jpg[/img]

100_6647.jpg[/img]

100_6653.jpg[/img]

Edited by patd

Very nice indeed still waiting to get more pic's of my truck up but it is about -3 degrees here in Oklahoma. I did get a chance to put new tires on it thou today I bought these they had very good reviews and look great on the lil hustler. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+RT&partnum=97TR4AMAXRT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I will take it to Tinker AFB in OKC and use the auto hobby shop this weekend to replace all the wheel cylinders and add new brake hoses. Congrats on your purchase.

CYC

Very nice indeed still waiting to get more pic's of my truck up but it is about -3 degrees here in Oklahoma. I did get a chance to put new tires on it thou today I bought these they had very good reviews and look great on the lil hustler. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+RT&partnum=97TR4AMAXRT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I will take it to Tinker AFB in OKC and use the auto hobby shop this weekend to replace all the wheel cylinders and add new brake hoses. Congrats on your purchase.

CYC

That is to cold for me. I went to Oklahoma city way back to take my test for my A&P license. I drove from Holloman AFB to get it.

And I am not talking about my truck, Well after cleaning up the truck yesterday I went to bed feeling like I got ran over by a semi truck, and woke up feeling even worse,I think it was the rubbing compound that I used to go over the truck with, my arms feel like rubber and back is stiff, so today I am going to take it easy and just do some light cleaning. Go down to the auto parts store and get some of that rust stopper for the floor boards. I need to be restored!!

Cleaned up the engine a little

100_6655.jpg

Used some steel wool on the light frames and grill

100_6656.jpg100_6659.jpg[/img]

Edited by patd

Hey man I really like what ur doing with this beauty. I don't think it needs a frame off resto but a simple refresh will do. I really wanted this truck when I saw it for sale, but no room or moneys left.:rolleyes:

One suggestion, before the veterans say anything, I would warn you to try not to make 3 threads on the same truck. If you want one to show in off in the truck section and another to show progress in the project session, great. I don't want to critique, but those other guys may be a little more harsh.

Anywho, love the color, interior, straitness, it's all goooooood.

Hey man I really like what ur doing with this beauty. I don't think it needs a frame off resto but a simple refresh will do. I really wanted this truck when I saw it for sale, but no room or moneys left.:rolleyes:

One suggestion, before the veterans say anything, I would warn you to try not to make 3 threads on the same truck. If you want one to show in off in the truck section and another to show progress in the project session, great. I don't want to critique, but those other guys may be a little more harsh.

Anywho, love the color, interior, straitness, it's all goooooood.

Your right, I have decided just to clean her up and get all of the mechanical s working right. The truck is in really good condition for being almost forty years old.

Thanks for the tip, Another newbie posting to many treads.!!:)

This was in the glove compartment and the tool kit was behind the seat.

The little piece of paper is the original certificate from the dealer at Walnut Creek Datsun certifying that the smog additions were installed. And the reciept is for a new alternator from Chief auto parts back in 79. And stuck on the back of this receipt is a sticker from J.C. Penny's for the purchase of a battery. Pretty cool.:)

100_6661.jpg

Well since the rain finally stopped I got to work on the engine, I have not turned it over since getting it. I changed the oil (It looked like it has been in there since the last time it was run (94). Put a new oil filter in, It took me thirty five minutes to get the old one off, It was frozen on there. New thermostat. The carburetors linkage was pretty stiff and I had to WD40 it and work it back and forth, but it freed up pretty good, used some cleaner on it. The choke in the cab is frozen, so I will probably need a new cable for that. So after all that I turned it over and it would not start, so I just poured a little gas down the carburetor and she fired right up. It took around five minutes for her to warm up and run smoothly. I am pretty happy with the way it sounds, no knocks or oil leaks. :)

I uncranked the spare and this is what I found, The original tire that came with the truck!! Just what I needed, I have some hub caps that I just bought and one of the rims does not have the tabs on it to secure the hub cap, So I will have to use this one..

100_6662.jpg

Edited by patd